Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News inXile reveal Wasteland 3's party system

Severian Silk

Guys, to put this in perspective, in X-COM you start with zero characters!

inXile Kickstarters: give us money to work without a publisher until we can find a publisher.

This is quite unfair. In the normal publisher -developer relations it is the publisher who greenlights projects, who decides on features etc. KS publishers are only boys for hire who handle packages and do some marketing and outsource bugfixing.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't look down on Wasteland 2 as much as some, and I think it was a well intentioned effort that just couldn't live up to expectations.

But every single thing we've heard about this sequel is bullshit and I am not going to play it, ever.

acer palmatum

Scholar
https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&p=177041#p177041

Sear: "Hey guys, thanks for voicing your thoughts. However, you are reading too much into that interview. In Wasteland 3, we're still building on Wasteland 2's party-based system and giving you the ability to create and customize Rangers. The main difference is we're planning for you to start out as a single character, before forming a full party out of created characters and companions."

So let's put away the torches and pitchforkes - at least on THAT matter.

200.gif

The only way it ends for the lying sack of shit.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Sear: "Hey guys, thanks for voicing your thoughts. However, you are reading too much into that interview. In Wasteland 3, we're still building on Wasteland 2's party-based system and giving you the ability to create and customize Rangers. The main difference is we're planning for you to start out as a single character, before forming a full party out of created characters and companions."

Bubbles You could update the OP with this, instead of just posting half truths to ignite the fires of butthurt.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
FUCK OFF.
TRIGGERED.

SEES UPODATED.

DOUBLE FUKK OFF WITH THE SPIN.

fuck off. fuck off. fuck off.

Doktor Best

Arcane
The Codex butthurt is real. Most of you will still buy the game when its released and a few mildly positive codex reviews are out. Same with Bards Tale 4, same with Numanumaney.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I sense very transparent bullshit... as if they are contemplating a unique paradigm, romanticizing the concept with narrative. And they noticed some people liked the old way but that way is flawed and the likers of it naive. How novel a thing they have invented. But it would be difficult and challenging to pull off, so they are putting all of their big brains on it.

I say this with no fucks given and not even a passing interest in W3 to get upset about. Just my observations.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

Bubbles You could update the OP with this, instead of just posting half truths to ignite the fires of butthurt.

Our news item is directly quoting the Redbull article, which has not been updated or corrected. And we don't usually quote forums posts as news. However, in this case I will make an exception and add Mr. Schwartz's quote to the OP.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Our news item is directly quoting the Redbull article, which has not been updated or corrected. And we don't usually quote forums posts as news. However, in this case I will make an exception and add Mr. Schwartz's quote to the OP.
Thank you. :salute:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The updated part:

Update: inXile developer Eric Schwarz has issued a statement on the Wasteland 3 forums:

In Wasteland 3, we're still building on Wasteland 2's party-based system and giving you the ability to create and customize Rangers. The main difference is we're planning for you to start out as a single character, before forming a full party out of created characters and companions.​

We have reached out to inXile with a request for further clarification.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
KS publishers are only boys for hire who handle packages and do some marketing and outsource bugfixing.

Yes, if you were to believe Fargo.

I find it very hard to believe that a company will put money into something without sticking their dick into it too. Remember, it's not inXile who pays Techland (therefore they're definitely not "boys for hire"), but Techland is spending their own money on this and I really doubt it they just give money away for the physical versions and marketing and just wait to see what happens.
I guess we will never know, but I bet the delay of TiToN and the consolization is on them. Not that I would put it past inXile to be all on them, though.

KS publishers are only boys for hire who handle packages and do some marketing and outsource bugfixing.

Yes, if you were to believe Fargo.

I find it very hard to believe that a company will put money into something without sticking their dick into it too. Remember, it's not inXile who pays Techland (therefore they're definitely not "boys for hire"), but Techland is spending their own money on this and I really doubt it they just give money away for the physical versions and marketing and just wait to see what happens.
I guess we will never know, but I bet the delay of TiToN and the consolization is on them. Not that I would put it past inXile to be all on them, though.

Were not the previous deals with Deeo Silver and Paradox based on giving them % of income of boxed copies?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I wonder where this bullshit Codexian Fargo the Salesman meme comes from; you'd think that if he were just a soulless businessman who doesn't even really care about the long forgotten IPs that he revives, he'd actually make big money with games outside of this tiny little RPG niche market he carved out for himself.

... producing games that makes big money isn't exactly easy or necessarily possible. You need hundreds of programmers and animators.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Were not the previous deals with Deeo Silver and Paradox based on giving them % of income of boxed copies?

As far as we know.

Not all deals are the same, though. Techland definitely looks more involved than Deep Silver.
And even if was just doing the boxed copies, how do you see a company just giving money for that? Seems like a risky thing to give money in the hope that something sells enough for you to make profit. I'd think you'd want to have a more hands-on approach.

This is called investing, it involves risks. It all depend on how much % will one boxed copy bring do the publisher. Cost of producing are low, so with hight enough %, even selling small number of copies can be providable and if the game sells more than that safe low number forecasted by the publisher, then it can be quite a good investment.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I wonder where this bullshit Codexian Fargo the Salesman meme comes from; you'd think that if he were just a soulless businessman who doesn't even really care about the long forgotten IPs that he revives, he'd actually make big money with games outside of this tiny little RPG niche market he carved out for himself.

... producing games that makes big money isn't exactly easy or necessarily possible. You need hundreds of programmers and animators.

A man with the connections and a name like Fargo could have also found a job at a larger company. Instead he kept afloat with some throwaway games during the long night, until the time was right do the things again that he actually wants to make.

Pretty much like that other 'shady salesman' Sven Vincke did.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Most of you will still buy the game when its released and a few mildly positive codex reviews are out."

Nah. I already 'bought' it based on WL2 so NO, I won't be buying it post release, you DUMFUK.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Oh, well I approve of this compromise.

We have reached out to inXile with a request for further clarification.

Trolling aside, why would you even bother?

naossano

Cipher
Which sentence of the initial post make you think the party creation will be removed?

And all i got was WTF...

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The original article didn't say anything about removing party creation, it only advanced a different definition of the term: “You’ll have your initial character, and then you will certainly come across a wide range of NPCs throughout the world. But you will be able to adjust the stats of other party members."

Initial character + wide range of NPCs + being able to adjust the stats of party members. Maybe the part where the devs talked about creating multiple characters was cut by the editors because it was too boring for their target audience?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom