Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interesting post on ESF about Daggerfall.

Hazelnut

Erudite
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=449548

Role-playing is not about playing the perfect game, it is about building a character and creating a story.
Bethesda Softworks has worked very hard to make TES II:Daggerfall a game that does not require gamers to replay theyr mistakes. All the adversity can be overcome, except only the character's actual death.
In fact you will never see some of the most interesting aspects of the game unless you play through your
mistakes...............If your character is caught pickpocketing, if a quest goes wrong......... let it play out.
You may be surprised by what happens next.

Oh how times have changed over at BethSoft.

Twinfalls

Erudite
People who play RPGs need more than some pretty graphics and nonstop action to whet theyr claymores: they need depth and character and wit and drama.
They want the thickest, most involving novel that they've ever read translated into theyr 15" screen

That's Old Bethesda for you, getting their priorities wrong.

if a quest goes wrong......... let it play out.

Those bad old days when quests in TES could actually go wrong and there'd be a consequence.

Data4

Arcane
Yes... those were the days when Little Toddy Howard was coding in a dark, forgotten cubicle within the halls of Bethesda, getting owned time and time again by Daggerfall beta builds, and he swore an oath upon the blood of three goats and a ferret that he would one day rise up and make a game that he and other fellow retards could beat.

And so, we have come full circle.

-D4

Wysardry

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I particularly like this part:-
Honestly, have you ever seen an RPG with a built-in walkthrough? Have you? The idea is so absurd that if you suggested it to someone before OB came out it would have been laughed at. "Check out this RPG... it has a built-in walkthrough so you never get stuck and always know exactly what to do. Cool huh?" I don't think so.

ad hominem

Scholar
This is like a chronological timeline of "what happens when people get rich." They go from caring about the people to "these people are money bags, and whatever majority of those money bags are - we want to cater to that crowd."

Bethesda really dissappoints me now. They used to be like... my favorite developers ever, making some of the deepest, information and lore packed games out there...

Now their philosophy is "How do you land a job at an interview? You dress well, because a good presentation earns you the deal." Not "Follow through with a good attitude and work ethic."

They just wanted it to look AMAZING so everyone and their mom would run out and buy it. We all bought a book because it had a sweet cover, but only had 2 filled pages, and 300 blank ones.

My question is, why are people like this still over at those forums? My count was that over half of the posts on the first three pages agreed with this sentiment, with only a smattering of "Why is yoo hear losser" fanboi comments between. Do they truly have hope that Bethesda can be changed from the inside? They've gotta be laughing all the way to the bank at this point; I just don't see it changing. Maybe I'm just too pessimistic...

LlamaGod

Cipher
toddhowardcopy4vz.jpg

GreatGreen

Novice
that pic should be posted on the TES forums bi-daily. then again... the people who need to see that pic the most probably wouldn't understand the irony anyway.

Iasi, Romania?... Postcount: bigger then yours
Twinfalls said:
People who play RPGs need more than some pretty graphics and nonstop action to whet theyr claymores: they need depth and character and wit and drama.
They want the thickest, most involving novel that they've ever read translated into theyr 15" screen

That's Old Bethesda for you, getting their priorities wrong.

It's about more then just making money, behold:

when I first played it (ARENA) I was thinking -- sweet -- this is a really nice dungeon-hack game. The game starts you in a dungeon where you spend your first few levels. And then I got out into the wilderness and I was like, "You have to be kidding me. I can go anywhere? Do anything? This. Rules." My first instinct was to run around killing everyone... It was that single small experience that hooked me.

In Daggerfall, the one thing I remember was this cutscene for when you could have sex with people you met. It eventually got axed and I still have the original art for it in a cabinet here. It was tastefully done of course.

So you see he was just doing what he thought was "awesome" for the series.

team_toddh_center.jpg

DarkSign

Erudite
ad hominem said:
This is like a chronological timeline of "what happens when people get rich." They go from caring about the people to "these people are money bags, and whatever majority of those money bags are - we want to cater to that crowd."

Bethesda really dissappoints me now. They used to be like... my favorite developers ever, making some of the deepest, information and lore packed games out there...

Now their philosophy is "How do you land a job at an interview? You dress well, because a good presentation earns you the deal." Not "Follow through with a good attitude and work ethic."

They just wanted it to look AMAZING so everyone and their mom would run out and buy it. We all bought a book because it had a sweet cover, but only had 2 filled pages, and 300 blank ones.

My question is, why are people like this still over at those forums? My count was that over half of the posts on the first three pages agreed with this sentiment, with only a smattering of "Why is yoo hear losser" fanboi comments between. Do they truly have hope that Bethesda can be changed from the inside? They've gotta be laughing all the way to the bank at this point; I just don't see it changing. Maybe I'm just too pessimistic...

The sad thing is...when the next project is released all those complainers will go back to being idiotically optimisitic as if OB had never happened. Then wonder why they got duped again. :twisted:

if a [business/game design] goes wrong......... let it play out.

Sounds like BethSoft's mission statement.

Rivo

Novice
OMG! RING THE BELLS, CALL THE PRESIDENT. THEY'RE BACK.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
Hey, Kathode, wellcome back Very Happy

we mist you guys

Welcome back? If you're a poster on this site, shouldn't you be cursing his name?

But before we do that, I would have to ask Kathode, either:

1. Why are you posting here?

OR

2. Why are you still working at Bethesda.

Seems to me, that doing both is like spitting on each and everyone one of our faces and then asking us to show you respect. Although I am not taking account into what you actually do there, given the fact Bethesda is your employer I don't really care, since there are no games coming out of Bethesda worth buying.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Nah, with a head like that, judging from that pic, it's at least watermellon dimensions, he's got a brain. It's just only got 6% of it working.

denizsi

Arcane
Welcome back? If you're a poster on this site, shouldn't you be cursing his name?

Shhh! He (Pete) thinks he's playing Oblivion speechcraft mini-game!:

kathode said:
Real good burn there

So, here to hype up the next fucktacular Beth project that is F3 that just entered full development cycle and tell us how it will be just like the original games and even so that they will be aimed at old fans, as well as new ones, are we?

Did Tod know that you were here? I'll tell him!

I would have to ask Kathode, either:

Let me give the obvious answer to both questions before he attempts to mislead the questions and tell us how great their next game will be:

Remember when everyone would say that Beth never learns from mistakes and shit? Well that's why; he probably thinks he can start the new hype campaign for the next game without suffering any repercussions of the past. Oblivion, anyone?

No one thinks that he's here for absolution and purification, right?

Iasi, Romania?... Postcount: bigger then yours
vazquez595654 said:
Hey, Kathode, wellcome back Very Happy

we mist you guys

I would rather curse his badge or the company he works for, but I have no personal grudge for any of the Bethesda employees except Pete and Todd

EDIT: oh.. and that russian chick who's responsable for the UI

onerobot

Scholar
vazquez595654 said:
But before we do that, I would have to ask Kathode, either:

1. Why are you posting here?

OR

2. Why are you still working at Bethesda.

Fallout 3 Fallout 3 Fallout 3. With that said:

1) He's applying the lube before our forthcoming vigorous anal fisting. Just showing he cares.

2) Kinky tree fetishes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom