Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is BioWare this inbred and retarded?

1eyedking

Erudite
coldcrow said:
There goes another bland and broing crap. What I detest about many modern games most is the utter blandness, visible through art direction

Malachi said:
If you consider that video games are capable of having artistic merits of their own, why bring another art, i.e. cinema, into it at all? Put another way, instead of trying to imitate films in a medium that is not film, why not instead attempt artistic merit using the possibilities inherent to a *VIDEO GAME*.
BioWare just doesn't trust the sickly gamer pansies to grab the fun by the collar. It wants to shove its 'experience' deep enough for any princess to moan of 'immersion' and not be able to sit for weeks afterwards, telling all her friends about her McDreamy.
Bethesda, on the other hand, prefers its followers to play with noone but themselves, thus denying them the satisfaction they long so hard... but are not allowed to get. "Not yet", it purrs, as it caresses them with DLCs...

Unwanted

RaXz

Unwanted
coldcrow said:
No one of the tavern patrons is sitting .. Stand-In I guess or chair-saving day?

Hey, at least one sat down just before the battle. Maybe it's the only one that saw the dark and gritty battle approaching.

Sagus said:
If you consider that video games are capable of having artistic merits of their own, why bring another art, i.e. cinema, into it at all? Put another way, instead of trying to imitate films in a medium that is not film, why not instead attempt artistic merit using the possibilities inherent to a *VIDEO GAME*.

The movie market is a much bigger market, it's more about interactive movies now.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
WOW I DON'T THINK I CAN TOUCH THIS ONE BROS TOO MUCH FOR ME EVEN.... HOLIE SUCK SHIT

Ohlie

Novice
RaXz said:
The movie market is a much bigger market, it's more about interactive movies now.

It's sad, but the (mis)use of "cinematic" as unqualified praise will not be going away. Very few people care about the pointy-headed distinction between "games aping films" and "games qua games".

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Bloodlines was cinematic. Actually the cutscenes are one of the weakest parts of the game for me (not to speak of the horrible bugs that happen in them).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Making a game linear and filling it with cutscenes doesn't make it cinematic. In a movie, you always feel that the main character can decide for himself, and he makes his decisions based on his personality. In a linear game, YOU are the main character and the story only feels forced when you can't make any decisions.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well at least, Bloodlines only made the mistake of cutscene paralysis 2 times i think (tutorial gunning down, forgivable for emphasis on Jack), stupid pointless cutscene where Nines saves you from 3 sabbat idiots. The very end is forgivable since it follows from a conscious decision, and shows how much of a wimp the prince is (though i would like a torment like menu, with choices:

*cut his throat*
*cut his throat and open the sarcophagus*
*defenestrate*

)

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
JarlFrank said:
Making a game linear and filling it with cutscenes doesn't make it cinematic. In a movie, you always feel that the main character can decide for himself, and he makes his decisions based on his personality. In a linear game, YOU are the main character and the story only feels forced when you can't make any decisions.

nope most movies are predictible shit much like biowhore games

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Jaime Lannister said:
JarlFrank said:

I'm not talking about bland hollywood crap, I'm talking about good movies.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
JarlFrank said:
Jaime Lannister said:
JarlFrank said:

I'm not talking about bland hollywood crap, I'm talking about good movies.

Except it seems Bioware is trying to imitate the bland Hollywood crap.

ever

Scholar
So what's wrong with Hollywood?

Its like if something is popular, successful or actually good in any way people here will hate it.

Is it because if you like obscure things that you feel like you're in on an exclusive club and that makes you feel like you have some "inside" knowledge that other people aren't privy to? Is it because of a jealousy towards success? Is it because by not liking successful things is the only way you can justify yourself not being successful, because that way you can say other people are to stupid to ever recognize true genius (liek the one you think you hold?

Really someone tell me the psychology behind the masochistic mentality that leads people to do very irrational things like watch indie movies, play indie games or listen to noise music

Warden

Arbiter
ever said:
So what's wrong with Hollywood?

Its like if something is popular, successful or actually good in any way people here will hate it.

Is it because if you like obscure things that you feel like you're in on an exclusive club and that makes you feel like you have some "inside" knowledge that other people aren't privy to? Is it because of a jealousy towards success? Is it because by not liking successful things is the only way you can justify yourself not being successful, because that way you can say other people are to stupid to ever recognize true genius (liek the one you think you hold?

Really someone tell me the psychology behind the masochistic mentality that leads people to do very irrational things like watch indie movies, play indie games or listen to noise music

This post should be stickied. Liking 'special' things they feel special. :)

ever

Scholar
Maybe you guys genuinely do enjoy these things though but you know if thats the case you should be more humble about it being a bunch of freaks and all.

For something to be popular, it means it usually needs to be dumbed down, otherwise the masses wouldn't like it.

Humans are the opposite of Mass Effect's Geth; the more of them, the dumber they get

Is it because if you like obscure things that you feel like you're in on an exclusive club and that makes you feel like you have some "inside" knowledge that other people aren't privy to?

Not really, since anyone interested can "join" our obscure society (which is composed of stuff anyone can see/play/listen/watch/read if they're willing to look past the "top ten most popular" list, btw).

Most people don't because they want dumbed down shit, though.

Is it because of a jealousy towards success? Is it because by not liking successful things is the only way you can justify yourself not being successful, because that way you can say other people are to stupid to ever recognize true genius (liek the one you think you hold?

The problem isn't things being successful in the first place, it's what it takes for them to become successful. No one here would complain about Troika being successful, because that would mean we'd get more Troika games. However, I'm prety sure that for them to be successful, they would have to put a lot of stupid shit in their games so retards would like it.

They're usually not done with the "We need to fill this with a lot of shit so people will buy it...so, tits or explosions, which is better and why" mentality. Also, I don't get what you mean by "irrational". Are they inherently bad or something?

ever

Scholar
Who are these dumb masses? I mean its never you its always the other guy right?

What is being dumb? Sure if its based on "you don't like obscure titles of a similar entertainment we both enjoy, you're dumb" then its easy to know.

The fact of the matter is most people aren't dumb, and many successful, smart and intelligent people enjoy what you'd consider "for the dumb masses"

How then do you know, that you are not in fact the one who is dumb?

Not saying you are. I'm just curios, what is it about you that makes you smarter than all these other people? Is it because you chose different products within the same entertainment group than they?

Frankly I don't think its too likely that you are smarter than the average Hollywood movie watcher or the average Mass Effect player. I certainly don't think you can make a better movie than a hollywood director and I certainly don't think you can make a better game than bioware corp.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

IF MANY PEOPLE LIKE IT IT MUST BE GOOD
IF IT IS NOT MAINSTREAM AND NOBODY LIKES IT, WHY SHOULD IT BE GOOD? INDIE STUFF SUCKS LOL IF IT WOULDN'T SUCK EVERYONE WOULD LIKE IT. LOGICAL, IS IT NOT?

ever

Scholar
Like I said it is possible you guys really do enjoy these things and they do have a genuine heartfelt appeal to you that is not influenced by just the fact that it goes in the face of other people. That's good, people should be able to find something they enjoy

But why be so bitter about it? Why say other people's choices are "dumb" ?

Surely labelling Hollywood as bland shit is a bit too strident for something that has been able to entertain, inspire and make happy billions of people around the globe for around 70 years now.

Hory

Erudite
ever said:
But why be so bitter about it? Why say other people's choices are "dumb" ?
Maybe because it's statistically verifiable that these are choices made by people with low IQ?
Surely labelling Hollywood as bland shit is a bit too strident for something that has been able to entertain, inspire and make happy billions of people around the globe for around 70 years now.
Doesn't take much to keep a pig happy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom