Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie CRPGs - post 'em if you find 'em

Jason

chasing a bee
All the roguelikes are (try Gearhead). The Spiderweb Software games (Geneforge, Avernum, etc) are all around 15 mb so they shouldn't take too long either.

chaedwards

Liturgist
A sport rpg:

New Star Soccer 3
You start as a 16 year-old trainee, and aim to become World Footballer of the year. You play the matches yourself, and can improve skills through training, which improves your stats. You also have to juggle your family, friends and girlfriend, as well as avoiding alcoholism, gambling and the temptations of illegal drugs.

Plays a lot like Sensible Soccer but with additional depth - good fun.

Edit: Link should work now.

Jason

chasing a bee
Sports make me angry, but that sounds awesome. If you have to avoid the temptations of alcohol and drugs, are there in-game reasons why they would be tempting? Or is it just that players who lose more games tend to get addictions?

edit: I keep getting Server Not Found for the link.

chaedwards

Liturgist
Alcohol increases your confidence, and you'll only be selected if you are confident to a certain degree. Playing well and getting high match ratings gives you confidence, but if you play badly, it's time to hit the bottle...

Drugs increase your stats without having to train, but are expensive, and there are random drug tests.

Section8

Cipher
Mad. I've always wanted a Sports RPG, where there's more to character development than how you play on the field. I'll give NSS3 a whirl.

chaedwards

Liturgist
You can avoid the painful loading times by switching autosave off on the options menu. I agree the controls are a little bid odd, but that's partially because of the stats of a beginning player - the game becomes easier as your player improves.

Crnobog

Liturgist
The Cleaner
Not really an rpg, more like a platformer with stats, but it's a fun game with some nice physics

Some guy said:
This was all made by one lone person, I recall. In The Cleaner, you play a lone mage who's job is to scour dimensional pathways for anything that threatens your country. Your only means of attack are the variety of spells at your disposal, each of which can become devastating in their own right when enough points are put into them. You can really trick out your mage, making him focus on rapid fire spells with a mana pool that recharges quickly, use slower, more ponderous spells that cost more magic but are devastating, etc. If spells fail, then you can always use your mind to brutalize enemies with whatever objects are handy, including their fallen comrades. The graphics are pretty, especially the spells, and your character looks cool flying around raining hellfire on enemies. Exploration and puzzles flesh out the gameplay so you aren't always blasting things.

whatusername

Scholar
Can't believe you guys missed Mount & Blade.

http://taleworlds.net

War has come down on Calradia and war attracts its own bunch of misfits. Mercenaries, cutthroats, knights and adventurers flood into the land looking for employment, fortune and glory. But war is a harsh master. It gives away death and grief to the lot, fortune to a chosen few, and glory, wise men say, to none. Still, men ride to war, for one or other reason. Some because they are looking for thrill and excitement, some because they are desperate and know no other way. Some because they are so bitter and hateful that they are willing to unleash doom on earth... And yet some, because they are the very heroes who will step forward to stop that...

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
home_pic1.jpg

I'm there.

mytgroo

Scholar
A few from Rake In Grass

There are a few from a company called http://www.rakeingrass.com . I really do like Styrateg which is an interesting combination of strategy and fantasy with modifyable characters. It is well worth playing so far. The other one from Rake In Grass is Undercroft -- not so much to my liking but you do get an initial quest to find the chickens and the introductory story is appropriately ridiculous. They also have an arcade style game called Troll where you have to save the kingdom of King Uterus.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom