Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Yosharian

Arcane
Decided to play through Skyrim for the first time since it was released. I thought it was shit back then, but after about a decade of being possibly the most modded game in existence, I hope I'll manage to squeeze some fun outta it. Since I don't want to spend two weeks assembling 1000+ mods for a shit game, I decided to let others do that shit for me, and use modlists.

First one I tried was Wildlander since I saw Crispo recommending it. What an autistic mod. 500+ crafting recipes for gear that becomes obsolete after the first two hours of play (hell, some of it is obsolete on game start, being straight up worse than your starting gear). Otherwise pretty tidy though, I appreciated thought being put into making the various menus and other shit easily accessible. Balancing seemed to be all over the place. You enter a tomb, meet level 1 draugrs and wipe your ass with them. Proceed to the final room, where a fucking level 44 draugr murderboss jumps you. Felt like being trolled, though I did cheese him to death in the end. Anyway, while the mechanics were better from the vanilla, the content seemed to be more or less the same (so shit), so I got bored of it and uninstalled.

Currently, I am trying Librum, which I'm having a lot more fun with. It overhauls everything, adds in copious amounts of content (hopefully not shit, didn't get too far in yet), is more difficult than Wildlander, and, interestingly, isn't based on Requiem (though it does similar things to Requiem with other mods, like Morrowloot). The game is purposefully unfair towards the player when it comes to money (in an effort to make cash not become worthless after raiding the first two dungeons) so for a sword worth 200 medes (multiple currencies instead of septims. Actually pretty neat touch), you'll get about 10, at least until your speech skill gets higher etc. It's actually not as bad as it sounds, and you can establish a solid money flow from dungeon delving. It mostly prevents you from becoming too rich too fast, and makes you stop picking up every piece of garbage you find – if it's not enchanted or gems or jewels or other kinds of treasure, it's not worth taking. It also redoes your advancement and makes changes to combat (it's fairly deadly). Has some nice touches, such as draugr and other undead not staying dead and coming back to life after about 30 seconds, unless you cremate them or do other shit to prevent that from happening.
Librum does seem really interesting. Apparently they are in the process of making a big new update for it? I'll probably wait til that's done and then check it out. I always thought MorrowLoot was a very interesting concept.

Wildlander just seems to be going nowhere fast, I'm kind of disappointed with the speed of development. He hasn't even put Inigo in it yet.

thesecret1

Arcane
Librum does seem really interesting. Apparently they are in the process of making a big new update for it? I'll probably wait til that's done and then check it out. I always thought MorrowLoot was a very interesting concept.
My impression is the update isn't coming any time soon, so I didn't wait, and just delved into it. So far the only disappointment has been the HUD and the ENB, both of which are absolute cancer. The HUD is converted into this massive fucking thing that blocks 10% of your screen at all times, and the ENB makes literally everything look blurred to the point it's like you have your screen covered by grease. Luckily, both can be fixed with a bit of tweaking (just DL'd iHUD to hide the HUD entirely, and used the "performance" preset on the ENB, which removed the blur).

mastroego

Arcane
I hate to spoil it for you but the entire island is actually rather enjoyable, but for me, once I started it, I sort of felt like I had to conclude things. It's bad at the end. Real bad.
Well I'll interrupt it anyway and finish the rest first. There's no way of ordering the quests in urgency hierarchy anyway, I gave up trying that long ago....
I'm certainly not going to hit level 100 anyway. Not sure it's even possible with "vanilla" Requiem, skills are capped at 100.
I'm 53 now, I might gain a few levels more but not many... I have to finish Dawnguard and the Main Quest basically.
Are you guys taking it slow or has Requiem been made harder? I remember finishing most of the main quest chains before hitting lvl 50, with only Alduin left by then.

Can't say really.
I did try to level up a bit before doing Labyrinthian and such (which proved wise).

Anyway I decided to backtrack entirely from Dragonborn.
Seems like the final battle with Fozar's Requiem patch is indeed something beyond insanity. Not sure I want to deal with that.
I'm going to finish the regular game first, than I'll see.
After all I've never finished that either, due to restartitis.

And I've just given Serana Dawnguard armor lol.
Tempered and enchanted.
Might switch to something better later but it's already very good.

Zariusz

Arbiter

I guess this project still has a long way to go but it looks interesting, i wonder if something like this could be used for theoretical next gen Daggerfall like rpg. And of course the first thing ai does is talks about Khajiit stealing shit. :lol:

Luzur

Good Sir

I guess this project still has a long way to go but it looks interesting, i wonder if something like this could be used for theoretical next gen Daggerfall like rpg. And of course the first thing ai does is talks about Khajiit stealing shit. :lol:

i wonder if it will turn racist while you game

Spike

Educated
Question about Enderal. I did not know this until now, but there is an updated version of Enderal for Skyrim SE. My original file, only 17 hours in, is on the original Skyrim/vanilla version of Enderal. However, apparently the SE version of Enderal (using Skyrim SE as a base) is superior to the original Enderal performance-wise. Can anyone attest to this? I am thinking of starting a new file because my original save is 3 years old and it would be a good excuse any way since I kind of forgot everything.

Yosharian

Arcane
Question about Enderal. I did not know this until now, but there is an updated version of Enderal for Skyrim SE. My original file, only 17 hours in, is on the original Skyrim/vanilla version of Enderal. However, apparently the SE version of Enderal (using Skyrim SE as a base) is superior to the original Enderal performance-wise. Can anyone attest to this? I am thinking of starting a new file because my original save is 3 years old and it would be a good excuse any way since I kind of forgot everything.
I think it's worth starting again.

There are some Wabbajack lists:

https://www.wabbajack.org/gallery?selectedGame=Enderal Special Edition

Spike

Educated
I think it's worth starting again.

There are some Wabbajack lists:

https://www.wabbajack.org/gallery?selectedGame=Enderal Special Edition
Very nice, thank you! Will probably go about it mod-less for the pure developer-intended experience because my autism irks when people mention mods for your first playthrough, but I appreciate it and will have a look around.

Yosharian

Arcane
Well I think a lot of these lists are less about modifying the Enderal experience and more about fixing the flaws of Skyrim, but sure I get you

ClaviculaZ

Novice
I've never played Skyrim before, but might give the Anniversary Edition a go now. I don't want to read through all the 257 pages, so, in brief, what mods are recommendable? I run a GTX 980 with a 1920x1080 screen, so some graphic mods which aren't too demanding might be interesting.

soulburner

Cipher
I've never played Skyrim before, but might give the Anniversary Edition a go now. I don't want to read through all the 257 pages, so, in brief, what mods are recommendable? I run a GTX 980 with a 1920x1080 screen, so some graphic mods which aren't too demanding might be interesting.
Get skse, SkyUI, the unofficial patches for the base game and DLC, QuickLoot RE, Consistent Sensitivity, SSE Display Tweaks (for high refresh rates without breaking the physics), Skyrim Upscaler (DLAA for superior antialiasing or DLSS/FSR/XeSS for lower energy consumption or something). I missed the part about GTX 980, however FSR2 could still be viable if performance issues occur, though you should be fine with 1080@60.

Try to avoid graphical upgrades, like texture packs and shit - they're usually quite hardware demanding and most often suck.

ClaviculaZ

Novice
I don't want to read through all the 257 pages
You kids are soft. You lack discipline.
Not so much a kid as a middle-aged man with far too many obligations. On the flipside, there are a lot of unplayed games for me.
Get skse, SkyUI, the unofficial patches for the base game and DLC, QuickLoot RE, Consistent Sensitivity, SSE Display Tweaks (for high refresh rates without breaking the physics), Skyrim Upscaler (DLAA for superior antialiasing or DLSS/FSR/XeSS for lower energy consumption or something). I missed the part about GTX 980, however FSR2 could still be viable if performance issues occur, though you should be fine with 1080@60.

Try to avoid graphical upgrades, like texture packs and shit - they're usually quite hardware demanding and most often suck.
Thanks.

Joyvankek

Learned
I don't want to read through all the 257 pages
You kids are soft. You lack discipline.
Not so much a kid as a middle-aged man with far too many obligations. On the flipside, there are a lot of unplayed games for me.

Thanks.
Also get yourself Requiem.
That overhaul mod makes Skyrim into an actual game.

Spike

Educated
Question about Enderal: can I max out the 2H skill tree as well as the sword+board tree? These are my favorite weapons to use and I hate choosing between the two. Please don't make me choose, fellow adventurers.

Zariusz

Arbiter
I have forgotten how hard is to find new decent armor mod that is not cheaply stitched from existing meshes, imported model from other games or belonging to mods that you define as slut accessories for this game. I recommend this guy, Pulcharmsolis
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/users/122433248?tab=user+files
He makes great armor models in the style of pre Oblivion lore, apparently also has some connection to general Tamriel rebuilt community.

Maormer Scale set
91506-1684265935-1664244639.jpeg

I think some warrior from Niben or Colovian highlands, maybe Sancre Tor
84971-1682194766-569904470.jpeg

Nibenese Battlemage
84971-1682194774-1117132990.jpeg

I think maybe someone from Ancestor Moth Order
84971-1682194766-1412620218.jpeg

Nobleman from Colovian highlands
79894-1675474858-145845374.jpeg

Some mercanary from Kvatch
79226-1669407258-1908858214.png

And famous armor of Titus Mede I
63376-1644857563-1232349883.png

Also he has made some Dunmer armor but i never checked any of it.

Last edited:
Tired of unimpressive Skyrim dialogues, quests and characters? Want to see a version of Skyrim that plays to its strengths, dungeon delving and looting? Solo Hack&slash experience? There's mod just for you.
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/85133?tab=descriptio

Alternate Skyrim - World Eater SE AE​

Alternate Skyrim removes the game intro, all signs of ongoing civilization, removes almost every non-animal, creature or undead, destroys almost all villages, destroys all cities, moves cities into the Tamriel Worldspace removing load doors and Navmeshes those changes so NPCs can use them seamlessly.

World Eater is a Draugr Apocalypse addon with Dragons and a mini Main Quest.

Alternate Skyrim and World Eater are likely incompatible with mods that make changes to existing Bethesda locations.
Mod added NPCs that never leave interior cells or instanced cities will also never appear without console commands.

Mods that will likely work without issue are gameplay, texture, mesh and sound mods.
Mods that add new locations away from existing Bethesda locations should also be fine.

85133-1676594953-786859698.jpeg

85133-1676594959-1639764213.jpeg

85133-1676594938-1442832855.jpeg

On one hand, it looks kinda dumb. On the other though...I unironically feel an urge to give it a try. Reminds of that one mod that changed Oblvion's prologue sewer exit into a series of 40 back-to-back dungeons.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: The enemy spawning is exhausting, I fought and killed a Dragon and Dragon Priest at level 2 but it was tiresome because draugrs enemies keep spawning around. Later on the problem only increase. I don't think I can recommend it at the moment.

Alternate Skyrim is nothing if not proactive about fixing many of the game's problems. Crap towns, crap NPCs and crap quests? All sorted!

Possible potential there via sustained application of some concentrated combat modlist autisim.

Currently, I am trying Librum, which I'm having a lot more fun with. It overhauls everything, adds in copious amounts of content (hopefully not shit, didn't get too far in yet), is more difficult than Wildlander, and, interestingly, isn't based on Requiem (though it does similar things to Requiem with other mods, like Morrowloot). The game is purposefully unfair towards the player when it comes to money (in an effort to make cash not become worthless after raiding the first two dungeons) so for a sword worth 200 medes (multiple currencies instead of septims. Actually pretty neat touch), you'll get about 10, at least until your speech skill gets higher etc. It's actually not as bad as it sounds, and you can establish a solid money flow from dungeon delving. It mostly prevents you from becoming too rich too fast, and makes you stop picking up every piece of garbage you find – if it's not enchanted or gems or jewels or other kinds of treasure, it's not worth taking. It also redoes your advancement and makes changes to combat (it's fairly deadly). Has some nice touches, such as draugr and other undead not staying dead and coming back to life after about 30 seconds, unless you cremate them or do other shit to prevent that from happening.
https://librum-for-skyrim-vr.readthedocs.io/en/latest/2_FAQ.html#gameplay
What are the weird enemies below [insert city name]?
  • You’ve encountered Skyrim Underground. I’ve patched away the worst offenders, but I recognize that I’ve got some more work to do in this department.
Invisible Entities from Requiem?

dog-remember.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom