Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm the only one that thinks that ALL MMORPG sucks??

rei1974

Scholar
I can't stand MMORPG anymore. Really, every new one announced make me nausea.
They have all only one purpose, to get more money possible to each single person. Beside that, they all look identic. No plot, respawning monsters, all standard classes, etc.

I'm the only one that now HATES MMORPG ? :lol:

whatusername

Scholar
Not ALL MMORPGs are bad. Take for example Ultima Online, or EVE Online (I don't know if it's considered an MMORPG though).

Btw, shouldn't this be in MMORPG forum?

cutterjohn

Cipher
whatusername said:
Not ALL MMORPGs are bad. Take for example Ultima Online, or EVE Online (I don't know if it's considered an MMORPG though).

Btw, shouldn't this be in MMORPG forum?
Unless UO has changed the PvP rules to something sane, it is the very definition of a sucktacular MMORPG.

I just don't care for the constant grinding in MMORPGs and generally lose interest in them after a while, yet continue paying a monthly fee just in case I want to play again and not have to start a new character from scratch. I then decided that was a complete waste of $$$ after about 8m, and have just never played an MMORPG again until Minions of Mirth came out with no monthly fee. So now, I can play MoM now and then, yet leave my characters sitting on the server for whenever I want to start playing again, although I need to remember to log in every few months or so as they have instituted a char deletion policy for inactive accounts after 6m IIRC.

If LORTO still had a $200 no fee ever version, I'd have to say that I'd consider but ONLY if they had a free month or so demo... I'm just never going to play any kind of MMO that has a monthly fee again, as I haven't seen one that was interesting enough that it'd be worth paying $10-20/m for.

Until they emphasize the RPG part (and not Virtua-LARPing) more over the sucktacular grinding bullshit then yes, all MMORPGs suck for the moment.

Maybe if you could really make an impact on the world and shift events as opposed to just getting a +12 Hackmaster from killing the Super-Foozle 15 time over they could be fun.

User was nabbed fit

I think the typical MMORPG sucks because of the time you waste. It's all about character development... but for what? You grind, and grind, and grind, you get all the 1337 gear, and then what? An expansion comes out with new gear so you can start grinding again?

Why not play something 'deeper'? Then again maybe some people like the idea of becoming 'better' (even if it's just in a virtual world).

cutterjohn

Cipher
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Until they emphasize the RPG part (and not Virtua-LARPing) more over the sucktacular grinding bullshit then yes, all MMORPGs suck for the moment.

Maybe if you could really make an impact on the world and shift events as opposed to just getting a +12 Hackmaster from killing the Super-Foozle 15 time over they could be fun.
True. That's another things that bothered me about MMORPGs, and how the "world" never changed at all through the actions of the players. I had hoped in the dim past that developers might actually take an active hand in games, and code in changes as players completed major events, but it's just never happened yet.

Still the grinding aspect is also a big component of my indifference, along with typically lackluster "quests", and the unchanging worlds.

rei1974 said:
I'm the only one that now HATES MMORPG ?

They're quite terrible. I played Anarchy Online when it became free, for about a week. Even though it was free, I regretted making the effort to even download it's worthless ass.

Texas Red

Whiner
ViolentOpposition said:
I think the typical MMORPG sucks because of the time you waste. It's all about character development... but for what? You grind, and grind, and grind, you get all the 1337 gear, and then what? An expansion comes out with new gear so you can start grinding again?

Why not play something 'deeper'? Then again maybe some people like the idea of becoming 'better' (even if it's just in a virtual world).

You can be superior to others. Its sort of like nobility.

IMO, if admins themselves would grant somekind of special abilities and prestige for various feats, then it would inscrease the addictiveness. Its all about looking down on others and feeling that you have accomplished something that puts you up of others on the food chain.

I have never had a fun experience with any of them. Grind and get loot x-infinite and that's it. MMO's are for weak-minded escapists who actually get a thrill socializing with thousands of people online. Also, for people that are stupid enough to buy hype and genre popularity.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Another thing the cheap asses could do if they don't want to run in major world changes, but rather sell more expansion is to have more real live people run events in games so not every freaking quest is so linear, simplistic and bland with special semi-unique rewards as mentioned by TWD.

Zomg

Arbiter
Did you ever notice that everyone on the internet played UO and was a badass griefer?

I have pretty high hopes on Age of Conan, from all MMORPG that i`ve heard, this one sounds simply amazing, i hope the monthly fee will be a little bit cheaper then others. Its definitely something, i`ll try when having a new computer. Beserk :cool: I want some bloody fights riding on a horseback and chopping some heads off whateva.

Thats exactly what i`m looking for

Other than that, i have only tried World of Warcraft during the betatest, though, it was quite horrible. The quests were boring and it was all about the leveling stuff. The good stuff was the graphics and the different landscapes and of course the interface and all that simple noob stuff. :roll: anyways, not my thing, its more like a chat. some nightelv chick stripped for me, though. i was young and .... you know the story.

MisterStone

Arcane
Zomg said:
Did you ever notice that everyone on the internet played UO and was a badass griefer?

If the MMORPG people were paying attention, they'd realize that there is a huge untapped market of people that want to PK and fuck over the other players; then they could make a game that allows or even encourages this. This is the one thing I can never understand about these games... why have all the other people on the game if they can't do anything with one another but chat and help each other grind.

I'm just glad I got over my whole MMORPG phase when I was in high school, playing text-based MUDs. Back then no one outside of colleges even knew what the Internet was (this was like 1990-1991). Lucky for me, I can plead the fact that I was a just a kid, that I didn't actually pay money for anything, and that I was also interested in coding on the MUD once I had reached the ascenscion level.

meeneque

Liturgist
Codex 2013 Wasteland 2
MisterStone said:
If the MMORPG people were paying attention, they'd realize that there is a huge untapped market of people that want to PK and fuck over the other players; then they could make a game that allows or even encourages this.

Well EVE online is full of scumers, griefers, most of the universe is "noman's" land and the players are still finding new ways to grief in a "lawful" areas. But as somebody has mentioned maybe EVE-O isn't a MMORPG. It's still lots of fun though.

rei1974

Scholar
Btw just to clarify, I've played:
- EQ 1+2
- EVE
- DAOC
- Anarchy Online
- Vanguard

and probably a few others. Well, none of those really caught my interest for more than 3-4 months. Only exception the original EQ but because was the first in the genre. Then all the others in practice copied the basic idea:
kill mobs - get better stuff - raise level - kill tougher mobs - get even more powerful stuff

Krafter

Scholar
EVE is the only one that I find even remotely interesting, and that is mainly because I love the concept of attainable and loseable territory that can be fought over. There seems to be very little role-playing in any MMORPG, but it can be easy to get into a 'soldier in a power struggle' theme.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
The problem with MMO's is that everybody has to have the opportunity to be the hero. Quests, NPC's e.t.c. they all have to be set up to accomodate all players. How can somebody put choice and consequence into an environment that does not offer any ability to reflect consequence?

How deeply have you guys thought about the logistics of MMO's? Take a common single player RPG scenario.
"PC talks to bandit leader. PC insults bandit leader during conversation. Bandit leader turns hostile and attacks PC."
Now in an MMO this simply cannot happen. All players have to be able to speak to this NPC. Allowing the PC to kill him annoys other players who are waiting for their turn to speak to the NPC. Having him turn hostile means that all players in the area will be able to attack him (or at least be unable to speak to him).

That is a simple choice consequence scenario that simply cannot work in an MMO.

Anyway for those of you looking for a "different" kind of MMO, I suggest you check out the new Funcom IP - www.darkdaysarecoming.com could be something that you like other than the fantasy/sci-fi we have now.

Grandpa Gamer

Scholar
As I said recenty in another topic: I can't see how any MMORPG can break away from being just a huge chat room with better graphics. The very concept is broken to begin with. You can't have Lord of the Rings with everybody playing as Gandalf or some such. It's ridiculous. Online is the worst that ever happened to our beloved genre.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Grandpa Gamer said:
As I said recenty in another topic: I can't see how any MMORPG can break away from being just a huge chat room with better graphics. The very concept is broken to begin with. You can't have Lord of the Rings with everybody playing as Gandalf or some such. It's ridiculous. Online is the worst that ever happened to our beloved genre.
Agreed. I wouldn't mind so much if they weren't marketed as RPGs. Gives folks the wrong idea.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
sportforredneck said:
They're quite terrible. I played Anarchy Online when it became free, for about a week. Even though it was free, I regretted making the effort to even download it's worthless ass.
That's my experience, too, although I think I put it down after 3 days or sth. I'd hazard a guess that it was the most boring computer game I've ever played.

Lumpy

Arcane
Kingdom of Loathing is all the MMORPG you need for a couple of months at least (until it gets boring).
I've played like 5 minutes of the other MMOs and they sucked.

AZ

Liturgist
I played Anarchy Online and some other's free trial and got bored very quickly - combat sux and players playing not with each other (like online fps) but near each other. The best online game experience I have met was BF's command view whit working squads.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom