Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is there any game like Myth ?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
There are two things everyone at Codex (hopefully) learns:

1. Never spam

2. Forget about ever trying to win an argument with DraQ.

That is all.

rado907

Savant
I replayed Myth2&3 about a year ago, and, man, Myth 2 was good! But there are essentially no games like Myth. The Spellbound Robin Hood & Desperados titles come closest - and they are different games to be sure.

Myth 2 is unique in its awesomeness.
-----
Regarding the Spellbound games, Desperados was excellent, Robin Hood the best of the bunch and a classic, Desperados 2 had faults but was still good, and Helldorado was strictly for hardcore fans only. There was also some Mafia game nobody liked.

Last edited:

naossano

Cipher
You should also play Myth 1 or the port of Myth 1 campaign into Myth 2 engine.
The plot is a little bit more fuzzy and the bestiary smaller but there is more challenge, with your group regularly stripped of your usual combination of units.

insukk

Augur
Patron
Codex 2012
This thread reminded me of something. There was a Kickstarter for the spiritual sequel of Myth (or even it was called Myth?), that failed to gather the needed sum of money, if i recall correctly. I'm not able to find any information about that project, but i'm curious what happened with it. Maybe some fellow Codexer will remember the name of this game?

I also agree with naossano, Myth 1 is really worth playing at least once. For me it's slightly better than second one, which is still amazing of course.

A horse of course

This thread reminded me of something. There was a Kickstarter for the spiritual sequel of Myth (or even it was called Myth?), that failed to gather the needed sum of money, if i recall correctly. I'm not able to find any information about that project, but i'm curious what happened with it. Maybe some fellow Codexer will remember the name of this game?

I also agree with naossano, Myth 1 is really worth playing at least once. For me it's slightly better than second one, which is still amazing of course.

I don't recall a proper spiritual successor project (though some games, like Nekro, referenced Myth) but there was this bizarre, almost certainly illegal project which caused a fair bit of drama in the Myth community (such as it is these days): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mythstarter/mythstarter

edit: and the drama since that's what RPGCodex really cares about http://tain.totalcodex.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6085

Last edited by a moderator:

Wulfstand

Prophet
The Banner Saga reminds me of the kind of vibes Myth 3 would give me, somehow.

Why won't a serious development team pitch a kickstarter for at least a decent spiritual successor already? ;_;

Perkel

Arcane
The engine pitch sounds nice but the IP already has a publisher....

I am reading that thread. Hilarious stuff.

Basically dudes gone for kickstarter with:

- no license to do MythIV (GUYYYZZZ IT IS LEGAL)
- didn't even contact Take 2 (C&D 100% assured)
- uses other people work
- uses other people tweaks to engine
- 0 own work beside few models.

Best of that is butthurt.

Part of me wishes he would get that 450k create a game and then Take 2 would send him C&D shutting down everything and getting that 450k now spend money from him due to fraud.

modding drama is the best drama

Only modder drama i know better than this is Brutal doom drama.

naossano

Cipher
Seems that they did release something at one point, which just a polish of the texture, no new features. (some features mentioned in the trailer were already did by other modders)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom