Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm the only one that thinks that ALL MMORPG sucks??

flabbyjack

Arcane
www.darkfallonline.com

I was very thankful when somebody told me about this a few years back. Now when I tell people about it and they actually bother to LOOK INTO THIS GAME, they are very happy and very pleased. There's a thread about it here at the codex -- http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=15887

This shit is very different from all the other MMOs that have made me vomit. It is a 'spiritual successor' to UO.

cutterjohn

Cipher
There's also Planeshift Crystal Blue.

Teh grafix aren't too bad for a free MMORPG. I can't say much about game play as I haven't played it much and it has been a while. It's still under development and not all planned areas are finished. From what I can recall mostly the starting city and nearby areas were finished when I tried, but a quick look at the site page again seems to indicate that they are making progress...

[EDIT]
Clients are available for Windows, linux, OSX, and FreeBSD. Source code is also available for downloading.

[EDIT2]
Seeing as I was there, and that there is a linux client, I'm downloading the linux client and will try out this newer version later on today or tomorrow...

Also, the auto-updater is apparently broken, and breaks the client, so don't use it...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
flabbyjack said:
www.darkfallonline.com

I was very thankful when somebody told me about this a few years back. Now when I tell people about it and they actually bother to LOOK INTO THIS GAME, they are very happy and very pleased. There's a thread about it here at the codex -- http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=15887

This shit is very different from all the other MMOs that have made me vomit. It is a 'spiritual successor' to UO.

It looks good. Very good. Great graphics, great feature list and interesting ideas.

DOS-fanboy

Novice
In response to the question posed by the topic creator (I am too tired to read through the whole thread):

I just hate all MMOGs, period. The grinding doesn't bother me. The lack of any cohesive storyline doesn't even bother me that much. What *does* bother me is that there are other people walking around me. That, I do not like.

I'm one of those egotistical, self-righteous, pompous A-holes who prefers to be the only hero (or villian) in a game world. When I see others running around near me it makes me very unhappy.

A friend once convinced me to buy World of Warcraft by telling me I could comfortably play solo the whole game. I purchased it, and only played when he played. Any other time, I would attempt to play solo, but people would keep bugging me. After two weeks of mindless grinding interrupted by occasional outbursts of 1337-speak and improper grammar, I retired a level 26 Cow warrior.

The only reason people play MMORPGs is so they can show off their "1337-ness" to other RPG'ers playing the game.

If Blizzard made a patch tomorrow that made all weapons and armor in the entire game look exactly alike, no matter how powerful they were, 90% of the people there would cancel their accounts the next day.

Zomg

Arbiter
My favorite MMO players are the guys that will give you the, "I'm a caaaaaasual gamer" spiel even though they will break off meals and conversations every Tuesday and Saturday evening at seven to keep a video game appointment.

rei1974

Scholar
That darkfall seems interesting, I'll check it out.
BTW if they made a singleplayer or CPU-controlled team mates of EQ 1-2, Daoc and WoW I would probably play them from time to time just for fun.
But I can't stand wait 2h for other people to form a group then after 5 minutes some of them leaves, and so on until you say "fuck" and log off... :D

Starwars

Arcane
I played Final Fantasy XI for a long time (way to long actually).

Looking back on it... Well. I'd say that I certainly had fun when I started it, taking in the world that was largely unknown with a few other people you run into was fun, though I guess you'd have to be a type of player who enjoys "the views" (eyecandy) to some extent.

Those "early days" were fun despite the simplistic grinding because there was the feeling that you have an entire world to explore, and you can do it with people you meet (that are hopefully intelligent).
Once those days have gone by, and you know about the world, you know the exact mechanics of the game, you log in because of habit and you start to drool over the uber items, that's when it takes an awful turn.
While I would say that I was certainly addicted for a while, I'm very thankful that I didn't blow off friends, leave dinners or stay home from the job just to complete some quest. :P
It's pretty crazy, how seriously people take it sometimes. When I visit some of the forums now, it's pretty hard to understand how much people have incorporated the game into their lives.

Anyways, after quitting, most thoughts of MMORPGs just leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. Except for Sociolotron of course, where you can rape other people (or be raped yourself).

rei1974

Scholar
Yes well, I remember once I didn't go out with friends because I had to "recover my cadaver on EQ 1".
The day back I realized how idiot I was and I swore to never put games BEFORE my life anymore, and I did.
Some people are really ridiculous indeed :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom