Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline IGN Goes Beyond Retarded

bionicman

Liturgist
No, you’re NOT a real gamer.

I’m so sick of all these people that think they’re gamers. No, you’re not. Most of you are not even close to being gamers. I see these people saying “I put well over 100 hours in this game, it’s great!” that’s nothing, most of us can easily put 300+ hours in all our games. I see people who only have a Nintendo Switch and claim to be gamers. Come talk to me when you pick up a PS4 controller then we be friends.

Also DEAR ALL WOMEN: Pokémon is not a real game. Animal Crossing is not a real game. The Sims is not a real game. Mario is not a real game. Stardew valley is not a real game. Mobile games are NOT. REAL. GAMES. put down the baby games and play something that requires challenge and skill for once.

Sincerely, all of the ACTUAL gamers.

toughasnails

As far as these lists go it isn't half bad given that it has a fair number of less than obvious PC tittles and lesser known stuff in general. They'll always be of its time so I'm not too bothered with some of the choices and placements. It's certainly not nearly as bad as RPS's infamous lists.

I don't mind them putting 20 Marios and Zeldas at the top, it's their judgement regarding specific genres (Ass Effect and Twitcher best WRPGs, Chrono Trigger best JRPG, GTA V best GTA etc.) that makes it a really lowbrow list.

Also, you can immediately see they're not real gamers as there are no racing games there (I see Mario Kart 8 and Burnout 3, but that just proves my point).

dacencora

Zelda is one of the most well-designed and consistently good series of video games. Pure adventure captured incredibly well with gameplay that is fun and memorable. Despite the retardation of this list, Zelda is one of the best series of all time. BOTW shouldn’t be the #1 game of all time, because it isn’t even the #1 Zelda game. I think IGN wanted it to be the Ocarina of Time of this gen (because OoT is the highest rated game on metacritic or something, idk).

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
What did you expect ign is the quintessential modern game jurnalist, posting and clicking the link is actually helping them

Not if we throw enough abuse their way. It would be nice to see some tweets & shit about "staff taking toxic vitrol" etc. by the end of the day.
If you really need to share and promote their garbage, you could next time use an archive.org link instead.

Also:
So out of the top 100 games of all time, Fable 2, Monster Hunter: World, Skyrim, Earthbound and Undertale are all worthy of a place on there ahead of any Baldur's Gate games apparently. :hahano:
Nothing wrong with that, Baldur's Gate is garbage.

wishbonetail

Learned
RE: Nothing wrong with that, Baldur's Gate is garbage
Finally, the circle is closed, we determined that everything is shit. Always has been.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Producing lists that monitor, rate and judge is so characteristic of a bullshit job. The poor sods that are compiling these lists are probably themselves being monitored by a man-ager. IGN could go bust overnight and nobody would even feel there's something amiss.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
I counted 25 games from the 90s, and only 5 from the 80s. Of those, a huge chunk are Nintendo titles. The codex claim of living in times of decline is deboonked; fact checkers confirm, video games are now better than ever :smug:

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I've not played most of those, but there is a reason why Zelda is so beloved. I only played OoT and Majora's Mask. I hated Majora's Mask, but OoT was fucking ridiculously great.

Mario 64 and Zelda: OoT are two of the greatest games ever made. Anyways, I'm surprised the Last of Us: 2 is on there and not the first one which I've never played, but people harp on about it being among the greatest games ever.

Like, games that I know are high tier from either friends talking about them or how they were crazy good are Half-Life, Last of Us, GTA: SA, Halo, MGS, Dark Souls, Fallout: 2, Symphony of the Night, Mario 64, OoT, Silent Hill: 2, Deus Ex, System Shock: 2, Doom, Baldur's Gate: 2, and Counter Strike.

I feel any list needs to have these at least or games that are better sequels.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Anyways, I'm surprised the Last of Us: 2 is on there and not the first one which I've never played, but people harp on about it being among the greatest games ever.
TLoU2 became another pet cause of the left because it owned the chuds, so of course it needs to be there. Nevermind that the fans hated it.

Screenshot from 2022-01-02 23-51-36.png

(And this is after the purge of thousands of negative reviews)

Codex Year of the Donut
Reminder that Battle for Bikini Bottom(rated 5/10 by IGN) has a higher user score on Steam than pretty much any game that was given a 10/10 by IGN in years.
:M

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Must be about clicks instead of objective journalism.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom