Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Dragon Age franchise over?

Will EA fund DA III?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

ortucis

Prophet
If BioWare is disintigrated, then EA will turn its eye upon middle earth Obsidian.

When they are done with Obsidian it'll be Pirahna Bytes or CDProjekt.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
ortucis said:
If BioWare is disintigrated, then EA will turn its eye upon middle earth Obsidian.

Not before Zenimax get their hands on Obsidian first.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
ortucis said:

Na, don't think so. None of those companies are big names, or all that profitable, by EA standards.

No franchise is ever over in gaming.

Give it a few years following with the announcement that "Dragon Age 3 is here and going back to the roots of what DAO was all about [unlike the shitty Dragon Age 2, which we can now call shit because it hasn't made us money since it was released]"

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Nah.

EA is making a new Command and Conquer.
That is after they drove that series into the ground.

CC4 is so many kinds of stupid that i lack the words to describe it.

Oesophagus

Arcane
Excommunicator said:

Give it a few years following with the announcement that "Dragon Age 3 is here and going back to the roots of what DAO was all about [unlike the shitty Dragon Age 2, which we can now call shit because it hasn't made us money since it was released]"

More like: which we can now call shit because we have to show how much better the new game will be

Topher

Cipher
Oesophagus said:
Excommunicator said:

More like: which we can now call shit because we have to show how much better the new game will be

Yet somehow that shit still works. It's shameful.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Bullshit. Espicially since DA2 was cheaper to make thann DA1 so it doesn't even have to sell as much to see profit. It will end up with 2.5-3.5m copies sold.

Anyways, DA3 will be made most likely.

Captain Shrek

Volourn said:
Bullshit. Espicially since DA2 was cheaper to make thann DA1 so it doesn't even have to sell as much to see profit. It will end up with 2.5-3.5m copies sold.

Anyways, DA3 will be made most likely.

Bullshit (TM).

I had such childish ideas of success too when I was 13 yo.

In corporations, profits are not decided by only net profits but by meeting projections. DA2 was supposed to have sold ~10 million (??) copies if I remember some EA announcement correctly. If it sells ~3 M copies as you say, DA franchise WILL indeed be shut down (and I think that it will JUST reach that target). Look at some of the numbers I have posted earlier.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"DA2 was supposed to have sold ~10 million (??) copies if I remember some EA announcement correctly."

Quote taken out of context. This comes from some BIO dude stating that to really be a mainstream hit a game would need to sell 10mil. He also said that ME and DA were just 'moderate' hits becaue they sold 'only' 3mil copies.

That is NOT the same as stating that DA2 needed to sell 10mil 'or else'.

Don't be brainwahed by peons who take quotes out of context.

BIO's main goal has always been to be the elite of the elite when it comes to sales. Theya ren't ther eyet (and likely never will be) since theya re at the lower end of 'main stream'.

Captain Shrek

Volourn said:
"DA2 was supposed to have sold ~10 million (??) copies if I remember some EA announcement correctly."

Quote taken out of context. This comes from some BIO dude stating that to really be a mainstream hit a game would need to sell 10mil. He also said that ME and DA were just 'moderate' hits becaue they sold 'only' 3mil copies.

That is NOT the same as stating that DA2 needed to sell 10mil 'or else'.

Don't be brainwahed by peons who take quotes out of context.

BIO's main goal has always been to be the elite of the elite when it comes to sales. Theya ren't ther eyet (and likely never will be) since theya re at the lower end of 'main stream'.

Volourn, if you have been really paying attention towards Bioware's announcements and their trends then be honest and accept the following:

They no longer want to make quality games. They want to make games that will snatch the maximum audience. Laidlaw clearly mentions how he want to target the CoD/Farmville/The Sims audience. Do you actually believe still that this is the same Bioware that gave you BG?

Sometimes it is necessary to drop the visor of nostalgia and be practical and discerning. Bioware HAS BECOME SHIT. It is full of bad writers, bad designers and bad audience. It tends to happen in all industries.

http://images2.memegenerator.net/ImageM ... e=Jimwales

Volourn said:

"Well, we need to sell 10 million units," said Zeschuk. "That's actually the new target, right? We do Top 10 games, our stuff is quite successful."

Videogamer.com interview - this is not "some bio dude" this is BIO founder.

Captain Shrek

Befuddled Halfling said:
Volourn said:

"Well, we need to sell 10 million units," said Zeschuk. "That's actually the new target, right? We do Top 10 games, our stuff is quite successful."

http://www.videogamer.com/news/10_milli ... arget.html

yeah you're probably wrong captain shreck. they're not going to abandon this now established trademark just because of one flawed game. the alternative would be to come up wioth a completely new fantasy setting, which seems like kind of a huge overreaction.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Do you actually believe still that this is the same Bioware that gave you BG?"

Agreed. They're better.

Nowhere does he state 'if DA2 doesn't sell 10mil copies it is a failure and a bomb'. You dumbass. Don't confuse 'pie in the sky wishful thinking' as an actual sales goal.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
"We need to sell 10 million units. That's what we do."
Thus, if they don't sell 10 million then they have failed to do the thing they do.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
So.. DA1, ME2, ME1, JE, KOTOR, NWN, BG2, BG1, SS, and MDK2 are all failures finanically wise/ Ok then.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
zelda64whatagreatgame said:
yeah you're probably wrong captain shreck. they're not going to abandon this now established trademark just because of one flawed game. the alternative would be to come up wioth a completely new fantasy setting, which seems like kind of a huge overreaction.

Setting? No, Bioware yes if they'll screw up again.

random_encounter

Educated
I wouldn't be surprised to see DA3 a few years later after this shitstorm dies down, though wonder if they'll go back to Laidlaw as the sole Lead Designer again.

Topher

Cipher
Volourn is right as far as the sales goal argument is concerned. DA2 was certainly successful enough to perpetuate the series. If DA2 had been the first entry into a new IP it might very well have been abandoned but it wasn't. It's part of an established franchise, I know it's sad that a franchise is considered established these days after two pitiful entires but that's they way executives see things.

Yeesh

Magister
Befuddled Halfling said:
Volourn said:

It's hilarious how you responded by digging up the same quote and taking it right out of context. The speaker was answering a question along the lines of, "How many copies would you need to sell to achieve your dream of having a huge ass fucking hit by mainstream (Call of Duty) standards?", which is not at all to be confused with the question, "How many copies would you need to sell to keep DA2 from being a terrible failure?"

Here's that again:

Q: I enjoyed your keynote speech this morning. You mentioned that BioWare had been lucky to have a few 'minor hits'...

Greg Zeschuk: Well, not minor!

Q: I was going to say. If Mass Effect 2 is a 'minor hit', I can't wait to see a major one.

GZ: Well, we need to sell 10 million units. That's actually the new target, right? We do Top 10 games, our stuff is quite successful. I know Mass [Effect 2] is number eight so far this year, in North America. Sometimes I'm facetious when I say some of those things, knowing that we can sell a few million but seeing that someone else can sell 25. You're kinda like, 'Well, that's a hit!' We always joke that if we only do half as well as Blizzard on Star Wars: The Old Republic, we'll be quite satisfied. We've been very fortunate. I always joke about that, but...

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I hope DA dies as a franchise. But I have been disappointed so many times recently that I wont bet on it.

Anyone knows how DA sold on PC?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom