Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

inXile General Discussion Thread

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Just out of curiosity, would people here like a FNV style Wasteland spin off? Player going to Detroit for example?
What do you mean, "FNV style"?
An first person action style game with stat elements and quests and plotlines with multiple outcomes.
That's Fallout 3 style.
Well I do mean something more cohesive than that game, gameplay mechanics and quest structure wise.
With a quest compass, objective markers, leveled loot and enemies, weapons damage scaling with skill level, Skinner box crafting system and quest journal entries written such that you can’t complete quests without the compass?
No, possibly the compass optional for anyone who really can't follow the clues. Leveled loot, do you mean that loot improves per player level? No, definitely starter areas having lower level loot than higher level areas. Same with the enemies. Some way to fix the weapons damage scaling/skill thing. I don't know a solution for the crafting system. No, quests should be complete-able without the compass, it should not be required.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No, possibly the compass optional for anyone who really can't follow the clues. Leveled loot, do you mean that loot improves per player level? No, definitely starter areas having lower level loot than higher level areas. Same with the enemies. Some way to fix the weapons damage scaling/skill thing. I don't know a solution for the crafting system. No, quests should be complete-able without the compass, it should not be required.
That's not like Fallout 3 or FNV. You're basically making up a new game, which is fine, but call it what it is.

Would I play a groundbreaking, incredibly good and monocled first-person RPG in the Wasteland universe? Sure.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
That's not like Fallout 3 or FNV. You're basically making up a new game, which is fine, but call it what it is.

Would I play a groundbreaking, incredibly good and monocled first-person RPG in the Wasteland universe? Sure.
Oh, I thought what I suggested was just a modified version of the FNV concept with some tweaks here and there.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

One-time Olympic hopeful and leader-in-exile Brian Fargo is a true legend. He founded Interplay and inExile Entertainment. He’s made dozens of smash hit games like Wasteland, Battle Chess, Lost Vikings and Fallout. He’s now mastering time and space with the Newgate Clockwork Revolution. We talk sales shenanigans, AI and much more in this week’s episode.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Another good glassdoor review for inxile

Great team with leadership that cares
Former Employee, more than 1 year

Pros

You will work with some great and talented people. Egos are checked at the door, and devs conduct themselves with compassion and humility. Pay is very good for a smaller studio, beating out that of some higher profile studios. Studio leadership treats you like a human being, not a cog in the machine. This is inXile's greatest strength.

Cons

Not enough research and development time leads to building the plane while flying it.

So they're making their wild and crazy time travel RPG without any strong planning, that should be fun for them.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Another good glassdoor review for inxile

Great team with leadership that cares
Former Employee, more than 1 year

Pros

You will work with some great and talented people. Egos are checked at the door, and devs conduct themselves with compassion and humility. Pay is very good for a smaller studio, beating out that of some higher profile studios. Studio leadership treats you like a human being, not a cog in the machine. This is inXile's greatest strength.

Cons

Not enough research and development time leads to building the plane while flying it.

So they're making their wild and crazy time travel RPG without any strong planning, that should be fun for them.

TBF, this is modus operandi for most gamdevs. The only real strong exceptions are Japanese studios and corporate AAA mega projects (which are more about branding, audience building, etc than actual dev planning).

Cohesion

Scholar
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Give me Wasteland 4!

...and please don't make it first person.
Lisa's_Nightmareopaw.jpg

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I liked Wasteland 1 and 2. But 3 is console trash. I'd rather they don't make any more Wastelands.

Huh. I could see liking 1 and not 2 & 3 (or vice versa), but 2 & 3 feel pretty similar to me outside of the combat. To me 3 feels like a more polished, less janky version of 2 with combat I initially didn't like but grew on me.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
To me 3 feels like a more polished, less janky version of 2 with combat I initially didn't like but grew on me.

To me 3 is like a console version of 2. They added cinematic dialogue and console UI (hate both). 2 wasn't janky, I completed it on release without bugs.

goregasm

Scholar
I liked Wasteland 1 and 2. But 3 is console trash. I'd rather they don't make any more Wastelands.

Huh. I could see liking 1 and not 2 & 3 (or vice versa), but 2 & 3 feel pretty similar to me outside of the combat. To me 3 feels like a more polished, less janky version of 2 with combat I initially didn't like but grew on me.
I consider 1 and 2 some of my favorites, really didn't get engaged with 3.

Wasteland 2 was sort of..how FNV treated 1 and 2. There was plenty of nostalgia train and keeping a fairly consistent universe and theme.

WL3, while I didn't HATE it, I am definitely not a fan of it's much more streamlined approach to everything, the setting was a really cool idea, looked great, outside of that can't say it was an improvement or even felt like the other 2 games, to me at least.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well, that Avowed video made me wonder if the “developers” weren’t rendered AI instead of real people.

….. could be!

Just maybe….

Faarbaute

Arbiter

I consider 1 and 2 some of my favorites, really didn't get engaged with 3.

Wasteland 2 was sort of..how FNV treated 1 and 2. There was plenty of nostalgia train and keeping a fairly consistent universe and theme.

WL3, while I didn't HATE it, I am definitely not a fan of it's much more streamlined approach to everything, the setting was a really cool idea, looked great, outside of that can't say it was an improvement or even felt like the other 2 games, to me at least.
Wasteland 2 was an ambitious, unpolished game while Wasteland 3 was an unambitious, polished game. That's my takeaway from having played and enjoyed both games.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wasteland 2 was an ambitious, unpolished game while Wasteland 3 was an unambitious, polished game. That's my takeaway from having played and enjoyed both games.
I wouldn't say Wasteland 3 having a more reasonable scope (and even then Fargo demanded things that were unreasonable, like co-op) makes it unambitious.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
I wouldn't say Wasteland 3 having a more reasonable scope (and even then Fargo demanded things that were unreasonable, like co-op) makes it unambitious.
You know perfectly well what I mean, though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Another excited employee at glassdoor:

The BEST Company I Have Ever worked

Current Employee, more than 3 years

Pros

Great projects, AMAZING people. Everyone there is a genuine friend. Anti-crunch, anti-micro management. Constant growth, learning, teaching. NO egos. Microsoft oversight is positive and guarantees longevity

Cons

Only con after 3.5 years is that sometimes high level execs might "hand of god" their way down into a particular topic and force some redos. But it's always better as a result. HIGHLY infrequent occurence, though.
"Microsoft... guarantees longevity" Careful about that wood-knocking, I imagine Blizzard thought the same thing.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It is amazing how microdick bought all those game studios and now they just sit on them lol. Did even one of those old losers produced a game?!

Sannom

Augur
Obsidian shipped Grounded (left Early Access in 2021) and Pentiment (released at the end of 2022) under Microsoft and they're supposed to release Avowed this year, with The Outer Worlds 2 in the works.

Double Fine finished and released Psychonauts 2 under Microsoft, no word on what's coming from them in the future though.

InXile revealed Clockwork Revolution in 2023 but we don't know when it's coming out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom