Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline IGN Goes Beyond Retarded

flyingjohn

Arcane
I'm surprised that Disco Elysium is in their top ten, did that succeed in the mainstream market?
Disco is story focused and supports communism,the wet dream for journalist.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
I'm surprised that Disco Elysium is in their top ten, did that succeed in the mainstream market? I thought it'd be pretty niche. I liked the game but certainly wouldn't put it that high, was it popular or is IGN writer trying to be eclectic?

The game was nominated for four awards at The Game Awards 2019 and won all of them, the most at the event.[76] Slant Magazine,[77] USGamer,[78] PC Gamer,[79] and Zero Punctuation[80] chose it as their game of the year, while Time included it as one of their top 10 games of the 2010s.[81] The game was also nominated for the 2020 Nebula Award for Best Game Writing.[82]

Whimper

Educated
I'm surprised that Disco Elysium is in their top ten, did that succeed in the mainstream market? I thought it'd be pretty niche. I liked the game but certainly wouldn't put it that high, was it popular or is IGN writer trying to be eclectic?

The game was nominated for four awards at The Game Awards 2019 and won all of them, the most at the event.[76] Slant Magazine,[77] USGamer,[78] PC Gamer,[79] and Zero Punctuation[80] chose it as their game of the year, while Time included it as one of their top 10 games of the 2010s.[81] The game was also nominated for the 2020 Nebula Award for Best Game Writing.[82]
Wow! Okay, I really wouldn't've expected that.

Magnum

Novice
There hasn't been any significant progress for the last 20 years at the very least - and a lot of decline, with entire genres that were quite fun being almost completely wiped out, and certainly wiped out from big productions - shmups, adventure games, space sims.

HSWhzH8.jpg

Riskbreaker

Disco Elysium is a very esoteric "RPG" game that is only played by the small cadre of sophisticated, intelligent people who understand "RPG" games whereas the masses are satisfied with their "Nintendos".

Whimper

Educated
I don't think it's a sophisticated game let alone one for sophisticated people but it's quite enjoyable. I'm surprised it ranks so highly in mainstream things like this article since it's isometric and from a very small company, it's a bit of an oddity really.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Games journalists have no credentials really, they're just random people who play games and managed to sell themselves enough to get hired. It's only natural that their lists will just be a bunch of random popular games thrown together.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
The Famitsu's Top 100 games of all time list isn't much better. I wonder why the current press is so in love with BOTW.
I see Xevious is here as the Ms. Pac-Man of this list. What? It's like if you only listed one FPS and it was Wolf 3D. Literally any other game is better. Even normie gamers know better shmups. What's the excuse for actual Japanese professionals to not know even the most basic facts about the things their entire careers are about? Games journalists never cease to amaze.

53. Ms. Pac-Man

These lists often seem almost chosen at random. Why Ms. Pac Man specifically over Pac Man? Surely not because female protagonist? Gameplay is identical IIRC.

IGN and all content it produces is shit and has always been shit. Don't give them any traffic.

That said, Ms. Pac Man is a significantly different game from the original Pac Man and in my estimation much better:

1. It has 4 different boards, while the original only had 1.
2. The boards themselves were more engaging, with more exit tunnels.
3. Fruits are not static on the boards, they move around, which leads to more dynamic gameplay.
4. Ghost AI is significantly improved and more reactive and dynamic, compared to the more predictable behaviour of the original game's ghosts. This makes the game much harder.

I don't see a reason to play the original over Ms. Pac Man at all.

Here's why the Ms. Pac-Man thing is actually weird. Pac-Man Championship Edition is a thing, and Pac-Man Championship Edition is the very best version of Pac-Man there is, even better than the two follow-ups that came after.

As a best of list it's all over the fucking place in the same way. It's less a best of list and more a Here's 100 Games I Remembered list. There's a number of third person shooters on the list, but only Resident Evil 4 (I haven't played Control) could actually be said to be there for its gameplay. You've got something like Uncharted 2 being there for its impressive looking set pieces despite the gameplay being total dog shit, meanwhile games like Vanquish and Max Payne 2, which actually have good gameplay and the high-octane action they talk about but it comes about from things you can actually do. Likewise there's something like new God of War with it's shitty game design, but no God Hand. BioShock over System Shock 2 is really odd; although unlike those other things, System Shock 2 surprisingly made the list.

Mortal Kombat 11 has to be one of the funnier picks. Like in the little blurb under MK11 they say something about its unparalleled customization, which seems kind of funny since the customization system was just a worse version of what they already did in Injustice 2. My understanding is also that MK11 isn't as good, or as well liked as MKX...and I can think of a number of fighting games better than MKX.

InSight

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Just where exactly is this "technical advancement" you speak of?
The technical advancement example mentioned by wishbonetail is indeed minor/moot/small. The genre's have progress into 3d environment which allows a potential use of 360x360 angle views with hundreds of frame's per second/instance with much longer than screen size amount of distance, limited by technology.

The beat em up have progressed to games such as God Hand, Devil may cry, Metal Gear Revengance. Essentially one is beating (striking repeatedly) in these games be it hand or blade. Its the dimension that changed into greater, wider horizon that could fit more things that could disrupt the pacing due the larger size depending on the design.
Shmups were advanced into the FPS, Serious Sam is fitting example based on its screenshots/videos gunning down hordes of incoming/charging monster or 3rd person shooters such as Vanquish.
It is in these games that technical advancement occurred. One would not see/notice/accept them if one confines oneself strongly inside the box of categories.

The best of developer would gravitated towards the best tools to create/develop/make better works, Hench their older variants would halt in progress or their is not much in progressing them for they are constrained by their 2d environment.

In fact, this is true for every single genre of videogames. There hasn't been any significant progress for the last 20 years at the very least
Define/explain/show what is significant progress in video games. For one can find significant progress in these for they have done things not done before:
Crysis(2007)
Zelda Breath of the Wild(2017)
PlanetSide 2(2012) capable of hosting so far up to 1261 players in a single match, similar to EVE colossal battle but with more details.
Planetery Annihilation(2014) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QvqCn7sWec

What other games that can do what these game do, to disregard them as significant progress? if one is capable of them is another issue.

The above have been released in the last 20 year period. Is one simply being true to one's forum's account name?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom