Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Is Troika Dead?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
"FO2 was better than FO1" :shock:
How could you Volly!

Milktooth

Novice
Some delusional shitbird said:
Fallout 2 was better than Fallout 1. Nice try. And, the Bg series was just as good as the Fallouts (though the Fos have better role-playing overall); but BG crushes FO in terms of characters and story.
Nope, you're wrong. On both counts. You lose.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"How could you Volly!"

I played both games. I saw the truth.

"Nope, you're wrong. On both counts. You lose."

Nope. I'm right and I win.

Milktooth

Novice
Fallout 2 was better than Fallout 1. Nice try. And, the Bg series was just as good as the Fallouts (though the Fos have better role-playing overall); but BG crushes FO in terms of characters and story.
Nope, you're wrong. On both counts. You lose.

Hahahaha. You are cute.
Thanks for the compliment but I don't have sex with homos. I wouldn't even fuck you if you were a woman. You are far too stupid for my taste.

You cna cry all you want; but BIO's games are all solid.
Not from where I'm standing. Bioware's games look like they were designed for adolescents with limited attention spans. That's why they were a big hit, especially with all the horny teenage losers who probably masturbated over the thought of having sex with Viconia.

Were you one of them?
I liked Arcanum so I won't bash it. TOEE's combat was not excellent. It was adequate. BL's plot was okay; but nothing speical. It's immersionw as very good - when it wasn't moving very slow or the next annoying bug didn't breka the game or you didn't have to slaughter another 80 ninjas after the spawned after you ahd alreayd cleared the room.
TOEE's combat was beyond excellent - it was one of the best turn-based combats in any game. Period. Nothing can compare to it, you know this. It was the most accurate and detailed implementation of D&D in any CRPG. BL's plot was better than anything your idol David Gaider managed to cook up in the john. Unfortunately, he forgot to flush the script. I never encountered the 80 respawning ninjas you're talking about because I moved through the remainder of the game at a fairly rapid pace, so I don't know what you're talking about. The respawning monsters in the Warrens didn't really bother me either, since you could take them out with a single shot. It just sounds like a reason to whine and bitch about something that isn't even a problem!

Onc eagain, you illustrate your stupidity. I said they were small. What? Did you think BIo magically appeared and had a reayd amde QA team of 50 people? What a dumbass. Next you gonna say that the Tooth Fairy is real. R00fles!

Once again you fail to understand the point because you're a dumb kid: Troika is a small independent development company compared to Bioware Corp. End of story.

BIo most certainly cares about the consumer more than Troika. Afterall, BIO patches their games without people having to beg for it, they actually have emssage baords where they listen to their fans, and they support games YEARS after their release. Troika doens't do any of that. All they do is point fingers at Troika. So, yeah, BIo has proven with actions that they care about the customer more than Troika has to date. This is an undisputable fact.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaahahahahhahaha right, kid. Bioware only cares about how much money they can swindle off of your parent's wallet. If releasing a patch will stop you from whining and bitching on the Bioware forums, they'll release one. They're shrewd businessmen and nobody is doubting that, but if you think they give a shit about their fans and care about their games more than about making money then you're deluding yourself, moron.

Troika released 3 patches for Arcanum. 3 for TOEE, and even supported the fans in modding, and Leon helped with workarounds in Bloodlines and I also suspect he had a hand in developing the fan-made patches when Activision tied Troika's hands behind their back over the subject. There is no disputing that Troika cares. You will also take note that Atari was entirely to blame for TOEE's bugs by not devoting any QA to the game, by forcing the game out before it was done, and by not supporting the game after it was released. Sierra forced Troika to implement real time and multiplayer to pander to the mainstream idiots, but Arcanum turned out better than most games. I have no problem with the way RT/TB is implemented in Arcanum: it's not as perfect as Fallout's but it's better than FOT's by a long shot. And it's WAY better than anything Bioware's produced over the years.

That explains why TOEE's story was dumbed down to abre bones or that Vampire's combat was nothing but hack n slash even to a greater degree than most full fledge action games.
What was dumbed down about TOEE's story? It was non-linear and allowed for plenty of character decisions.

Vampire is an RPG. You can't expect Doom 3 style FPS combat in an RPG, moron.

What risks? Stop lying. Troika's games did not sellw ell because they were buggy and unsupproted and were only half games. TOEE - all combat no story. BL all character no combat.
You're either a liar or you're deluded. There is a risk in developing RPGs because they don't sell anywhere as well as FPS or RTS games. Hardcore RPGs are even riskier because the market consists of 13 year olds with ADHD and can't put up with watching enemies take their turns.

You lose for this bullshit alone. You need to get a clue.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Rock on, dude, rock on.

You keep lying.

A. Troika wans't FORCED to do anything. Only a fool would think they were.

B. TOEE's story was dumbdown. Heck, it was virtually nonexistent. Oh wow, it ha dmultiplee ndings. Multiplee ndings are useless if the trip to get there is boring, useless, simple, and crap.

C. Troika released 3 patches (the last one fixing EXACTLY 1 thing) for TOEE because the fans raked them over the coals for their lazy attitude in not releasing them. And, Atari play tested those patches and put those patches out. Nice try though.

D. Keep spilling lies like 'Troika cares for fans' when their actions say otherwise.

E. Yes, BIoware is about making money. So is Troika. However, BIO's actions illustrate that 1. They are smart enough to realize pissing off your fan base with buggy, crappy games isn't how you make money/stay in business, and 2. That what their audience wants are solid games they that work; not stupid combat like in BL or a horribly basic story striaght from the 80s with TOEE. R00fles!

Keep up the good work dude. You R THA funny!

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Volourn said:
Yup. Interplay released some stinkers. No doubt about it. Of course, they also released BG series, Fos eries, PST, IWD, BGDA series, Wasteland and the list goes on. Keep spouting on their failures; but they sure have a lot more games that will be remembered long past any of Troika's games.

You wanted to say that Interplay has more polished and bug free games. All three of these were horribly broken when they were released. Giants and SFC2 are good games, but they were godawful buggy. In fact, SFC2 shipped with it's major feature, the dynaverse, completely not working. Giants had a huge number of bugs including one of the major attacks of the Reaper race crashing the game each and every time it was used, the tornado attack. FOT, I think we all know about the bugs in it, right down to at least ten of the perks not working at all. Even the popular perks, like Sniper, didn't work right.

Oh, and on the subject of FOT, Chris Taylor even said the turn based mode for it was never QAed. So much for Interplay's brilliant QA department, eh?

BG was pretty damned buggy when it was released. The fix list for that game was a mile long. PST still has numerous bugs in it, and there are even fans still releasing fixes for it.

But while we're on the subject, what about Descent to Undermountain? It was one of the most buggy games ever released - back in the mid-1990s, when most games actually worked out of the box.

Jinxed

Liturgist
Milktooth said:
What the fuck are you talking about idiot? It sounds like you've hopped onto the "I Hate Troika" bandwagon. There was absolutely nothing wrong with Arcanum's TB system and you fucking know it. It fucked the shit out of NWN, KOTOR or any of that other fucking trash that those money loving whores at Bioware ever produced. Troika was all about passion, baby. Don't be fucking disrespectful, kid, it'll get your stupid ass beat.

HAHAHAHA, I RUN a Troika FAN SITE! Yes, that's right, www.terra-arcanum.com

Either your entire post is a good try at sarcasm, or you're in real need of vacation.

Prove that you are serious about what you wrote, because... Holy mother of god, no one can be that stupid and arrogant.

Just for the record, I lost count of how many times I've played Arcanum, I've definetly tried out all the different character types there are, I love that game, seriously I do, but definetly not for the lame character and combat system.

Oh fuck it, I'll do it anyway:
Milktooth said:
What the fuck are you talking about idiot? It sounds like you've hopped onto the "I Hate Troika" bandwagon. There was absolutely nothing wrong with Arcanum's TB system and you fucking know it. It fucked the shit out of NWN, KOTOR or any of that other fucking trash that those money loving whores at Bioware ever produced. Troika was all about passion, baby. Don't be fucking disrespectful, kid, it'll get your stupid ass beat.

If the combat system was very much connected to the character system. The problem was that it was FUBARED. Anyone who has a pea of a brain knows this. The combat was way better for melee characters and... Well, I don't really feel to list out all the things, the list is darn long and everyone here knows it, except you. Go read up.

Bullshit! I swear you are just making this shit up as you go along. Random Encounters were no more often and no less seldom than they were in Fallout and Fallout 2. Don't be pulling this kind of shit out of your ass or you'll have to own up to it some day, kid. I reckon that will be the case when someone calls you on your pack of lies and you can't own up to it.

Right, in that case, the mod that removed all the random encounters from the game did not exist. Furthermore, mods that rebalanced random encouters don't exist as well.

With a high outdoorsman skill in fo, you could succesfully choose not to go into the encounter. A lot of people moaned about random encounters in Arcanum, how do I know this? I was in the community since the release of the game and visited a lot of forums and was staff at one. That's how I know. It wasn't only me who was getting tired of fighting 5 wolves, some bears, kites or some other shitbags as high as 4 times when travelling between cities. The train did not take you everywhere and if you had the dog you were fucked. Even a mage with teleport had to do some footwork.

The rats in FO 2 were a lot fewer

Is this a real complaint because it smells like bullshit. Kid, if this was your biggest fault with Arcanum you should shut the fuck up.

This is not complaining, it's stating facts. There is no comparison of low level mosters you fight in Arcanum and Fallout. Kites, wolves, undead... The whole game is filled with them.

And you're moaning about how dumb it is in Arcanum. By the looks of it, Nothing has changed. People like you are still a bunch of Bioware loving shitwhores and you think it's funny to pick on a small independent studio like Troika. Fuck you.

Well fuck you too. At least I have the brains to seperate shit from everything else and by the looks of it, you're having problems with that.

Do you want the game to be easy? I bet you're one of those shitheads who plays with all the cheat codes because you can't stop being a pussy and play the game like everybody else. Games are supposed to be challenging, dumbass. If we wanted games to be easy we'd all be playing watered down bullshit like Baldurs Gate and we'd be sipping it out of David Gaider's ass, like you are. Kid let me tell you something about gameplay, it has to be challenging, or it's childs play, not gameplay. Go play your kiddie Bioware console trash, shitbird and leave the real games to the adults.
Arcanum was so fucking easy that it hurt. Playing human gunsmithy tech only proved to be a challenge, because you didn't get any good weapons until far into the game, and the system itself is very unfriendly to those type of characters.

Listening to you is like walking through that fucking 'dregde'. Here's a note: If you want your arguments to be readable no matter how much dumbfuckery you decided to spew, at least try learning how to spell first. Try earning some respect first before shooting your stupid mouth off, kid, you've got mud in your face.

Fuck! I made a typo, I wrote dregde instead of dredge! Oh noes! Raise the alarm Bubba, the bombs are falling.

Avé

Liturgist
Exitium said:
Straw man argument.

I stated that 30fps was fine if you were used to it, but apparently that is all completely moot, because as you very well show on your Bloodlines benchmark, the minimum FPS was 4. Clearly unacceptable.

Remember what you wrote?

"games that run on 30fps look like slideshows on monitors. I just don't get how someone can say that 30fps is 'acceptable' when it clearly fucking isn't"

Or, how about

"People at hardware review sites wouldn't be criticizing a graphics card for performing at speeds of lower than 60fps if it wasn't a bad thing and I can guarantee you that it is most certainly a bad thing for a game to be displayed at so low a speed. It's choppy and headache inducing."

Or even,

"My bargain paid off. 35fps is fucking horrible. It's like a faster-paced slideshow, barely better than what you would see on TV. "

Straw man argument?
What the hell drugs are you on?

You clearly DIDNT SAY 30 FPS was acceptable if you were used to it, until pretty much everyone proved it was idiotic to think that 30fps was like a slideshow, or completely unacceptable.
Yet another straw man argument. When did I say that no new games are buggy these days? All I said was that Bloodlines was a very buggy game, if not one of the buggiest. IMO, Bloodlines belongs to the ranks of those games you mentioned in your list.
What you said was

"You are trying to downplay the critical bugs in Bloodlines by saying they are 'common in games' Please cite some examples. Most games don't have critical game-stopping bugs, much less several of them, because they are unacceptable. "

The majority of games you mentioned on your list are on my own list as games I refuse to play. I've critically panned Paradise Cracked for its awful implementation of TB, the Codex doesn't even cover Shadow Vault, and it's no mystery that I've always called NWN a very buggy game. With the exception of WOW, I don't play MMORPGs, either. Soldner? What a piece of garbage. The games on these list hardly excuse Bloodlines' bugginess, and in any case, you picked the lowest of the low.
NWN, Soldner, and quite a few of the other games on the list sold well and were apparently quite good behind the bugs.

It's not odd how games like Doom 3, Sims 2, Half Life 2, and Chronicles of Riddick aren't on that list. The reason they aren't on that list is because they're quality titles that weren't released in the same state that the games on your list, including Bloodlines, were.
Would you like to put state their development budget, time & Number of people on their team, and compare it to Troika?
Because I would really like to see the corollation.

If you are going to argue that 'every game is as buggy as Bloodlines', then why isn't a game like Chronicles of Riddick on the list? The reason is simple: It's not very buggy. Your arguments are fallacious.
They would be fallacious if I actually said the things you attribute to me, but I dont.

Delusions, remember?

What's the difference between internet journalism and newspaper journalism? The only difference is the medium it is printed on. In any case I do not understand the point you are trying to make by arguing that I'm not a journalist.
Because you seem to think reposting news and a few reviews means everyone should bow before your godhood.

If you are going to say something claiming that writing a few reviews, editorials and news doesn't make one a journalist, then pray tell, what does?
Have you written for any games magazines, or done any paid work for gaming sites?

Been accredited anywhere?

Been a part of the staff on any large game news/reviews site?

(yes, putting it according to numbers sucks, but there are too many millions of small fansites around to call anyone who writes a journalist)

Ave, I am beginning to suspect that you are something of an internet comedian.
Have you actually read the things you attribute me saying?
Because almost all of it I didnt actually say, and it's just you twisting my words.

BTW, about the minimum FPS in bloodlines.
A minimum fps of 5 is no acceptable, I get 1-2 in CS 1.6 when starting a map, and the same in most games when loading a map somewhere for the first time.

So dont bullshit.

Just to prove you wrong, here's my FPS numbers from fraps.

Code:
FPS
24<<<finished with the opening scene + decapitation
21<<<Loaded where you talk to jack
30<<<< leaving starting appartment after tutorial
21<<<<finished loading santa monica
21<<<loading club
14<finised loading

Jinxed

Liturgist
You had 60 fps going around Santa Monica? Damn, I wish I had that much. :/ I did a lot of research on the fps thing and this is what I came up:

In high end cartoons, each second is 25 frames for pal, or 28 for ntsc. This is perfectly normal, and most cartoons do not even get near. Only high bugdet movies get that. The other ones double, or triple the frames DRAWN in a given second.

A movie that has actual 10 frames drawn will still run at 25 fps. The trick is that each drawn frame is played at a ratio of 3/25 of a second, instead of 1/25. This is basically cheating, that is why animation seems to be missing. It's just not there.

In games, you cannot do this trick, each frame has to be generated, depending on the CPU power, and all, your pc may be able to generate at a ration of 1/60 per second, which is damn smooth. Suddenly, the ratio changes and the result is jerkyness, because the computer changed the ratio. In cases of persisting changes, we get something witch is known as stutter.

25 fps IS SMOOTH. Only if the frame rate is totally constant. The proof is right there in front of anyone, cartoons. they run at 25 fps and they are smooth. If one would increase the framerate to 60 fps, which would double the work for animators, people WOULD see the difference, but no one wants to make them at 60fps, because it's not cost effective. An animator would have to draw 60 individual pictures for each second, doubling the lenght of the tape, and the player would have to play it twice as fast.

Some games running at 25 fps are not acceptable, because the engine is flawed. Given more fps the player with see much better animation and can move faster, those games include Quake III arena, where the difference is noticabale up to 125 fps. A game like Doom III has this changed to 60 fps. If games had better engines, 25 fps would be very smooth but sadly they don't. A lot of them skip frames, don't display them correctly and then the bad frames are replaced by other frames. Animation can also be dropped. An engine would have to be capped at say 30 fps. Each frame would have to be generated correctly and non get dropped.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Wow, Avè, I haven't seen a post like yours in a long while. I like the huge font and the fraps log. Anyway, don't mind Exitium. He's just trying to save face. We all do it, and if you're here long enough, more than likely you'll do it at some point too.

As for the journalist part, I'm sorry, but once again you are mistaken. The internet has become a perfectly valid place for journalism. Also whether you're in a small publication or one of the largest in the world, you still get to be called a journalist.

Now if you want to call Exitium a shitty journalist, be my guest, but he is a journalist.

Spazmo

Erudite
I'd rather not be called a journalist. It suggests certain tricky standards like "objectivity" and "diligence" and "not lying".

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Spazmo, that's not true. You can lie and still be a journalist; look at all the tabloids. You can also be a journalist with no objectivity; just look at the Fox News website. You only have to keep up those standards if you have integrity.

Anyway, no one was accusing you of being a journalist. ;)

Avé

Liturgist
dojoteef said:
As for the journalist part, I'm sorry, but once again you are mistaken. The internet has become a perfectly valid place for journalism. Also whether you're in a small publication or one of the largest in the world, you still get to be called a journalist.

Now if you want to call Exitium a shitty journalist, be my guest, but he is a journalist.
But an internet site isnt a publication, lets be honest.
According to classical definitions of journalism, when applied to the internet literally, almost everyone's a journalist in some way/shape/form.
Journalism is a profession, just like authoring, and it denotes a certain amount of professionalism.

Is my posting a rant about Sacred an editorial?

Or making a post about how buggy and crap it is?

Is pasting a link to news on eurogamer.net being a reporter?

Perhaps everyone has their own definition, but I dont believe any tom, dick or harry that writes on the internet becomes one.

errorcode

Liturgist
Spazmo said:
I'd rather not be called a journalist. It suggests certain tricky standards like "objectivity" and "diligence" and "not lying".
how about if we used it like an insult?

You fucking journalist.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Whether or not you want to believe it, internet journalism is real. One of the more famous internet journalists is Matt Drudge. Most of what he does is link to news articles and he occasionally has editorials. Not much different than the guys on this site(though it is on a larger scale).

Anyway, it's a stupid point to be arguing. Believe whatever you want to believe.

Avé

Liturgist
dojoteef said:
Whether or not you want to believe it, internet journalism is real. One of the more famous internet journalists is Matt Drudge. Most of what he does is link to news articles and he occasionally has editorials. Not much different than the guys on this site(though it is on a larger scale).

Anyway, it's a stupid point to be arguing. Believe whatever you want to believe.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Drudge

First report on the Clinton blowjob scandal, makes an estimated 800k to 1.2million from his site per year has written his own book, and interestingly enough

"A federal judge noted in a judgment on a libel lawsuit, which ended in Drudge's favor, that Drudge was not a "reporter, a journalist, or a newsgatherer"."

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
We can play the wikipedia game if you want.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journalist

Check under the section Internet Journalists, you will find the name Matt Drudge.

Also a quote from the article:
"Reporters are one type of journalist. They create reports as a profession for broadcast or publication in mass media such as newspapers, television, radio, magazines, documentary film, and the Internet."

There is no need to try and change my mind on the topic, it's not going to change. I thought I made it fairly clear that you can believe what you want; and we already know what that belief is. So perpetuating this becomes an effort in futility.

bryce777

Erudite
I agree with one point vol made anyhow.

Fallout 2 IS better than one.

One lasted about ten hours, for starters, and the dialog was not nearly as good...and the 'villain' was a bit faggy ala star trek TNG counciler troy. I played 2 first, so I did not have the same expectations going in.

There was just so much in 2, so many hidden things and so much to explore.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"I agree with one point vol made anyhow."

I can die a happy robot now.

Jinxed

Liturgist
bryce777 said:
I agree with one point vol made anyhow.

Fallout 2 IS better than one.

One lasted about ten hours, for starters, and the dialog was not nearly as good...and the 'villain' was a bit faggy ala star trek TNG counciler troy. I played 2 first, so I did not have the same expectations going in.

There was just so much in 2, so many hidden things and so much to explore.

I've got just one thing to say to people who like fo 2 over fo 1

Size<Quality

Dialog was ruined by easter eggs.

BTW, The Master was by far, the coolest villain in any RPG.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
One of you said that Fallout 1 wasn't buggy. It's not true. Under DOS it could corrupt savegames; my friend got to the Cathedral only to see that the game crashed every time he tried to go to the 3rd underground floor and he couldn't load any of his saves. Of course, that's partially his fault for playing with 2 saves iirc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom