Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is post-apocalyptic setting old&busted?

mondblut

Arcane
Riddick would be a better example than Kotick.

I don't know who Riddick is other than some strange easter egg character in Fallout Tactics, but I bet he couldn't sue you out of your children and your kidneys, all while being praised by media :smug:

Ninjerk

Arcane
I think the main thing holding primitive settings back is lack of combat equipment. Having a CRPG with just some spears, swords, leather shields, and grass skirts/animal skins that are really no different than any other piece of equipment is what thinking of a primitive setting gets me. Less complex/non-medieval western society (and up) = less social and combat trappings to play with.

Also, what do you do with a setting where muskets have been invented? They're horribly inaccurate, prone to break, have long recovery time after a single use, but get a few rows of men together and the best swords, axes, shields, and armor you can craft might as well be plastic because you're dead without an effective surprise attack. Has anyone tried making a non-stragegy game CRPG in this era that didn't feel ridiculous? I mean- good-bye now useless heavy, stinky armor and hello weird-looking clothes that wouldn't protect you from a butter knife. On the plus side there have been a ton of interesting stupid fire-arms made of varying d/effectiveness even up to recent times (note the duck-foot pistol:

Aim at what you love most and destroy the world around it!)

"Dieselpunk" type setting is ripe with combat equipment. If you look up experimental weapons on dieselpunk.org or w/e the main enthusiast site is, there are some pretty cool as well as kooky weapon designs from U.S. to Eastern Europe.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
I think the main thing holding primitive settings back is lack of combat equipment. Having a CRPG with just some spears, swords, leather shields, and grass skirts/animal skins that are really no different than any other piece of equipment is what thinking of a primitive setting gets me. Less complex/non-medieval western society (and up) = less social and combat trappings to play with.

Yes.

Also, what do you do with a setting where muskets have been invented? They're horribly inaccurate, prone to break, have long recovery time after a single use, but get a few rows of men together and the best swords, axes, shields, and armor you can craft might as well be plastic because you're dead without an effective surprise attack. Has anyone tried making a non-stragegy game CRPG in this era that didn't feel ridiculous? I mean- good-bye now useless heavy, stinky armor and hello weird-looking clothes that wouldn't protect you from a butter knife.

With Fire & Sword if it counts. You'd still be retarded not to use the heaviest armor available there, muskets or not. Armors up to three-quarters were still extensively used well into 17th century.

:thumbsup:

Grim Monk

Arcane
Black Death 1347-51
About 45–50% of the total European population died during a four-year period.
In Mediterranean Europe, areas such as Italy, the south of France and Spain, where plague ran for about four years consecutively, it was probably closer to 75–80% of the population.

Half of Paris's population of 100,000 people died.
In Italy, Florence's population was reduced from 110–20 thousand inhabitants in 1338 down to 50 thousand in 1351.
At least 60% of Hamburg and Bremen population perished.

The historical aftermath of the Black Death as a setting for a Medieval Post Apocalyptic RPG.
I don't think that's ever been done before.

Edit: Early Year in the same Century.

The Great Famine of 1315-1317 (or to 1322)
The Great Famine was the first of a series of large-scale crisis that struck Europe early in the 14th century, causing millions of deaths over an extended number of years and marking a clear end to an earlier period of growth and prosperity during the 11th through 13th centuries.

Starting with bad weather in the spring of 1315, universal crop failures lasted through 1316 until the summer of 1317; Europe did not fully recover until 1322.

It was a period marked by extreme levels of criminal activity, disease and mass death, infanticide, and cannibalism. It had consequences for Church, State, European society and future calamities to follow in the 14th century.

Historians debate the toll but it is estimated that 10–25% of the population of many cities and towns died.

While the Black Death (1338–1375) would kill more people, it often swept through an area in a matter of months whereas the Great Famine lingered for years, drawing out the suffering of the populace.

The Medieval Ages have great potential as PA setting.

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
Black Death
In Mediterranean Europe, areas such as Italy, the south of France and Spain, where plague ran for about four years consecutively, it was probably closer to 75–80% of the population.

In Italy, Florence's population was reduced from 110–20 thousand inhabitants in 1338 down to 50 thousand in 1351.

The historical aftermath of the Black Death as a setting for a Medieval Post Apocalyptic RPG.

Darklands, kinda.

Saduj

Arcane
In the US, I think part of the appeal of post apocalyptic fiction and doomsday prepping is that more and more people feel marginalized by the continuing decline of our economy. The skills needed to thrive in a post apocalyptic situation would be vastly different than those that make one rich now. Also, paper money would be worthless so one's current lack of it would be meaningless.

Also, someone mentioned wanting a to see an RPG set in a Thundarr-like setting. I think Numenera is kind of close.

mondblut

Arcane
In the US, I think part of the appeal of post apocalyptic fiction and doomsday prepping is that more and more people feel marginalized by the continuing decline of our economy. The skills needed to thrive in a post apocalyptic situation would be vastly different than those that make one rich now. Also, paper money would be worthless so one's current lack of it would be meaningless.

Good point, too. Postapoc: a worthless hobo's fantasy, where everybody is as pisspoor and helpless as him. :smug:

Grim Monk

Arcane
Good point, too. Postapoc: a worthless hobo's fantasy, where everybody is as pisspoor and helpless as him. :smug:

You mondblut seated on a throne mounted on top of a BTR-80, as you drive down the road surrounded by your Motorbike Machete Warriors leisurely surveying the former “Leningrad Oblast” now the Kingdom of Mondblutia!

But hey if you want to be a "pisspoor hobo" that's up :smug: to you...

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane

You mondblut seated on a throne mounted on top of a BTR-80, as you drive down the road surrounded by your Motorbike Machete Warriors leisurely surveying the former “Leningrad Oblast” now the Kingdom of Mondblutia!

But hey if you want to be a "pisspoor hobo" that's up :smug: to you...

Certainly, when everyone is suddenly a pisspoor hobo, a bigger pisspoor hobo will immediately start climbing the social ladder, via taking stuff from people he couldn't even approach without getting beaten up and arrested IRL. No wonder Fallout and Stalker are so kvlt in russia, lol. Proles' take on escapism. :obviously:

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
your moms are old and busted, fallout is awesome and lord of the flies is a great book.

MoLAoS

I must have access to this smiley elsewhere on the internet. This is perfect for being a grammar snob. Why does the Codex have all these great smileys that I can't get anywhere else?

Why does it delight in torturing me!?

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Black Death 1347-51

Edit: Early Year in the same Century.

The Great Famine of 1315-1317 (or to 1322)
The Great Famine was the first of a series of large-scale crisis that struck Europe early in the 14th century, causing millions of deaths over an extended number of years and marking a clear end to an earlier period of growth and prosperity during the 11th through 13th centuries.

Starting with bad weather in the spring of 1315, universal crop failures lasted through 1316 until the summer of 1317; Europe did not fully recover until 1322.

It was a period marked by extreme levels of criminal activity, disease and mass death, infanticide, and cannibalism. It had consequences for Church, State, European society and future calamities to follow in the 14th century.

Historians debate the toll but it is estimated that 10–25% of the population of many cities and towns died.

While the Black Death (1338–1375) would kill more people, it often swept through an area in a matter of months whereas the Great Famine lingered for years, drawing out the suffering of the populace.

The Medieval Ages have great potential as PA setting.

I cannot brofist you more. Should be a sticky topic for all the designers trying to come with their "original" ideas.

Visbhume

Prophet

The closest example to a real-world post-apocalyptic scenario I can think of are the Americas in the years after the arrival of the spaniards. Old world infectious diseases raged on the unprepared populations with a virulence that makes the Black Death look like a common cold in comparison. Societal disintegration and political chaos ensued. According to some estimates 90% of the native population died. This was what allowed the europeans to take over: they were basically fighting the survivors of a biological apocalypse.

Ninjerk

Arcane

The closest example to a real-world post-apocalyptic scenario I can think of are the Americas in the years after the arrival of the spaniards. Old world infectious diseases raged on the unprepared populations with a virulence that makes the Black Death look like a common cold in comparison. Societal disintegration and political chaos ensued. According to some estimates 90% of the native population died. This was what allowed the europeans to take over: they were basically fighting the survivors of a biological apocalypse.

The beginning of the :decline: of the Golden Age of Islam is pretty depressing; thousands-year-old irrigation systems completely undone, "river ran black with the ink of books and the blood of scientists and philosophers killed," and probably a good deal of tasteful rape.

Borelli

Arcane
Fall of the Western Roman Empire. 5-6th century, biker gangs barbarian hordes rampaging everywhere, people run from the cities to villages, massive loss of culture and knowledge. Not completely post-apo but it has potential.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
Anyone else ever wondered what the aftermath of George Orwell's Animal Farm would be like? It was a pretty scary story.

glorious jim

Literate
don't forget VD's fabled generation ship game. post-apoc on a goddamn spaceship

lends itself so well to multiple factions interaction, each with their own beliefs, goals, advantages/disadvantages. the ultimate C&C arena

it will be interesting to see how VD handles writing companions since it's supposed to be party based. they can't all be grizzled and grim backstabbing motherfuckers like AoD NPCs

or at leas I hope they won't be

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think the idea behind a post-apocalyptic setting is that it happens to everyone, not that an invading force is unscathed while your people are wiped out.

Anyone else ever wondered what the aftermath of George Orwell's Animal Farm would be like? It was a pretty scary story.
The USSR from 1922-1953?

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
The USSR from 1922-1953?

I meant more like with the pigs and humans banding together and how it would affect the lesser animals who still want freedom from humans. That very last sentence at the end of the book about how the dog's breath on the glass blurred her vision of the pigs' and farmers' meeting, making it hard to tell the difference between pig and human was a perfectly chilling ending to the book that set up my "what now?" curiosity.

Grim Monk

Arcane

Why limit your self to a spaceship?

The Post Apocalypse, IN SPACE!!!

The fall of the Roman Galactic empire ushering in a new dark age.
Breakdown of central authority.
Large parts of space sinking to a tech level far below space travel, maybe even below the industrial revolution.
Neo-Feudalism.
Warlords carving up their own empires out of the wreckage.
Completely weird societies/cultures arising from people being trapped on isolated hostile worlds, and having to survive on their own.

Take stuff like Isaac Asimov's "Foundation Series", Strugatsky Brothers "Noon Universe", or even "Dune" for inspiration.

The possibilities are endless...

Last edited:

Esterhaze

Augur
Also, what do you do with a setting where muskets have been invented? They're horribly inaccurate, prone to break, have long recovery time after a single use, but get a few rows of men together and the best swords, axes, shields, and armor you can craft might as well be plastic because you're dead without an effective surprise attack. Has anyone tried making a non-stragegy game CRPG in this era that didn't feel ridiculous? I mean- good-bye now useless heavy, stinky armor and hello weird-looking clothes that wouldn't protect you from a butter knife. On the plus side there have been a ton of interesting stupid fire-arms made of varying d/effectiveness even up to recent times (note the duck-foot pistol:

The pipe gun was the best part of Fallout 2. Primitive firearms could work great in an action point turn-based rpg or tactics game as the slow, rare, unstealthy and expensive but powerful and long range counterpoint to a bow and arrow. A post apocalyptic setting like The Chrysalids or 16th/17th century Europe/Ottoman Empire is just begging to be rpg settings.

Alchemist

Arcane

Why limit your self to a spaceship?

The Post Apocalypse, IN SPACE!!!

The fall of the Roman Galactic empire ushering in a new dark age.
Breakdown of central authority.
Large parts of space sinking to a tech level far below space travel, maybe even below the industrial revolution.
Neo-Feudalism.
Warlords carving up their own empires out of the wreckage.
Completely weird societies/cultures arising from people being trapped on isolated hostile worlds, and having to survive on their own.

Take stuff like Isaac Asimov's "Foundation Series", Strugatsky Brothers "Noon Universe", or even "Dune" for inspiration.

The possibilities are endless...

I'm working on something like that - kind of like Gamma World in Space (Gamma Space?). I like the generation ship idea (like Metamorphosis Alpha, precursor to Gamma World) - but want to explore what taking it further beyond the ship looks like. Some major space catastrophe might have disabled the generation ship and cut off nearby planets from their support networks. The failing generation ship automatically jettisons its occupants onto one of these chaotic worlds. Hilarity ensues..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom