Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Perkus Maximus is the cool new thing to play (alongside the appropriate SkyRe modules). Requiem is for spergs.
I've been eyeing PerMa a couple of times, but holy shit batman installation looks like a clusterfuck of patches for patches and faffing about with TES5Edit and whatever else. I ain't got time for that shit. Otherwise, I'd switch, cause its gameplay sounds interesting.
OTOH, Requiem is a one-package deal that annoys, but just twerks.

DraQ

Arcane
You have to run a reproccer for requiem too. Install java, disable a ton of mods that the reproccer doesn't like, disable more mods, run LOOT, repeat until skyrim stops crashing at the menu.
clippy.png

It looks like you cannot really into modding.
Would you like me to help you GTFO?

For something as big as Requiem I install it first, then slowly add desired mods seeing which ones don't cause the game to vomit itself to death. To do otherwise...eesh. It changes so much shit they have to work around it, not vice versa.

You have to run a reproccer for requiem too. Install java, disable a ton of mods that the reproccer doesn't like, disable more mods, run LOOT, repeat until skyrim stops crashing at the menu.
But he's right, I had to do EXACTLY THAT a couple of times until I could start the damn game when I installed requiem.
1) Run Reqtificator.
2) Play.

That's my experience with Requiem. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, why the hell would you purposefully fuck up your load order with LOOT? That thing is like a "randomize" button for Oblivion's character creator. No wonder even Requiem gave you grief.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
They're not wrong. Requiem is a bitch to install. I've had to restart several times, message the Nexus page, and uninstall really cool mods that just weren't running well with it. Sorry, but I'm not one of those guys that prefers to dick around with load orders and mods all day. I'd rather play the fucking game; although, I'm getting rather bored of it.

Anyone know if the main quest or the DLC's are any good? Damn, nothing can seem to fix Skyrim's boring quests, story, and dialogue. I met that cannibal lady, and she was interesting for 5 minutes up until she became zero-personality NPC #600. Shame because she actually had a small bit of personality, which is a rarity in this game.

Fuck, the Markarth storyline about the Foresworn was absolute shit. I mean literal shit. I couldn't run out of that situation fast enough... or that city. Just a confusing, boring cluster-fuck of mediocrity. Looking back, I felt like I was drunk.

The cannibal lady was the only highlight of Markarth; although, I guess doing my run-through of that Dwemer ruin under the city was extremely challenging and somewhat fun. Still, no way I could get this far in the game without Requiem.

Anyone know if the main quest or the DLC's are any good? Damn, nothing can seem to fix Skyrim's boring quests, story, and dialogue. I met that cannibal lady, and she was interesting for 5 minutes up until she became zero-personality NPC #600. Shame because she actually had a small bit of personality, which is a rarity in this game.

Fuck, the Markarth storyline about the Foresworn was absolute shit. I mean literal shit. I couldn't run out of that situation fast enough... or that city. Just a confusing, boring cluster-fuck of mediocrity. Looking back, I felt like I was drunk.

The cannibal lady was the only highlight of Markarth; although, I guess doing my run-through of that Dwemer ruin under the city was extremely challenging and somewhat fun. Still, no way I could get this far in the game without Requiem.
So far, I've found side quests out in the world far less inane than anything in the cities - though I wouldn't set the bar too high for those either, if I were you.
I think the most interesting to me was the quest you get from reading the book "Aetherium Wars" (sp?) - it's the same "go there, kill shit" as everything else, but the character wasn't as bad as most and the ending was kinda touching.

On the whole, though, this isn't really a game to seek well-written quests with good exposition. I mostly play it to crawl dungeons and zap/poke things with a stick, so never expect much.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
For something as big as Requiem I install it first, then slowly add desired mods seeing which ones don't cause the game to vomit itself to death. To do otherwise...eesh. It changes so much shit they have to work around it, not vice versa.

This is the opposite of what id do. You want requiem last in your load order so it can override most things. Alternate Start is like the only exception - even then skyproc generated ENB's go last.

For example, I recently was having this CTD crash I couldn't figure out, I enabled Papyrus logging and saw that Crafting Overhaul was actually shitting on a script call from Requiem. I thought the Requiem patch I had would fix it.. and it did but Requiem had to be after overhaul in the load order (LOOT completely fucked this up btw)

No I'm saying that if a mod doesn't work right with Requiem, to the point where it crashes the game or interferes and I can't resolve it...it gets the boot. The first time I used Requiem I added it to a list that was already full of other intensive mods. The resulting nightmare ensured that from then one Requiem is the first mod installed, and all others are tested against it for game health. If there isn't a dependable fix known *punt*.

I'm not talking solely about load order conflicts, but mod conflicts in general. If you use something as invasive as Requiem you really can't treat it like the 'drop in and play' types.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
No I'm saying that if a mod doesn't work right with Requiem, to the point where it crashes the game or interferes and I can't resolve it...it gets the boot. The first time I used Requiem I added it to a list that was already full of other intensive mods. The resulting nightmare ensured that from then one Requiem is the first mod installed, and all others are tested against it for game health. If there isn't a dependable fix known *punt*.

I'm not talking solely about load order conflicts, but mod conflicts in general. If you use something as invasive as Requiem you really can't treat it like the 'drop in and play' types.

90% of mods are not drop and play.. its a waiting game of when its gonna wreck your day.
Really you should never load or drop mods in an existing save.. (some exceptions can be made for texture packs.. but even then...)

90% of mods are not drop and play.. its a waiting game of when its gonna wreck your day.
Really you should never load or drop mods in an existing save.. (some exceptions can be made for texture packs.. but even then...)

Same mods from beginning of playthrough to the end, I don't start until I've made sure everything works right. Usually with a dummy save left in the field outside Whiterun and a generic Helgen run. Try everything, tweak when needed and then start one of my new characters.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
Generally, what you do want to do with Requiem is let it handle overhauling your gameplay.
Yeah, it's not very modular and I too would prefer it being modular, but it's good at what it does, so let it.
If you want to use something else for this purpose, either ensure it has a compatibility patch or make sure you know exactly what the fuck you are doing (also meaning, no, don't trust any tool to automagically organize your load order, if you need a tool for that, then no, you no longer have any clue nor control, if you did, you wouldn't need the tool).

For the record I do modify my load order during play sometimes, in particular I often update mods, and I sometimes use technically conflicting mods without patching. The thing is I try to not use scripting-intensive mods if I can help it, I try to not use more mods than I actually need and if two of my mods touch the same thing I generally do my best to understand what are the exact implications.

And this allows me to minimize the time I spend fiddling with mods and load orders for I too prefer to actually do the thing(TM) - in this case play the game - instead of fucking around endlessly with all sort of auxiliary activities.

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I think the best investment of time you can make vs the headaches you get of "WTF IS WRONG" is to learn your way around TES5Edit and enable Papyrus Logging. I literally solve 99% of my CTD's with those two things.
The other issue might be VRam - Read on SkSE configurations for that. (Potato Computers)

This stuff is all kinda modding 101 though.

Run LOOT then manually move whatever is in the wrong place. Shouldn't be a problem unless you're running 200 mods, and if you are then you shouldn't be relying on automatic tools made for casuals.

I also suggest playing more than one character instead of trying to make twelve big overhauls work together. You'll probably want to do it anyway to avoid the Supreme Guildmaster of Everything Syndrome.

Mods won't make you like a game if you don't already like the base game at least a little bit, it's more of a "why the hell not?" situation. The Nexus has more than a thousand pages of mods and it takes one click to install them so people sometimes go nuts and install five types of high-res textures for assorted clutter items if they think their computer can handle it.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
How bad can a game be where you run over TWO HUNDRED mods for it? :M

Not all mods are made equal, Requiem counts as one just the same as some crappy mod that adds a kewl 999 damage katana to starting inventory. The number itself tells you nothing, really.

Requiem is better off played with a smaller load order, anyway - better to make a separate mod profile altogether if you just have to have the entire top 100 from each sub-section of the nexus.

At Smithing 100, I can improve an Orcish cuirass to 266 and an Ebony one to a pitiful 286. Is Ebony supposed to be this shitty in Requiem or do I need to look for something I messed up?
I've been fapping over my Ebony gear for a long time (very rare, thanks to Morrowloot), thinking I'll finally be able to melee dragons once I get my hands on that crafting manual... So this is mighty disappointing, to say the least. Especially, when I can already improve a Dwemer cuirass to 306, thanks to the Ancient Knowledge perk. :M

Grathanich

Novice
At Smithing 100, I can improve an Orcish cuirass to 266 and an Ebony one to a pitiful 286. Is Ebony supposed to be this shitty in Requiem or do I need to look for something I messed up?
I've been fapping over my Ebony gear for a long time (very rare, thanks to Morrowloot), thinking I'll finally be able to melee dragons once I get my hands on that crafting manual... So this is mighty disappointing, to say the least. Especially, when I can already improve a Dwemer cuirass to 306, thanks to the Ancient Knowledge perk. :M
Why don't you use the Elys' Skill Uncapper? That way you can really grind your smithing and take it to 130-140 and then you will finally obtain the protection you deserve. At 150 skill level I refine armor up to 800 points, maybe there is something wrong with your setup?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom