Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Don Peste

Arcane
I've been advocating a lightweight Requiem build for quite some time.
We probably share some choices there, I bet, too. Not like I'm going to check every item...

https://loadorderlibrary.com/lists/moonshadow-wip

list isnt too long and tis separated by categories

It seems very tasteful and well thought out. Actually when my new PC arrives I'll install this I'm pretty sure.
A modlist of 429 items isn't too long?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
We probably share some choices there, I bet, too. Not like I'm going to check every item...

It seems very tasteful and well thought out. Actually when my new PC arrives I'll install this I'm pretty sure.

Oh my sweet, summer child :)

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!

200 of them are the generic bethesda mods, fixes and UI shit noone cares about. In the context of who I was replying to, it's not too long to go to the gameplay related sections and see what was used.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive

I’ve seen people on Reddit talking about mod load orders ~1000 long. Personally my load order is like 50 mods and I find that’s enough. Maybe I’ll add more quest mods but eh.

DeepOcean

Arcane
This mod list Constellations - A true RPG, anyone played this thing? Author claims he implemented True Directional movement, Ultimate combat and Requiem together, seems the guy did a custom implementation of Requiem. Is it any good? By the description, seems like a potential broken mess, that is why Im asking.

Spike

Educated
Anyone want to talk about Enderal? Loving it so far. Running 2H Sword Heavy Armor Vandal/Keeper. The exploration, dungeons, and encounters are fun.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Lets beat a dead horse from many pages ago

pnE3ZMJBj

6GJKai.jpg

The top one is a 4k texture from the popular Skyland texture pack. The bottom is plain old vanilla textures at something like 1k. :lol:

Time and time again, in 1:1 comparisons modded textures lose out to vanilla textures despite often being as much as 4x larger in resolution.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
This mod list Constellations - A true RPG, anyone played this thing? Author claims he implemented True Directional movement, Ultimate combat and Requiem together, seems the guy did a custom implementation of Requiem. Is it any good? By the description, seems like a potential broken mess, that is why Im asking.

Theres gameplay on youtube and nothing of what I saw stood out to me, and at 70+gb its too large for me to try on a whim. I'm now really wary of combat mods in general because they usually make the player even more overpowered and do nothing to help the AI.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

pnE3ZMJBj

6GJKai.jpg

The top one is a 4k texture from the popular Skyland texture pack. The bottom is plain old vanilla textures at something like 1k. :lol:

Time and time again, in 1:1 comparisons modded textures lose out to vanilla textures despite often being as much as 4x larger in resolution.

You can definitely find texture packs for specific things that are "better" in the sense of more detailed, but unfortunately they often deviate too far from the original art style for Skyrim, which is actually really good, and all of a piece aesthetically. There are a few that simply improve on the vanilla (often things like specific ground textures, tree textures and things like that), but a lot of the more well-known packs represent idiosyncratic design choices.

In fact I'm of the opinion these days that AI upscaling actually works pretty well for most mid-old games now, where you're dealing with textures that are originally 1k or 2k, and you're upscaling to 2k, or 4k, there's enough detail in them to upscale them pretty well, and the algorithms or whatever you call them seem to get better and better. I've recently been using the Omega 5.0 texture revamp for DOS2, and it's actually quite amazing - it's exactly DOS2 graphics, no funny business, but just everything everything AI upscaled and more detailed, with a few manual tweaks here and there. Totally unlike the earlier standard HD World and Icons, which has a ton of idiosyncratic aesthetic changes in it that actually diminish the coherence of the visuals a bit, like many of the Skyrim visual packs.

Ancient76

Literate

pnE3ZMJBj

6GJKai.jpg

This is the best Skyrim texture mod, and does not deviate from original art: https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-realistic-overhaul
The road textures are way better, although this is mixed with some mod which improves road geometry. I don't remember the name of that road mod.

KFRBhsh.jpg

Spike

Educated
About Enderal: did anyone read every entry for The Butcher of Ark? It is a slog to read these. It plays into another quest that I am really digging and I want to know if I can just skim the stupid journals and still get the same effect.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In

I think most mod textures are just upscaled in-game textures anyway.

That said, the stones look sharper in the mod version, and this sort of screenshot doesn't actually give you the experience of seeing a texture from multiple angles in-game.

The best way to show the difference is to get close and look directly at them, or to use hires video.
This is the best Skyrim texture mod, and does not deviate from original art: https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-realistic-overhaul
The road textures are way better, although this is mixed with some mod which improves road geometry. I don't remember the name of that road mod.
Those roads look like clumps of dirt. No thanks.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Most of the hardcore requiem community are playing Lalaland these days. Beautiful yet brutal. The most fun I've had in Skyrim in years.
If you play, make sure you go into your abilities as soon as you start a game and select your birthsign and blessing. You can only level up using 'Increase Skills' ability, which requires 'insight potions' which are dropped from enemies, found in chests, and quest rewards. It changes Skyrim from a 'you get good at what you do' system to a point earning and spending system, so I can level up Destruction without using it. To install you gotta join the discord and look for the pinned message in the Lalaland channel.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Most of the hardcore requiem community are playing Lalaland these days. Beautiful yet brutal. The most fun I've had in Skyrim in years.
If you play, make sure you go into your abilities as soon as you start a game and select your birthsign and blessing. To join you gotta join the discord and look for the pinned message in the Lalaland channel.
Interesting, why that mod specifically?

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
If you play, make sure you go into your abilities as soon as you start a game and select your birthsign and blessing. You can only level up using 'Increase Skills' ability, which requires 'insight potions' which are dropped from enemies, found in chests, and quest rewards. It changes Skyrim from a 'you get good at what you do' system to a point earning and spending system, so I can level up Destruction without using it. To install you gotta join the discord and look for the pinned message in the Lalaland channel.

Nothing blends together. There's bright, green plants next to dry grass. The on the mountain trail looks like wet sand. The NPCs are now all models with makeup - an improvement, but not a very believable one.

Also, what is up with that 20 second load time to Windhelm?

I think I'd rather play vanilla than this.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013

Looks interesting. For once a list that doesn't have garbage like floating healthbars or tries to turn the game into a shitty Dark Souls clone.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Dunno if made my tranoor or strong horny girl but it's a romance mod, the writer seems to want to get it on with racist Ulfric

Cringe but interesting insight into modder mind.

Joyvankek

Learned

Why is discord membership mandatory, and what genius came up with this retarded name... Lalaland? Seriously?
Also what makes this mod worth attention?
How it's stand out compare to Wildlander or just straight out custom Requiem?

deama

Prophet
Has anyone tried that skyrim ultima modlist thing? Any good?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom