Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Indie Faggotry: Gone Home developers pull out of PAX

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
seriously, all these bastards spend all their freetime posting in forums and blogs instead of doing something productive. what's wrong with them???

as 5000th posts go, this one is p. good

Hah, didn't even notice! A worthy 5000th post I agree.

J1M

Arcane
From the gone home trailer i watched, the only gameplay that it seemed to have was the choice between turning on an off a desk lamp and turning on and off a floor lamp.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Gone Home is a going to be an interactive movie, not unlike The Walking Dead. The future of the medium.

MapMan

Arcane
I don't know what penny arcade is. Sometimes I feel like I'm in the wrong place. Seriously.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
Dumb decision on the developers' side. They lose out on a lot of exposure for their game, plus anyone praising them on their decision will have forgotten all about it in a week or so, so they don't even get any real respect or admiration out of this. Lose-lose situation they put themselves in.

And all because they let themselves get trolled by some guy posting a few dickish comments on the internet.

I disagree, this seems like a calculated marketing decision to me. Check some of the comments here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=599331 and here http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ue-to-organisers-stance-on-a-number-of-issues

Tom Selleck

Arcane
"You know, I don't really want this 3D walkthrough of a house to be represented at a convention with thousands of people that would buy our thing game, because one of the organizers thought women had vaginas."

That being said, more people are going to know about this than might have seen their crummy booth at PAX, and as such, all the people who are "Fucken rights, stand up for Liberty!" on GAF might buy the game.

So, hooray!

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Gone Home is a going to be an interactive movie, not unlike The Walking Dead. The future of the medium.
Holy shit, marriage and traditional family aren't enough for fags, now they want to destroy games...

MCA
involve any antagonist race aside from Anglo-Saxon and you’re called a racist.

This is so true. People ripped even Prometheus to pieces because (among other things) the master engineer race is (literally) WHITE oh noes THATS RACIST!, even though the design was clearly to make them look stand out in an alienating way despite the shared human anatomy and despite that they were genocidal psychopaths who were en route to earth to destroy it. These people are completely out of touch.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
What's that? Developers with a thin skin?

Nothing of value was lost.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane

The Walking Dead was good. Never heard of this game, though...

Good to know where they stand on this. I'll make sure not to but their game. :troll:

MCA

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
k-bigpic.jpg

"I am very disappointed in you, Penny Arcade! For shame!"

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I stopped taking Penny Arcade seriously after I saw how Tycho and Gabe looked like IRL. Jesus fucking christ.

Best post of the entire thread since it actually made me look them up. Holy fucking lol.

Fuck that whole Mccarthynistic attitude surrounding this btw. It's genuinly creepy to see how gleefully the pc brigade jumps on the bandwagon of holier-than-thou fingerpointing and crying for blood. A little sense of perspective wouldn't fucking hurt.

And what the fuck is it with RPS having turned from an amusing website about games with consistent shit reviews into self-appointed gender equality and political correctness fighters out to cleanse the net?

While Penny Arcade artist and founder Mike ‘Gabriel’ Krahulik is no stranger to controversy, his latest stream of Twitter ignorance towards trans folk, apparently provoked by death threats but coming off the back of his refusing to condemn a (later revised) PAX panel which appeared to shrug off bigotry in games as just a bit of fun, caused a chain of events which finally made Goliath flinch. There was a lot of powerful writing on the subject of PA’s long history of controversies and their responsibilities to their army of devotees, but most likely candidate for smoking pistol is The Fullbright Company’s decision to pull Gone Home from PAX. The notoriously unrepentant Krahulik finally offered an apology, a pledge to stop declaring that gender is defined only by genitalia and, later, a $20,000 donation to The Trevor Project. After years of escalating rather than placating when challenged, it’s a big step for Penny Arcade. They’ve done amazing things with PAX and especially Child’s Play, but their name was beginning to take on less positive associations. Hopefully he’s truly reassessing his attitudes rather than just detoxifying his brand, though given that he’s neglected to explain why he was wrong, I do wonder whether Krahulik’s amends will enlighten the fans who were convinced that his former aggression was fine, even heroic.

Dat attitude...

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Sometimes, a game is not about gameplay.

No, that's never the case.

Generally true, but not when it comes to storyfag games like PS:T or MotB ;)

Is always the case with indie games, though. Gameplay or bust!
I think there's a valid conceptual space for interactive experiences that are not "games" in the strict sense, whether they are story focused or not. It remains to be seen if this potential will be realized anytime soon, or just be a playground for hipsters doing random shit.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think there's a valid conceptual space for interactive experiences that are not "games" in the strict sense, whether they are story focused or not. It remains to be seen if this potential will be realized anytime soon, or just be a playground for hipsters doing random shit.
Sure, but they shouldn't be marketed as games, nor should they be lauded as the next step in gaming by the press. If you want to create some crazy conceptual interactive artwork uncovering the truth about human condition by repeatedly walking around empty rooms it belongs in a museum gallery not on Steam, with 11/10 reviews from mainstream gaming sites. The same thing goes for using the medium for a simple political message (unless you actually bother to package some gameplay with your propaganda piece).

Tehdagah

Arcane
And what the fuck is it with videogame media having turned from an amusing media about games with consistent shit reviews into self-appointed gender equality and political correctness fighters out to cleanse the net?
Fixed

Btw, I laughed:

RPS said:
(...)
Hopefully he’s truly reassessing his attitudes rather than just detoxifying his brand, though given that he’s neglected to explain why he was wrong, I do wonder whether Krahulik’s amends will enlighten the fans who were convinced that his former aggression was fine, even heroic.
:lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom