Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is post-apocalyptic setting old&busted?

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
When Fallout came out, and for many years after, I was quite taken with the grim post-nuclear world portrayed in the game. Yes, I read stories before, like Sheckley's "Store Of Worlds", but this was a seemingly living world inside my computer!

There was something romantic about the simplicity of survival in the decaying world, a sense of adventure in a strange environment where all rules have changed. The gusts of sand blowing over an overturned, rusty car. Town guards blowing away giant rats that are getting at the town's food supply. Packs of lawless gangs scavenging the wastelands.

Now I find this feeling gone.

Post-apocalypse has become increasingly popular, and, in its various forms, flooded movies, TV shows, games. Fallout 3 and New Vegas came and went, Wasteland 2 is upcoming, The Walking Dead has been a comic, a TV show and a videogame, there's been a bajillion zombie movies portraying the world in various stages of ruin, and suddenly that romantic image of a rust-covered car has lost its novelty to me.

When it comes to CRPGs, is there something fresh and imaginative to be squeezed out of "Earth's quasi-realistic grimdark post-apocalypse"?

Does it still seem interesting/romantic/appealing to you, or do you think this cow ran out of milk?

Are there plot threads that were left unexplored, and yet can be implemented via CRPG structure?

Does the setting itself still lend a heavy emotional weight that makes it immersive, or are we desensitized by now?

Maybe, the one who is waiting for you, will prove untrue, then what will you do?

laclongquan

Arcane
PA setting has been done, but only a very few has been done well.

The allure of post apocalyptic is never romance or interesting. It's the process of rebuild the ruins up to its former glory, or at least stem the tide of entropy.

By that criteria, Fallout 1 is okay, but lesser than Fallout 2. Of course Fallout Tactics will be worse than both. And Fallout New Vegas will be the top.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Maybe its cause we moved from cozy and optimistic world of 1996 into the upcomming Global War, Machete enrichment squads and baby GMO flavored meat too much. When reality is becoming more violent, chaotic and absurd every day the fiction looses ITZ appeal. Fallout on Iron Man 24h/7D? No thanks.

laclongquan

Arcane
I am legend is actually a poor example of PA zombie. That subgenre concentrate on kill-a-lot (cause zombie is evil human with no redeeming factor), scavenging and rebuild society (if you can). That movie is not a good one, since we are more of the opinion that reality is just the crazy hallucinations of Will Smith living alone in the ruins than a sad existence of a PTSD scientist.

mondblut

Arcane
PA was started and finished by Mad Max 2. Everything after that was a cheesy ripoff. That includes Fallout, of course.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd like to see a post apoc that does use nuclear war or zombies as a base, like- after effects of a supervolcano, another ice age, or so.
And maybe a representation that emphasizes more on the desolation and general hopelessness of it all than on looking ahead and rebuilding.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

mondblut

Arcane
I'd like to see a post apoc that does use nuclear war or zombies as a base, like- after effects of a supervolcano, another ice age, or so.

Pfft. Waterworld (the flood). Or Last Days of Gaia (biosphere experiment gone awry). And not a shit changed.

PA, as a genre, is always about donning a stupid BDSM-wannabe outfit you've always wanted to try IRL but didn't out of fear of being ridiculed, and gunning down your pesky neighbour because he is suddenly a ravenous abomination and now you are entitled to. That's the point of it, not the silly philosoraptoring over "zomg, see how society changes blah blah blah" - that might have been a point the first time, now it has about the same value as "evil always loses" in fantasy.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Does the setting itself still lend a heavy emotional weight that makes it immersive, or are we desensitized by now?

I think the problem is that the popularity of this subgenre of science-fiction (in every medium) was at first grounded in the Cold War and the fear of atomic power... a "raison d'être" that disappeared a long time ago. The romanticism you speak of only applies after the genre has become slightly irrelevant i think.
That's why i'd say the recent fad is mainly fueled by nostalgia : today's post-apocalyptic fictions are no longer conceived as a support for parables, allegories and thinly veiled political discourses. Now post-apoc worlds are just a "given", and the genre is cemented by a certain imagery, not because it makes sense.

What can perhaps be done about that (and i don't think those choices exclude each other) :

- find new relevance by devising a world underlined by meaning that fits the world of today (Metro indirectly speaks of today's russian society, and New Vegas is an example of an internally coherent world, that on top of that begins to get past its own destruction) ;
- don't do anything : just exploit the genre for what it's worth, but try to avoid ending up with something gratuitous like Fallout 3's hollow plot and fetishized 50's esthetics ;
- acknowledge the dated values that gave birth to the genre by being ironic : the first Fallout constantly opposed the "Mad Max" grimdarkness of the actual world, to the vapid, overly optimistic imagery of the 50's ;
- address those problems in your own way by twisting the genre or the esthetics associated with it : Stalker did that with a localized apocalypse and retrofuturistic imagery for example ;
- more importantly, good, intense and tight gameplay (and some survival mechanics for God's sake !) will make anything feel fresh : in video games the gameplay IS the world somehow...

Last edited:

Destroid

Arcane
I'm too young, but from talking to older folk (like people in their 60s-70s), they really did think for a while that the world might end in nuclear fire. To have that kind of existential thread hovering over you must be quite a potent feeling, it's no surprise that a genre of fiction arose exploring this possibility.

EDIT: Ninja'd by like 10 seconds :(

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
No matter how tired the premise, good stories can always be told. So, ask not about premise fatigue, ask about your ability to make a good story based on the premise instead. :)

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I never did like the setting. It's always seemed absurdly unrealistic to me - as is any dystopian setting; I don't think there was a literature study book I hated more than Lord of the Flies.
But Lord of the Flies isn't a dystopian setting

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Since so many PA movies, games etc. just repeat the same cliches and stereotypes and you could easily make something original, I dont see how the genre can be considered dead.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I never did like the setting. It's always seemed absurdly unrealistic to me - as is any dystopian setting; I don't think there was a literature study book I hated more than Lord of the Flies.
But Lord of the Flies isn't a dystopian setting
It's a clear precursor. It's even kinda 'post-apocalyptic' in that it explores a pessimistic view of a simplified society broken down into tribalism and savagery.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
It's a clear precursor. It's even kinda 'post-apocalyptic' in that it explores a pessimistic view of a simplified society broken down into tribalism and savagery.
It explores how kids are monsters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom