Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

IGN was not always shit

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
OH WAIT THOUGH BRO IN THE EIGHTIES GAMES WERE EVEN MORE HARDCORE AND MAINSTREAM GAMES WERE EVEN BETTER

LOLLOLLOLOL BROS WE ARENT SUCKING OFF THESE GAMES BECAUSE THE ARE OLD NO OF COURSE WE ARENT LOLOLLOLLLOLOL

GUESS WAHT I PLAYED GOLDEN AXE BRUCE LEE HERO KARATE CHAMP DAMAGE AND LAZY JONES WOW MAYBE SOMEONE SHOULD STAND IN LINE TO SUCK MY COCK OR WAIT A MINUTE I JUST PLAY GAMES I LIKE\\

BRO U AM ALL CONFUSE NOW

There used to be creaky old teenagers complaining about decline back then, too.
Don't worry, the day will yet come when Oblivion is featured on GOG.

Rhalle

Magister
BLOBERT said:
OH WAIT THOUGH BRO IN THE EIGHTIES GAMES WERE EVEN MORE HARDCORE AND MAINSTREAM GAMES WERE EVEN BETTER

LOLLOLLOLOL BROS WE ARENT SUCKING OFF THESE GAMES BECAUSE THE ARE OLD NO OF COURSE WE ARENT LOLOLLOLLLOLOL

GUESS WAHT I PLAYED GOLDEN AXE BRUCE LEE HERO KARATE CHAMP DAMAGE AND LAZY JONES WOW MAYBE SOMEONE SHOULD STAND IN LINE TO SUCK MY COCK OR WAIT A MINUTE I JUST PLAY GAMES I LIKE\\

BRO U AM ALL CONFUSE NOW

There were PC games and Arcade games and Console games. Ultima IV was a PC game. Golden Axe was an Arcade Game. Super mario Bros. was a console game.

PCs were allowed to to both-- PC games and some ports of Arcade games (which were usually shitty). They were also allowed the unique stuff in-between, which were mostly PC-oriented but also actiony, like Bruce Lee, or Summer Games.

Consoles did ports of arcade games (Commando), their own actiony arcadey games (Mario Bros.), as well as stuff in-between-- which was sort of actiony-ized PC-like titles (Legend of Zelda). Some strategy games that came late on classic consoles rivaled the early PC games (lGhengis Kahn).

The problem today is that console wants to deny PC its existence, while it claims to be borrowing and preserving the good stuff that PC does-- which it does in a shitty and dumbed-down way while it works to kill PC, of course.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO HATE TO BRAKE IT TO YOU BUT TONS OF OLDSCHOOL PC RPGS WERE PORTED ULTIMA 3 4 5 6 7 WIZARDY A FEW OF THEM MIGHT AND MAGIC 2 AT LEAST BUCK ROGERS TO NES SNES SMS GENESIS SHIT IF PC GAMES WERE AROUND IN ANY AMOUNT THEYD PORT SHIT TO THE FUCKING INTELLIVERISION PROBABLY

BRO NOT TO MENTION OTHER PC TYPE SHIT LIKE POPLULOUS STAR FLIGHT STAR CONTROL KINGS BOUNTY

BRO YOU SHOULD HAVE STARTED CRYING ABOUT THE DECLINE TWENTY YEARS AGO

BROS I THINK YOU HAVE IT WRONG THE CONSOLES ARENT KILLING THE GAMES IT IS THE MEGABUDGET AND BIG STUDIO CONSOLIDATION WHICH PUTS MOST MAINSTREAM GAMES INTO A BROAD MAINSTREAM MARKET APEAL

BUT BRO WHAT DO I KNOW I AM GETTING ALL FUCKED UP RIGHT NOW

BLOBERT said:
BROS I THINK YOU HAVE IT WRONG THE CONSOLES ARENT KILLING THE GAMES IT IS THE MEGABUDGET AND BIG STUDIO CONSOLIDATION WHICH PUTS MOST MAINSTREAM GAMES INTO A BROAD MAINSTREAM MARKET APEAL
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH BLOBERT?! Next thing, he'll be claiming there's no conspiracy of dumbing down the population, that it's all just regular folk doing their jobs trying to make a living and... oh, god... are video games still the last battle for intellectual progress and refined taste? Are we still fighting the good fight?!! You aren't bailing on us here, are you, BRO?!

kris

Arcane
I sure didn't complain back then, instead I was often amazed by the new games they came up with. I checked the top15 in that list and there I saw a lot of great games.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
OLOLLOLL BRO I AM JUST FUCKING AROUND OF COURSE RPG ENTHUISIAST ARE LIKE THE CLASSIC RENASSENCE MEN ARTISTS INVENTORS INTELLECTUALS THEY RAGE AGAINST POPAMOLE BECAUSEIT IS IN THE CORE OF THE ENILIGHTENED MANS BEING

LOLLOLOL I THINK I REMEMBER SOME FAGTALK SAYING SOMETHING LIKET THAT DOWN WITH THE SHEEPLE BRO

Achilles

Arcane
Rhalle is spot-on. Back when every platform had it's own games, all was well and good. Now it's just one big clusterfuck.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
YEPO BRO ALL THAT OLD PORT STUFF WAS JUST A POPAMIOLE FANTASY LOLOLLOLLOL CALL THE DOCOTR BRIAN SURGERY IS IN SESSION

hal900x

Augur
I am never sure whether to admire or pity the guy who spends that much time maintaining the "Blobert" persona. I wonder if it's like the undercover cop syndrome, where you hang around criminals so much, you actually start to like and identify with them. I have gotten a fair amount of enjoyment from Blobert, but when I think about how he came into being, and how many posts since...

MetalCraze

Arcane
Nah he's just dumb just like other people here who think that Codex hates new games because they are new, but he thinks he found a cool way to spam his butthurt about the Codex.

DraQ

Arcane
hal900x said:
Back in 2000, they weren't all a bunch of industry whoring 'tards, apparently. This brought back some bittersweet "what the internet could have been" nostalgia and reminded me how awful everything is now.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/082/082403p1.html

The seeds of :decline: were already sown at the time:

12) Elite

Developer: Frontier Developments
Publisher: Firebird
Year Released: 1987

Synopsis: Firebird's Elite was one of the greatest games ever made, and Trent was pushing pretty hard for this one to get the top spot. Years ahead of its time, Elite used the simple graphics that were available at the time to put forth what still stands as the greatest space combat simulator ever. As a young pilot, you had to buy and sell goods to improve your ship and kill enemies to build up your combat rating. Elite featured a fantastic economic model that required you to do research about a potential trading partner to figure out whether it would be a good match for the cargo you were carrying at the time. As the game continued, plot points were introduced and you got the chance to take on secret Navy ships, unscrupulous traders, and even an entire alien fleet. Favorite moments? Trading in illegal substances and then trying to land at a space station after fighting it out with a handful of Vipers (the local police ship). Sadly, Firebird (and Gametec after them) never figured out that the ultra-simple flight model was what made the game so fun to play. Every sequel that came out to this title used real space physics and were, of course, a complete waste of time.
:x

Bitcher

Educated
This one is also lulzworthy:
ign in x-com synopsis said:
Third, the game allowed you to personalize your play experience by letting you rename all of the characters and bases in the game. It means a lot more to you when one of your friends freaks out and starts shooting at you than when some random name from a database does.
I mean, seriously?

Achilles

Arcane
BLOBERT said:
YEPO BRO ALL THAT OLD PORT STUFF WAS JUST A POPAMIOLE FANTASY LOLOLLOLLOL CALL THE DOCOTR BRIAN SURGERY IS IN SESSION

I see what you did there, but I don't mind because you are my bro :love: . It's true that ports were always popular, but up until some years ago, each platform had a much more distinct "identity".

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Bitcher said:
Third, the game allowed you to personalize your play experience by letting you rename all of the characters and bases in the game. It means a lot more to you when one of your friends freaks out and starts shooting at you than when some random name from a database does.
I mean, seriously?

I sometimes did that and loaded people I didn't like with explosives to send them as suicide bombers :oops:

zeitgeist

Magister
Bitcher said:
I mean, seriously?
Yes, what? This majorly contributed to the incredible attachment to the squad members in X-COM that players have often described. Not only the ability to rename them but also the random database names and how it all tied into the squad customization. For example there's the often mentioned case of randomly getting two people with the same last name and pretending they're husband and wife, or having a veteran trooper and suddenly seeing his rookie brother join the cause. This influenced their interactions in game and how you played the squad they're in on more than one level.

What Codex likes to call LARPing was a huge reason why X-COM was so great, and this is something that will never be replicated by Biowaresque dating sim characters, no matter how well written they are or what emotional strings they're designed to tug on.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
MetalCraze said:
Nah he's just dumb just like other people here who think that Codex hates new games because they are new, but he thinks he found a cool way to spam his butthurt about the Codex.

But it's true: you hate new games because they are new! Take Mafia 2 for example. I just played it and it's not all that different from the first one, the popamole mechanic is just a little more convenient with a key press than in the past, but combat is essentially the same. I like the first stealth mission how it doesn't go into detail about what to do and you figure out yourself without a big red star telling you that it's better to disable the alarm to the safe first etc. I was surprised that it wasn't totally consolefucked.
Yet despite it being actually a less clunky version of the first one, all of a sudden it sucks and the first one is so much better! Even the mission variety which is ridden down in the second one here is a bullshit argument, as the first one was exactly the same! All the angst in the cutscenes didn't change the fact that every mission in Mafia was also a car chase or a shootout!

MetalCraze

Arcane
But it's true: you hate new games because they are new!

Shit I didn't know OA, Victoria 2, HoI3 SF, BB:LE and Civ5, some of which didn't come out yet, were old!

Take Mafia 2 for example. I just played it and it's not all that different from the first one, the popamole mechanic is just a little more convenient with a key press than in the past, but combat is essentially the same.
Let's see. Awful popamole shooting in tight corridors that makes you invincible while you twitch the win button behind heavily armoured wooden boxes, with badly designed levels thanks to stupidly pre-placed cover instead of normal gameplay from Mafia 1, lack of ability to shoot from the car, health regen, terrible melee combat where you just hold the block button and become unbeatable, absolutely attrocious AI that can't even hit you unlike in M1, GPS in 40s, etc.
Totally like Mafia 1. I wonder where did you see the simi...
Ah

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Shit I didn't know OA, Victoria 2, HoI3 SF, BB:LE and Civ5, some of which didn't come out yet, were old!

Well OA is basically a reskinned OF from 2001, HOI3 SF is based on the EU3 engine from 2007 ;) Whining about Civ 5 makes no sense and you haven't even played them so how coan you know if they are better or worse than the oldies?

Let's see. Awful popamole shooting in tight corridor with badly designed levels thanks to stupidly pre-placed cover instead of normal gameplay from Mafia 1, lack of ability to shoot from the car, health regen, terrible melee combat where you just hold the block button and become unbeatable, absolutely attrocious AI that can't even hit you unlike in M1, GPS in 40s, etc.
Totally like Mafia 1. I wonder where did you see the simi...

What crap are you saying? You don't remember the shitty corridor shooting in the first one? What about the last level in the museum against 100 goons? Or the Hotel you're meant to blow up? Don't talk to me about shitty corridor shooting being exclusive to Mafia 2 cause Mafia had it in spades, and with the clunky animation it was a fucking chore.
What do you need to shoot from a car for anyway? Mafia 2's levels are designed differently and so that's not necessary. That's a pathetic complaint especially when they'll just make missions like this for the DLC if they aren't already going to be in the one being released in a few days.
Health regen is a bit sucky, but fuck it, that goes with every game released these days so it's hardly a revelation. In the first Mafia if I was half dead I just restarted the checkpoint anyway so it's no biggie. What AI are you talking about? I get hit often, though with the health regen it doesn't matter that much. In the first Mafia the AI was shit as well, relying on massive health damage with every hit and waves of goons from all sides constantly firing to get an advantage. In Mafia 2, you have at least some possibility to sneak up on fuckers.

GPS in 40's? Now I know you're full of shit! There was GPS in the 30's in Mafia! Sure, it didn't have the 'red line', but you had everything on a map which showed your location (GPS) and you had radar of all the vehicles including police! Stop with the shitty strawman arguments. If Mafia had nothing at all and you had to use your fucking head then your argument would be valid, but as it is it doesn't.

Oh and when I joined has no fucking bearing on anything, you've got a join year of 2007, so according to this you're of the popamole generation as well.

Der_Unbekannte

Educated
MetalCraze said:

Skyway complaining about people who hate new games...
head_explode-470x327.jpg

Silellak

Cipher
Der_Unbekannte said:
MetalCraze said:

Skyway complaining about people who hate new games...
head_explode-470x327.jpg
For the record, Skyway wasn't complaining about people who hate new games. He was complaining about people (BLOBERT) who think the Codex only hates new games because they are new.

the_more_you_know2.jpg

However, I still :love: me some BLOBERT.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom