Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

You'll obviously be a better sneak when investing in sneak and illusion than when investing in sneak and something else.
What does Sneak add to Muffle + Invisibility?

No visual assets nor perks for that.
Neither do animations change with increase in skill level. It's all make-believe. Camouflage could easily have been a simple perk that boosts your ability to avoid visual detection.

I'm not against JoAT on principle, it just diminishes replay value.

backstab damage?
Not worth the time/money/perk investment, considering that most actually dangerous enemies are immune to sneak attacks. Those that aren't can be poisoned, and you'd need to take at least Enchantment for a thief character to be viable anyway: won't get far plinking mundane ammo at undead.

whatevername

Arcane
Not worth the time/money/perk investment, considering that most actually dangerous enemies are immune to sneak attacks. Those that aren't can be poisoned, and you'd need to take at least Enchantment for a thief character to be viable anyway: won't get far plinking mundane ammo at undead.
How do you fire ammo from a dagger?

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I updated to 1.9.2, but I think I fucked up something because my stats are messed up. Regardless, I wasn't so far that I was worried about restarting.

I restarted and decided not to have a companion. Game is a lot better, and I'm trying not to use a backpack either for all my spar loot. I really like the blurry death added by 1.9.2 you can see the kill moves put on you and everything. Pretty cool feature I thought.

Anyways, I was at Silent Moons Camp and was 1-vs-1'ing Ron the Crow. Out of nowhere, a fucking sabercat joins the battle, tackles Ron the Crow, and the dude was fighting me and a sabercat. Was pretty damn hilarious and random. Only way I could kill the dude without a partner; although, I was saving everytime I got a hit on him.

What does Sneak add to Muffle + Invisibility?

Not much. Extra damage, not triggering traps and hiding to stop combat in case you do get detected. Plus the roll ability can be used to dodge and close distances quickly. But it's more convenient to use (assuming you don't craft a "chameleon suit" of sorts, but then it doesn't matter what skills you use anyway)

Any followers that can pick locks in Requiem? Only thief-ish one I've come across is Jenassa, but she can't either (gave her lockpicks, obviously).

roll-a-die

Magister
Don't hire any followers, play solo.
While normally I'd agree, if he's playing requiem it is nearly impossibru without followers, and often followers and summoned fodder. It's not a good solo experience. I refer to it as masochist mode.

Yeah, there is a point in Requiem when you can go solo, but in the beginning, it just isn't worth wasting hours grinding just to survive a random wolf.
In fact, from my experience with the mod, its enemy compositions/resistances are pretty much geared toward a party of two: melee tank + magic damage dealer. A heavily-armored sword'n'board sucks the least when solo, but still requires a lot of enchantment shenanigans - simpler to just get a mage follower.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah WTF is up with this? I modded my health to 1 HP and it's still too easy. Did I mention my enormous penis? It's such a burden finding fitting pants!

upwardlymobile

forum posting consultant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
followers just make skyrim harder because the dumbfuck AI goes around leeroy jenkinsing every god damn thing

Incantatar

Cipher
Just started two games in Requiem (Ironman mode), 1. Imperial, heavy armor, two handed & bow knight, 2. Altmer mage. Wow, the mage has such an enormously easier start. Even with a follower the knight has very low survivability.
Holy fuck heavy armor is such a huge pain in the ass. I don't care two shits about class balance, but it's a bit crazy how easy you get buttfucked when your movability is that of a snail.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Just started two games in Requiem (Ironman mode), 1. Imperial, heavy armor, two handed & bow knight, 2. Altmer mage. Wow, the mage has such an enormously easier start. Even with a follower the knight has very low survivability.
Holy fuck heavy armor is such a huge pain in the ass. I don't care two shits about class balance, but it's a bit crazy how easy you get buttfucked when your movability is that of a snail.
You absolutely have to focus on getting lots of perks for heavy armor. I'm doing it right now, and I noticed once I got relentless run (forgot the name) and 2 points in other perks, heavy armor isn't so bad. You just have to focus on heavy armor relatively quick.

Yeah, I'm doing the crusader build, and it's tough as nails. One good thing is that I don't get 1-shotted by bows like I'm hearing from some of the other players. I take bows full on and don't get hardly any damage. I can also take a Falmer arrow without dying. Well, if I happen to be behind cover while getting shot. Those damn Falmer paralyze you so easily.

Incantatar

Cipher
I'm certainly back to the knight now. My mage died horribly at lvl 26 in Fort Kastav. Summons killed the necromancer and skeleton outside. Outside was another non-hostile conjurer who brewed a few potions. Hadn't much too say, so i went inside and shortly after back outside. The sneaky fucker suddenly attacked me and killed me in two hits. That's it, everyone in a black robe is dead on sight in the future.

DraQ

Arcane
Heavy armor rally makes you near invulnerable to arrows and normal sword attacks. Once you get some perks to improve mobility and make stamina issues somewhat manageable, builds concentrating on HA start to shine.
Of course the flipside is that casters wipe the floor with your charred remains - armor doesn't help much against magic and you no longer can dive gracefully into cover right before the ground you're standing on gets turned into a glassy crater.

Also, you need to be fucking insane or Japanese to ironman Requiem. Possibly both.
Then again I play it with Revenge of the Enemies to stave off late-game facerolling and prevent some cheese, so my perspective may be a bit skewed.

Incantatar

Cipher
Heavy armor rally makes you near invulnerable to arrows and normal sword attacks. Once you get some perks to improve mobility and make stamina issues somewhat manageable, builds concentrating on HA start to shine.
Of course the flipside is that casters wipe the floor with your charred remains - armor doesn't help much against magic and you no longer can dive gracefully into cover right before the ground you're standing on gets turned into a glassy crater.
Yes, i had quite a nice meeting with the necromancer at the guardian stone who wiped my 160 health imperial in a single second. Just standing there now, frozen. The ironman thing is something i'm reconsidering. I'll try it with minimal reloads now. At least every character who made it out of Helgen reached lvl 10+.
I guess enchanting is the only feasible way to get enough magic/elemental resistance with this character. The only problem is enchanting is a late game skill. :cry:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom