Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is playing old consoles like Sega Gen, N64 acceptable?

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO GOOD NEWS ANYTHING OLD IS OKAY

IT IS DIFFICUULT TO BE SO INTELLIGENT AND DISCERNING GAMERS BUT WE CANT HELP IT

Destroid

Arcane
How did Neogeo not become a staple home console, it has way better games than Sega/Nintendo.

Black

Arcane
No, only NES. SNES if you're not too loud about it.

Seymour

Liturgist
Lol at "acceptable". Troll thread?

Destroid said:
How did Neogeo not become a staple home console, it has way better games than Sega/Nintendo

The Neogeo had a very limited library. Sure, what good games it had were awesome and leagues above other consoles, but aside from the few genres it excelled at (fighting and run n' guns, mostly, some puzzlers as well) it was seriously lacking.

It was also expensive like a motherfucker.

Black said:
SNES if you're not too loud about it

Personally, I blame the SNES for setting games' difficulty bar on retard level, so not much love for it.

MetalCraze

Arcane
NES and Genesis were the last bro consoles.

Then PS1 came and everyone jumped onto the shitty "let's make our arcades in 3D making them not fun" bandwagon.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
NES was fucking awesome. :) I never touched a single Nintendo DS game after i tried NesDS, now i only use my DS to play old NES classics.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Nintendo 64 and Genesis are the two consoles I grew up on. Tons of awesome games to be had provided you don't fall into the "cartoons are stupid and for kids" mentality which would pretty much spell the death of Nintendo during the late 90s and early 2000s as Sony rose to prominence.

EvilSatan

Educated
Man, Doom64, SM64, Turok + franchise, Gauntlet were the shit.

Then there was that game where you play as the Gecko and you run around tounging everything, I forgot the name of the game though. I think there were 2 games in the series.

DakaSha

Arcane
Gex
And consoles before Ps1 rocked.
If you like jrpg's then you can add the ps1 but then you are half a faggot

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Though N64 was a pretty cool console, it doesn't make the concept less bad. All the good games that came out for Genesis, Megadrive or N64 could have easily been made for PC (controllers can be connected to a PC, y'know?)

The problem lies with the concept of consoles in itself, not necessarily the quality of the games or the fact that it uses a controller.

DakaSha

Arcane
i dont think there was anything wrong with paying for a much cheaper box that required the press of a power button to play over an expensive piece of technical equipment that required a bit of reading up on the get anything running.. not to mention all the shit one could fuck up

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I was big on the NES and SNES until I switched to PC gaming somewhere around 1993. I still play NES and SNES games on ROMs sometimes.

Never had a Genesis. My wife did and loved the Sonic games, though not much else.

circ

Arcane
Destroid said:
How did Neogeo not become a staple home console, it has way better games than Sega/Nintendo.
Extreme price. Console itself was around $600, and that was back in the 90s, and the cartridges were each $200+ or so, depending on the game. In its defense, it had pretty much the same board NG used in their arcades. They released NeoGeoCD a little later, but variety in their games just didn't exist, and the price was still pretty beefy.

Destroid

Arcane
Ah that's probably why I perceive it as having better games. When I'm emulating it's usually to play fighting games.

hanssolo

Educated
shit is great.

landstalker12-consolefun.fr.png

plus pretty good ports of MM2 and Ultima 4.

N64 was a bit lame, consoles died that generation.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
circ said:
Extreme price. Console itself was around $600, and that was back in the 90s, and the cartridges were each $200+ or so, depending on the game. In its defense, it had pretty much the same board NG used in their arcades. They released NeoGeoCD a little later, but variety in their games just didn't exist, and the price was still pretty beefy.

This. The prices were fucking ridiculous. With prices like that the target audience was basically high end gaming connoisseurs and/or the extremely wealthy.

Of course it is, they used to have a distinct library of games after all. PC for Steel Panthers, SNES for U.N. Squadron, Mega Drive for Micro Machines 2 Turbo Tournament...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom