Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

IGN was not always shit

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
And here I thought he just hated hating haters hateful hatred. Consider me enlightened.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Well OA is basically a reskinned OF from 2001, HOI3 SF is based on the EU3 engine from 2007
Just like Mafia2 is a totally reskinned Mafia1 from 2002! Can you imagine that?
And ZOMG if a game uses 3 years old engine it makes it old despite being released a month ago.
Next-gen logic at work

What crap are you saying? You don't remember the shitty corridor shooting in the first one? What about the last level in the museum against 100 goons? Or the Hotel you're meant to blow up? Don't talk to me about shitty corridor shooting being exclusive to Mafia 2 cause Mafia had it in spades, and with the clunky animation it was a fucking chore.
Having trouble reading? Or do I need to point you to the 'popamole' part again? Corridors themselves aren't a problem, it's their design

What do you need to shoot from a car for anyway? Mafia 2's levels are designed differently and so that's not necessary.
Yeah they are now designed in a much shittier way. Instead of looking normal they now look like someone was taking his time putting as much garbage in every corridor as possible so you and moles can play popamole behind it.

Health regen is a bit sucky, but fuck it, that goes with every game released these days so it's hardly a revelation.
Who gives a shit if it's a norm in shitty console shooters or not? It sucks, plain and simple. Instead of proceeding carefully like in Mafia1 where each wound counts you just sit behind the box until health magically restores.

What AI are you talking about? I get hit often, though with the health regen it doesn't matter that much.
Uh huh. Except if you get hit often you do something very wrong. I remember I actually had to try to get hit because shitty AI kept missing and as you've said regen ruined it all when it was hitting. I even took my time sloooooowly aiming at enemies, while exposing myself, because stupid fucks couldn't do anything to me while I was behind magical cover.

In the first Mafia the AI was shit as well, relying on massive health damage with every hit and waves of goons from all sides constantly firing to get an advantage.
There never were waves of goons in Mafia 1, unless by waves you mean 2-3 people here and there. And they actually tried to kill me by running towards me and shooting, instead of waiting behind some retarded box until I pop their heads for a hundredth time.

GPS in 40's? Now I know you're full of shit! There was GPS in the 30's in Mafia! Sure, it didn't have the 'red line', but you had everything on a map which showed your location (GPS) and you had radar of all the vehicles including police!
Geez it's like 95% members registered in 2010 are simply retarded. In Mafia1 you were just shown a building where you needed to go on the map and that's it - you had to get there on your own (how else would they tell you where to go? Skip 2 copy-pasted boxes, turn right behind the next copy pasted box and ride to the copy pasted box?) and yes the retarded red line ruins it all in M2

Oh and when I joined has no fucking bearing on anything, you've got a join year of 2007, so according to this you're of the popamole generation as well.
Actually 2007 and 2008 still had lots and lots of people joining in who hated dumbing down and didn't cry and restart when they were losing only half of HP in M1 only to bitch about how clunky it is later.

visions

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
terrible melee combat where you just hold the block button and become unbeatable
The melee combat in the first Mafia was awkward and clunky, the weakest aspect of the game imo, so the melee in Mafia 2 being sub-par wouldn't be that different from the first game. You weren't exactly unbeatable of course, but melee was still boring and tedious.

commie said:
What crap are you saying? You don't remember the shitty corridor shooting in the first one? What about the last level in the museum against 100 goons?
I enjoyed that part more than most shootouts that came before it, felt somehow more involved and immediate.

commie said:
Or the Hotel you're meant to blow up?
Don't see what the big deal with the hotel was, had to kill only something like 5 - 6 people there.

commie said:
GPS in 40's? Now I know you're full of shit! There was GPS in the 30's in Mafia! Sure, it didn't have the 'red line', but you had everything on a map which showed your location (GPS) and you had radar of all the vehicles including police!
Haven't played Mafia 2, but the red line seems like a quite big difference, you still had to figure the route out yourself in the first game, having a red "follow me" line telling you exactly where to go sounds annoying and not fun at all.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Skyway, skyway, skyway...there were many goons in Mafia, maybe you didn't play it, but there were many missions with at least 5 or 6 at once coming at you.

You dared to suggest there was nothing like a GPS in Mafia and yet there fucking was, so you are a retard good sir! Red line is shit in M2, but be honest, in Mafia you could just superimpose the map and see where you are and the location you had to get to, and just trace the optimal route in your head, so the red line is just a visual representation of something you would have already worked out.

Oh and don't try and make yourself as being uber hard core cause you don't restart when you lose health. I only did that when I knew in advance there was going to be another scripted sequence in Mafia with a dozen goons coming at you on the way, as didn't want to have a checkpoint recorded with me almost dead.

If you defend your status for joining in 2007 by saying you raged against consoletardation well you're way behind the times there! I was raging about it in 2003 with DX:IW for example.

Oh and bitching about the clunkiness of Mafia 1 has nothing to do with being hard core or not. Hitman 47 was clunky as fuck and had many missions which were out of place (The jungle ones) and I complained about this too. Subsequent Hitman games fixed this and made the levels more consistent with the theme and easier to interact with, yet they didn't lose anything by being 'streamlined'. That's the difference between whining about a game being too hard and whining about the interface.

@ Rageing Atheist

Well the amount of goons in the hotel isn't the problem, it's the claim by Skyway that corridor shootouts are some exclusive domain of Mafia 2. You forget that there was the Church popamole shootout in that level as well against quite a few goons and the police chase as well.

The red line is sucky, but it's not like you have to follow it, and it's not there for levels where you have to do something within an allotted time. All it usually does is give you the quickest suggested route to the site of a mission, and so is far less annoying than it seems. If you're chased by the cops for example you tend to throw it out the window, making it pretty useless during an actual mission.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Clockwork Knight said:
COMMIE NO

DONT STARE INTO THE ABYSS

LET GO OF THE GLITTERING GEM OF HATRED, ITS NOT WORTH IT

:lol:

Shit man, I don't know why I bother, it's not like Mafia 1 or 2 are the greatest games on earth, though I love the atmosphere. Would be great if they made a RPG out of the premise though. The engine seems capable enough.

I'm more interested in the Mafia 2 engine and hope that it is used like the engine of the first one for a Hidden and Dangerous game. It looks great and runs mostly smooth except at night with multiple lights and reflection at 1600 x 1200 with max details on a shitty 4 year old computer, so it's well optimised.

Exmit

Scholar
talstarwars.jpg

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Dormir Con Las Arañas said:
to be fair those were the mainstream pc games of the time. mainstream pc gaming used to be good.
Article written in: 2000.
Pirates! release date: 1988.

That's twelve years. It certainly wasn't mainstream anymore by then.

spekkio

Arcane
commie said:
You haven't even played them so how coan you know if they are better or worse than the oldies?
If you are Skyway, you simply KNOW, bitch!

DraQ

Arcane
Sceptic said:
Dormir Con Las Arañas said:
to be fair those were the mainstream pc games of the time. mainstream pc gaming used to be good.
Article written in: 2000.
Pirates! release date: 1988.

That's twelve years. It certainly wasn't mainstream anymore by then.
I played it when I was youngling - translated warezed version for c64.

I was never terribly successful, but what fun did I have!

Still the bad taste from "waah! rocket science is teh hard!" bit (Elite) remains.

Fuck, even when I was a little kid, my mind didn't function like that. I didn't really know how to play original Elite on my c64 back then, but did I think it sucked?
No, it was evident the game was awesome - with starmap, system descriptions I couldn't then read, and promises of rich, engaging gameplay. I knew this game was awesome, despite my inability to handle it - why can't they recognize the awesomeness of its sequels, even if they are clearly daunted by the Newtonian spaceflight.

Roots of :decline: run deep.

hal900x

Augur
I don't know if that old debate about arcade versus sim mode is exactly decline. It was around a lot earlier than 2000, and not just with space sims. Some sim-type games (flight, racing, etc) offered dual modes (arcade and simulation) back then, to try and appeal to both flavors. Sometimes you want an F1 simulator, and sometimes you just want to play Need for Speed. Although I can't speak specifically to the Elite series...I admit to not having played any of them.

Cassidy

Arcane
A truly realistic space sim would feel more like a subsim and require insane amounts of time compression to be playable, end as a pure missile/dronefest without space fighters but only big phallic spacecrafts, so it is pointless to strive for "realism" unless when the new mechanics actually deepen and improve gameplay like in I-War.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom