Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is BioWare this inbred and retarded?

ever

Scholar
In fact I'd wager that there are many hollywood movies a whole lot of the people calling hollywood bland have enjoyed and liked.

I'd be surprised, JarlFrank, if you can truly say that hollywood has not produced one film that has not given you atleast some utility at some point in time.

I think that might be a case of trying to impress one another by proving you all dislike what "the dumb masses" with greater and greater absurdity. So there's probably a social aspect to this whole phenomenon as well.

I've noticed with indie music he social aspect is very explicit and kinda lol too

ever

Scholar
Hory said:
Maybe because it's statistically verifiable that these are choices made by people with low IQ
Really now?

Last I checked the distribution of IQs of cinema goers was approximately normal with a mean of 100 and a standard devation of 15 ;)

Just answer this question, do you people really, honestly, seriously believe that liking obscure things means that you are necessarily liking things that only people with higher IQs can like, and that everything else only people with lower IQs like?

Shannow

Waster of Time
Clockwork Knight said:
Its like if something is popular, successful or actually good in any way people here will hate it.
For something to be popular, it means it usually needs to be dumbed down, otherwise the masses wouldn't like it.
That's not even true. Ever's very premise that we hate everything that is popular, is wrong. We (well some of us) are just capable of critical thought and will analyse our own likes and dislikes. THus knowing what we want and bitching when it isn't provided. We also judge PR by the claims made and by the end-product. If something we might actually like is promised but not provided (Bioware's "coices and consequences" for the most part, Oblivion's "Radiant AI", etc) we will judge the game more harshly. I could go on with lots of cases and examples (gaming "journalists", devs "innovating" game mechanics that have been present for decades, etc.) in this vein, but really can't be bothered.
Boils down to: we are not very impressionable by hype, we won't go "ooh, shiny" about the package if the contents suck and we hate ever because he is stupid. Moronic masses hardly factor in.

ever

Scholar
You sound reasonable.

I'll be honest, I'm mostly a troll

However most of my more genuine comments are inspired by what is an undeniable and pervasive attitude of a hatred for all that is popular and a bitterness that does exist, and don't tell me that it doesn't, towards some non-existent "mass" of people who are seemingly stupider than the person writing.

Sure it might have started as you put it as a product of "critical thought" but it has evolved through the social phenomenon of the "circle jerk" into outright absurdity.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ever said:
In fact I'd wager that there are many hollywood movies a whole lot of the people calling hollywood bland have enjoyed and liked.

I'd be surprised, JarlFrank, if you can truly say that hollywood has not produced one film that has not given you atleast some utility at some point in time.

I think that might be a case of trying to impress one another by proving you all dislike what "the dumb masses" with greater and greater absurdity. So there's probably a social aspect to this whole phenomenon as well.

I've noticed with indie music he social aspect is very explicit and kinda lol too

I like some Hollywood movies. Doesn't mean that they're exceptionally good and/or intellectually stimulating. But fact is, Hollywood produces way more crap than it produces good stuff. Heck, even mindless action films used to be better in the past.

Mystary!

Arcane
New trailer has choice and consqeuences. Wanna smack some bitch up or not? You can literarly choose in this video. Why don't they just release the whole game in it's true form, a choose-your-own-adventure movie?
But Achtung! it's in german.

BSOD

Novice
Fight the machine, ever. You're a real fucking Socrates, you know that?

Unwanted

RaXz

Unwanted
ever said:
However most of my more genuine comments are inspired by what is an undeniable and pervasive attitude of a hatred for all that is popular and a bitterness that does exist, and don't tell me that it doesn't, towards some non-existent "mass" of people who are seemingly stupider than the person writing.

Sure it might have started as you put it as a product of "critical thought" but it has evolved through the social phenomenon of the "circle jerk" into outright absurdity.

And nevermind why it has come to pass, there are reasons that people are acting like this. It developed over time with a lot of disappointments, more and more crap is churned out. And more in favour of business itself.. The same old song that the music industry went, in the worst cases there are underpayed devs, while the 'top' people are filling their pockets. But that is a society thing that doesn't limit to the game industry.

The best medicine against disappointment is in my opinion, hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
What? He's right.
Most so called elitist or intellectuals on the internet or elsewhere for that matter are just people who didn't get over being alienated as teenagers. So they find refuge in pseudo high culture, supposedly being aristocratic in nature, when it's really just their capacity to adapt socially that is at fault. They're not smart or take the time to learn and be something, they just get a kick out of feeding their superiority complex by identifying a 'mass' versus 'the intellectuals' (sometimes it's just a 'mass' versus 'me', which is even more hilarious), when in fact they are part of the sheep themselves. RPG codex is even more funny because it bases this kind of ominous pseudo intellectual shit on games, and games are not art or high culture in any way, so it makes the whole thing even more ridiculous than it has to be.

Surely labelling Hollywood as bland shit is a bit too strident for something that has been able to entertain, inspire and make happy billions of people around the globe for around 70 years now.

Eat shit, billions of flies can't be wrong

This is true. But then, I also like shity junk food, but I'm not pretending it's okay.

and games are not art or high culture in any way

They're not high culture, but we're not going to argue what is and what isn't art.

Marcel%20Duchamp%20-%20Toilet%20ready-made%20-%20Dada-Movement%20-%201917%20-T1.JPG

btw, the purpose of this one is to tell smug people anything can be art, not just what they deem artistic on their smug throne of smugness

That's not even true. Ever's very premise that we hate everything that is popular, is wrong. [...]we hate ever because he is stupid. Moronic masses hardly factor in.

yeah, I went off the trails there. Just felt like saying that after the "hurr everyone likes it so it's obviously good"

I certainly don't think you can make a better movie than a hollywood director and I certainly don't think you can make a better game than bioware corp.

lol, WELL CAN YOU DO BETTER isn't an argument. Just because I'm not a cook doesn't mean I can't tell when food tastes like shit. Next argument: "We should be thankful they are making these games for us!"

That's retarded, if I cared about opther people's opinions I'd be watching the shitty movie of the week so I wouldn't feel "left out" by everyone. What's the point of impressing a couple of guys (over the internet, at that)

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
JarlFrank said:
ever said:

I like some Hollywood movies. Doesn't mean that they're exceptionally good and/or intellectually stimulating. But fact is, Hollywood produces way more crap than it produces good stuff. Heck, even mindless action films used to be better in the past.
The 80's was the golden age of action.

Arem

Scholar
fyezall said:
New trailer has choice and consqeuences. Wanna smack some bitch up or not? You can literarly choose in this video. Why don't they just release the whole game in it's true form, a choose-your-own-adventure movie?
But Achtung! it's in german.
That's the Choice 2.0?
1. Kill her and lose influence with Alistair.
or
2. Help her and gain a companion but lose influence with skimpy. Don't worry you can regain it later!

I hope there is a meaningful consequence for this choice later in game... but as we all know that would mean an exponential increase in complexity right? :(

Chateaubryan

Cipher
Emotional Vampire said:
Is that supposed to be an example? Show me the art part of Chess.

I obviously can't.

My point is that games being cultural and/or art is at least debatable. Centuries have been spent by Go and Chess players to refine techniques and strategies, up to the point some moves have been qualified as "crude" or "elegant", or even "beautiful". Thoses games develop, as they go, a context. They illustrate the struggle between two intellects, two sensitivities. They tell a story. They represent a battle, or a dialog, even. As much as they stimulate intellect, they can stir emotions.

And still, both games can be reduced to a number of combinaisons, just as much as Da Vinci's Mona Lisa can be reduced to a number of 0 and 1, to be viewed in an internet browser.

I guess you can get utterly bored from a lenghty chess game just as much as you can get bored of another landscape painting.

It's up to the viewer, I guess.

Gosling

Liturgist
Chateaubryan said:
Emotional Vampire said:
Is that supposed to be an example? Show me the art part of Chess.

I obviously can't.

My point is that games being cultural and/or art is at least debatable. Centuries have been spent by Go and Chess players to refine techniques and strategies, up to the point some moves have been qualified as "crude" or "elegant", or even "beautiful". Thoses games develop, as they go, a context. They illustrate the struggle between two intellects, two sensitivities. They tell a story. They represent a battle, or a dialog, even. As much as they stimulate intellect, they can stir emotions.

And still, both games can be reduced to a number of combinaisons, just as much as Da Vinci's Mona Lisa can be reduced to a number of 0 and 1, to be viewed in an internet browser.

I guess you can get utterly bored from a lenghty chess game just as much as you can get bored of another landscape painting.

It's up to the viewer, I guess.

The ultimate goal of chess is to defeat your opponent, efficiency comes first, beauty of combinations comes second. Your every move is dictated by necessity, not by the desire to express yourself freely. The beauty you're talking about is a beauty of solution to a problem. It can be admired from a technical point of view (hence the "elegance"), but will never become art. It's an excercise of skill, much like in sports.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Serious_Business said:
What? He's right.
Most so called elitist or intellectuals on the internet or elsewhere for that matter are just people who didn't get over being alienated as teenagers. So they find refuge in pseudo high culture, supposedly being aristocratic in nature, when it's really just their capacity to adapt socially that is at fault. They're not smart or take the time to learn and be something, they just get a kick out of feeding their superiority complex by identifying a 'mass' versus 'the intellectuals' (sometimes it's just a 'mass' versus 'me', which is even more hilarious), when in fact they are part of the sheep themselves. RPG codex is even more funny because it bases this kind of ominous pseudo intellectual shit on games, and games are not art or high culture in any way, so it makes the whole thing even more ridiculous than it has to be.

calm down serious business you're taking this too

well, you know

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom