Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie CRPGs - post 'em if you find 'em

Fez

Erudite
There was a prohibition on Japanese/FF looking RPGs.

Ladonna

Arcane
There was a prohibition on Japanese/FF looking RPGs.

Even if its more of an RPG than most of the shite posted here? Its not an 'on the rails' game like FF games. It only has the same look. Not saying its the coming of the messiah but next to much of the trash in this thread its a gem. And its free.

That sounds an awful lot like the expansion for the first Kohan.

Ahh, but who named what first? :wink: Its more like 'The expansion for the first kohan sounds a lot like that RPG'.

Fez

Erudite
Ladonna said:
Even if its more of an RPG than most of the shite posted here? Its not an 'on the rails' game like FF games. It only has the same look. Not saying its the coming of the messiah but next to much of the trash in this thread its a gem. And its free.

Saint never liked a lot of the FF or jRPG influenced games, as far as I remember. Except Cute Knight, I suppose. They were a pest to sort through when looking for indie games. There's about a million FF "inspired" clones to every western style indie RPG. So they were avoided for the most part.

I played it a while back and it seemed not too bad. It got a bit boring after a while, but I'm not a huge fan of most of the console RPGs.

Ladonna

Arcane
Saint never liked a lot of the FF or jRPG influenced games, as far as I remember. Except Cute Knight, I suppose. They were a pest to sort through when looking for indie games. There's about a million FF "inspired" clones to every western style indie RPG. So they were avoided for the most part.

Oh, I agree with you there. Its a pain trawling through the insane amount of these games of which 80-90% are horrendous. This is one of those games that make up the ten percent. Its sequel for sale from the sale devs is even better, but its not free naturally :wink: Haven't tried the newest 'pet breeding' game though....

Be thankful someone is plodding through them. I certainly won't add something here unless I have tried it first and it doesn't suck. To me anyway.

rei1974

Scholar
Well you didn't try well my game Magic Stones then, since I think is very far from being a "shite" or "horrendous" game as you say :D

Ladonna

Arcane
Don't worry, theres plenty of good ones here, but also some garbage too. Yours naturally is not one of the latter :wink:

rei1974

Scholar
Yeah I know what you mean, but at least for indie game I don't think is fair to say they suck (even if they actually do!) because of the amount of time spent from small teams (or in many cases even just 1 single person).
Is much worse when you see TOP budget games made by a team of 30 person in 3 years that have really crap gameplay... ;)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
rei1974 said:
Yeah I know what you mean, but at least for indie game I don't think is fair to say they suck (even if they actually do!) because of the amount of time spent from small teams (or in many cases even just 1 single person).
Is much worse when you see TOP budget games made by a team of 30 person in 3 years that have really crap gameplay... ;)

Sadly some indie companies just use their games as money cows, just like the mainstream devs. It's not many, but there are some, trying to sell their games by hyping them up for the elite gamers.

Ladonna

Arcane
Is much worse when you see TOP budget games made by a team of 30 person in 3 years that have really crap gameplay..

I disagree.

The advantage an indie gamer has is their power to project what they feel to be something great into their game, usually something lacking in the mainstream market. Its a work of passion, and should not be released until its relatively polished and the maker can sit back, take a good look at it and say 'I am damn happy with what I have made here'.

No game should be free from (Fair) criticism. Indie or mainstream industry.

I certainly won't hold back on something that I believe to be flawed, especially if that something should have been spotted 100km away, at night, during fog, by the dev/s before it hit release.

If we start kowtowing to a game just because it was made independantly, we are as bad as all the other blind fanboys/girls out there.

I am talking about gameplay here by the way. Graphics I couldn't care less about (As long as its workable. ASCII can be fine, 2D can be fine, 3D can be fine. Blurry disgusting, lazy 3D is not for example).

rei1974

Scholar
Well yes, I'm up for fair criticism too. I surely know that my games aren't the top, and I'm glad you weren't referring to mine. What I really meant was about the terms, saying "that game has bad controls etc" is ok, but simply saying "shite" etc is a bit too much "direct" I think :D

Ladonna

Arcane
Oh that was just one of my generalisations. Fez is an Uber RPG Pope, he knows what I am talking about.

Mind you, I am not going to go through the entire list here and spell out what I think are the lemons. If something shows up in another thread and I think it sucks I will outline it there.

Best if we get out of here before a mod starts making up a new name for thread hijacking of a sticky topic :wink:

Ladonna

Arcane
http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=4783

Dark Disciples
The gameplay is typical top-down RPG that you have seen many times since the days of Ultima 1. Talk to people, kill monsters, and get better loot and stats as you progress. The game starts somewhat slowly: it gets interesting only after you enter Lord Saradin's service, which is when you reach about ninth or tenth experience level. Once you are in his army, you will be able to complete three lengthy campaigns, each of which features a unique set of monsters, terrain, characters, and weapons. One campaign is set in the cold mountains, one in the plague-ridden swamps, and the last in the burning desert. These campaigns are reasonably long, and are packed with enough neat weapons to keep you playing to the end.

Might be worth a whirl.

Fez

Erudite
That one has already been mentioned. I've played through it and it was not too bad at all.

Fez

Erudite
Of course I knew that, hasn't it been said that I am a super nerd?

His games do have that touch of humor too. Worth wasting some time on, even if they are second-rate.

Karl

Novice
Aliens Roguelike
http://alien.chaosforge.org/

arls1mb1.jpg

Achtung! Seven day roguelike.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I have recently tried Aveyond:
http://www.amaranthia.com/modules/tinyc ... x.php?id=2

.. and it is surprisingly good! It has the horrible JRPG look, but it is one of the most high-quality indy RPGs out there IMO. I give the game bonus points just because the first quest is not "kill some rats", though. The quest is ... pick some flowers. Yes, not that exciting, but at least unusual. I have only played through the beginning, but it was amazingly well done. The story/characters I mean. The combat is pretty standard JRPG-stuff. I did not notice much choice, so this is certainly not the next Fallout, but it's a nice story-telling/fairy tale RPG really. The reason why I stopped playing it was .. I could not take the girlyness of it anymore. It is one of the few RPGs designed by a woman .. and it shows if you ask me. I do not mean that in a negative kind of way. It is just not my kind of game, but it is good.

Try it!

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
k_bits said:
Kinda why I posted it :)

Warp Rogue is not a RPG, though ("RPG-like game mechanics" only refers to the character development and combat system). In my book a real RPG needs at least:

1.) multiple quests
2.) some form of meaningful NPC interaction
3.) some choice (and consequence) outside of "which goblin will I kill first?"

Warp Rogue features nothing of the above. Most of the work done so far has been focused on the engine, character development, and combat mechanics. I am working on 1.) right now, and I hope that I will manage add 2.) and 3.) someday too, but it is kind of hard because the game is only a hobby, and I do not have enough time to spare.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom