Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview inXile's Torment successor officially announced on RPS, will use Monte Cook's Numenera setting

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Between this, Wasteland 2, Chaos Chronicles and P:E we have all the Codex' favourite game-styles covered:

Storyfaggy RPG, sandbox exploration with C&C, old-school turn-based dungeon-crawling and RTwP combat/story in the style of the infinity engine. I'm not sure we could ask for more. It's great that the Codex is critical (I am too, in the P:E thread especially), but push comes to shove, if we act like this isn't the most promising time in 10 years, we're just bullshitting.

My complaints in the P:E-thread and debates with Roguey are minor details compared to the fact that we actually have stuff to discuss now - stuff actually relevant to the interest of this site.

Zakhad

Savant
Between this, Wasteland 2, Chaos Chronicles and P:E we have all the Codex' favourite game-styles covered:

Storyfaggy RPG, sandbox exploration with C&C, old-school turn-based dungeon-crawling and RTwP combat/story in the style of the infinity engine. I'm not sure we could ask for more. It's great that the Codex is critical (I am too, in the P:E thread especially), but push comes to shove, if we act like this isn't the most promising time in 10 years, we're just bullshitting.

My complaints in the P:E-thread and debates with Roguey are minor details compared to the fact that we actually have stuff to discuss now - stuff actually relevant to the interest of this site.

:bro:

St. Toxic

Arcane
combat seems to exist mainly because adventure games went down the shitter in late 90s so they had to somehow sell the game to RPG fanbase instead

It probably wouldn't do them any favors economically to label it as an adventure game, that's certainly true. But crpg's have always been sort of a hybrid bastard child of adventure games and p&p mechanics.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
combat seems to exist mainly because adventure games went down the shitter in late 90s so they had to somehow sell the game to RPG fanbase instead

It probably wouldn't do them any favors economically to label it as an adventure game, that's certainly true. But crpg's have always been sort of a hybrid bastard child of adventure games and p&p mechanics.

You're talking to mondblut, man. Them's fighting words.

St. Toxic

Arcane

Well, I don't know his stance on this stuff, but if a game is nothing other than an abstracted combat simulator it's basically a dungeon crawler. Add plot, or branching storylines, or problems to solve -- i.e interactive literature aka adventure games -- and you get a crpg. :M

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014

yeah i feel strangely happy about all this stuff

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Well, I don't know his stance on this stuff, but if a game is nothing other than an abstracted combat simulator it's basically a dungeon crawler. Add plot, or branching storylines, or problems to solve -- i.e interactive literature aka adventure games -- and you get a crpg. :M

michael-jackson-eating-popcorn.gif

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
'Ofcourse it will be a Kickstarter...'

So...how about actually making a game from the money you have earned Fargo? You got your dough for Wasteshit 2, so make it, sell it, then use the profits to make this Numeshitera game.

But no, being a greedy whore you are going after free money again. (yes there is the option to pre buy the game, but when you add in higher tier rewards that is basically free money as the rewards are typically much cheaper than what they are worth monetarily)

And RTwP to boot...that just kills my interest there and then.

Stupid assholes...apparently the 'hardkore' crowd now are the ones who played Baldurs Gate II when it was first released...13 years ago. I guess even Kickstarter will never fnd a Realms of Arkania spiritual sequel series. :(

EG

Nullified

So...how about actually making a game from the money you have earned Fargo? You got your dough for Wasteshit 2, so make it, sell it, then use the profits to make this Numeshitera game.

But no, being a greedy whore you are going after free money again. (yes there is the option to pre buy the game, but when you add in higher tier rewards that is basically free money as the rewards are typically much cheaper than what they are worth monetarily)

It would appear to be good business sense: don't spend money you don't have to, when a source of funding is readily available.

Go Internet, and such.

Rake

Arcane

Stupid assholes...apparently the 'hardkore' crowd now are the ones who played Baldurs Gate II when it was first released...13 years ago. I guess even Kickstarter will never fnd a Realms of Arkania spiritual sequel series. :(
Well, they have tried.It didn't go so well.The true "hardcore" crowd just can't generate millions.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I know you're trolling, but this is an opinion I've seen honestly reiterated elsewhere, and it's incredibly stupid. What do I care about whether some idiot wants to spend 10.000$ to help make a game I'd like to see made? I'll only support with whatever I find sensible myself.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
EG Grunker

No, it's the principle of the thing. You have already been blessed with a large amount of money, far more than expected from Kickstarter. Now, use that money to generate more money, instead of asking for more freebies. And no, I am not speaking from jealousy or butthurt, it's just that I do not find this morally acceptable. Kickstarter was supposed to be about getting a business or a one off product/idea Kickstarted, using the success of which one could then make a good living doing something they enjoyed, not an unlimited bucket of free money which is it fast becoming for some. It's becoming a business, instead of a platform by which people could make dreams come true.

And like all businesses, it will eventually morph into one that only caters to the bottomline, rather than the idea itself.

Rake

No they haven't 'tried'. That Guido Henkel game was not a RoA spiritual sequel, it was a game idea with unique elements that was Kickstarted by a person (Henkel) who had worked on the original RoA games. One of the main reasons it failed was that it did not attract the RoA crowd, including myself. Pro Tip: If you want to attract the real hardkore old school crowd, you shouldn't be paring down stats/skills/crunch. Rather, taking the advantage of modern processing power, you should be scaling up. Way way up. A true RoA fan wants a crpg where when one opens up one of his/her PCs stats page, he feels like he is looking at a page from a high level Calculus examination sheet.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Player:"Yay, I'm so psyched. A new campaign. I read in a prestigiuos magazine that Toughnes is worthless and longswords are objectively the best weapons. With this meta knowledge I'll rock the campaign!"
DM : "Ok, now that you've all finished your characters, the campaign is quite short and I'm quite stingy with xp, so don't expect to reach level 2.
Now, let's start:
It is late evening. You are standing in a graveyard. As the sun sinks the dead rise. You find yourself surrounded by skeletons."
Player:"FUUUUUuuuu. Shouldn't have listened to morons on the internet without using my own brain."

EG

Nullified
You have already been blessed with a large amount of money, far more than expected from Kickstarter. Now, use that money to generate more money, instead of asking for more freebies.
Ideally, it's not as though funds for Wasteland 2 go into General Revenue and can be used to "generate more money" on any other project.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer

I was waiting for your appearance, but honestly this is not nearly vituperative enough. I am sorely disappointed. You didn't even mention how they're all scamming us by using the Torment name, how Numenera is a blandshit setting designed by a hack, and how Fargo is just stealing our money to make console Bard's Tale clones.

Moribund

A droglike
Well you take money from them so you are biased. But he makes a good point.

You don't really even need KS for game like this, and what's more they are already showing that they think this is how it's going to be from now on. But they don't have a right to big donations for every game and simply aren't going to get it. They might squeak out one more KS but I'm sketchy as to whether this one will make it since it's basically "we have a cool game story idea, roofles!". Probably the last one though, unless they have some supremely awesome idea or niche product like our muslim friend mentions. KS isn't going to be like game developer welfare, but to get a leg up. Whatever they sell now for WL 2 is pure profit so I don't see why they'd need to get funding anyway, though I appreciate he's probably trying to basically restore the old Interplay.

Moribund

A droglike
Because if you really only care about the story just make it first person. RTwP is a LOT more annoying. Problem is there's already a lot of games made like that and there's 100 Alpha Protocols or Fables for every Deux Ex or Bloodlines.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom