Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I wish to *know* more: 20 questions on AoD

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
galsiah said:
Hopefully things are reasonably coherent in AoD. If it's usually impossible to get from A to B without five bandit attacks, then teleportation seems dodgy; if such encounters are rare, or can usually be avoided, it's not bad.
AoD isn't championing a go-anywhere-do-anything exploration aspect, so that's no great issue.
It's not a fast travel system. We use it to bypass boring "travel from building A to building B" stuff, which, in my opinion, is often a pain. We don't use it to travel between towns or outside of towns.

I'd rather there were the option to delay things a little though. It's all well and good that a quest won't wait around forever, but I'd rather not have the only options be "Go right now" and "Refuse quest". An "I need to take care of some stuff first" option is always nice. The player should usually have the option to delay as long as makes sense - but no longer.
Some quests do have the "give me some time" option, some quests don't due to their importance. If you are offered to assassinate one of the top Imperial Guards' guys, it's understandable that you won't be able to leave the assassins guild [alive] before the assassination. If you need equipment, it will be provided. Etc.

galsiah

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
We use it to bypass boring "travel from building A to building B" stuff, which, in my opinion, is often a pain.
Good to know. That's certainly a plus - time-consuming non-decisions ought to be automated where possible.

Some quests do have the "give me some time" option, some quests don't due to their importance.
Fine and dandy - so long as it makes reasonable sense.

Vault Dweller

Developer
There is an option. See the screens in the RPG Vault article. You can either kill the IG commander or you can kill your partner and then talk to the commander. Teh role-playing.

Red Russian

Scholar
The only thing I want to know is wether Age of Decadence is a code word for Anus of Diarrhoea?

Also, the game sounds awsome. ;)

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Can't think of anything else at this point. We often teleport you instantly to your destination. For example, in that assassins quest that was described in the RPG Vault article, you get the quest at the assassins guild and told to go to the inn after dark. If you agree, when you click ok, we teleport you to the inn and it's already dark (the night map), so you don't need to walk around or wait/sleep.

Don't like that. It takes away responsibility and options from the player. It should be up to me to meet an importent appointement or screw it up becasue I thought it was important to chase rats in someones basement - and bear the consequences. This unecessarily limts choices to be made by the player, something AoD should stay far away from. Make this an extra option at least (Go to your target instantly? 1) Yes, take me to the inn. 2) No, continue playing.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Since we don't measure time in the game and thus showing up 15 minutes later (and hopefully seeing something interesting, like all your brethren are slaughtered because *you* weren't there on time) is physically impossible, then what's the point? We don't force quests on you, we give you an opportunity to accept or decline, but if you accepted a quest, I see nothing wrong with taking you where you need to be instantly.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Wasn't that the exact reasoning behind the quest compass and fast travel in Oblivion? I guess someone should revisit their review. I'm just fucking with you, I knew playing Oblivion and Gothic 3 for the last year would warp your mind. I'm just waiting for the news post where you announce you've changed combat to twitch action.

Lumpy

Arcane
I don't remember VD criticizing Fast Travel, and the compass is just dumbing down.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Since we don't measure time in the game and thus showing up 15 minutes later (and hopefully seeing something interesting, like all your brethren are slaughtered because *you* weren't there on time) is physically impossible, then what's the point? We don't force quests on you, we give you an opportunity to accept or decline, but if you accepted a quest, I see nothing wrong with taking you where you need to be instantly.
No time - don't like that either.
But even accepting that decision, how about me wanting to equip myself, gather information (e.g. to help me decide if the opportunity to switch sides presents itself), or simply having a drink at the pub, prior to going where I need to go? It's all part of roleplaying.

Kraszu

Prophet
Fast travel isn't necessary bad, implementation in Oblivion is bad it should not work like teleport it just should save you from pressing "w" for hours, but not let you to overcome problems that are on your way.

Vault Dweller

Developer
GhanBuriGhan said:
Why? What are the advantages?

But even accepting that decision, how about me wanting to equip myself, gather information (e.g. to help me decide if the opportunity to switch sides presents itself), or simply having a drink at the pub, prior to going where I need to go? It's all part of roleplaying.
Let's leave the "having a drink at the pub" role-playing for TES games as the imaginary activities seem to be the strength of the last two games, and talk about the other stuff instead.

First, let me state again, the goal is not to railroad players but to remove unnecessary and boring actions. Traveling through maps in Fallout/ToEE/BG was boring. ToEE's starting town's quests wouldn't have been half as horrible had the game teleported you from one place to another instead of forcing you to run all over the town, which just. wasn't. fun.

Second, often not allowing your character to leave is more logical than hiring him for a very sensitive job that should be kept secret at all costs and then allowing him to wander the streets and figure out ways to double-cross. We do offer a lot of double-cross opportunities, but they are more interesting than simple going to another party and saying that you've been hired to act against their interests. For example, in that assassination quest (the RPG Vault article) you can't warn the commander before the quest as you can't leave the guild, but you can kill your partner, thus preventing the assassination and then talk to the target, which is a much better option. You will be provided all necessary equipment: crossbow, 10 armor piercing bolts, merchant robes to disguise yourself, a rope to exit through the window, and even some crossbow training. The guild takes good care of its members.

Another example is the first Imperial Guards' quest (also explaining why someone wants the Imperial Guards commender dead)

Centurion: So, these are the new recruits? *the centurion looks critically at every recruit* I suppose we can't expect better quality from a shithole like Teron, can we? However, we are the Imperial Guards - the backbone of the Empire, and for more than a thousand years we've been making real fighters out of local scum whose idea of a good fight is backstabbing someone. You boys set a new low standard for "local scum", but our commander needs some new faces, not associated with the Imperial Guards, which is why you are here.

NPC's description:
Like any other officer of the Imperial Guards, commander Marcus Carrinas earned his rank in numerous battles with barbarians and renegade Houses. His tactics lacked finesse, but showed strength and willingness to fight no matter the odds, which is why he was usually called the Bull. The last battle gave him the rank of commander and a deep shoulder wound that didn't heal properly. Despite his protests Carrinas was sent to Teron to spend his days shuffling papers and telling old war stories. Deep down inside the farm boy he once was wanted the long deserved rest, but the Bull was a soldier and lived to fight.

Carrinas: Hail to you, soldiers. You've finally made the right choice - the only choice - a fighting man can make. Welcome to your new family!

Now, about your mission... To understand it better, you need to know our history. After the death of the last Emperor and the devastation caused by the war, the remaining land and power were divided among seven Noble Houses that were still strong enough to govern and rebuild.

That was 382 years ago. Instead of rebuilding the Noble Houses fought each other for what was left of the Empire, completely eliminating three Houses and destroying a large number of towns and villages. House Daratan, once one of the most powerful Houses of the Empire, is the next to fall. It wouldn't take much to destroy it, yet Lord Antidas refuses to accept the obvious. It needs to be pointed out.

Centurion!

Centurion:
A trading caravan from Maadoran is arriving today. When the caravan reaches the gate, it will stay there for a few hours, until the guards estimate the cargo and negotiate the tariffs. At this point you will attack from the outside, dressed as raiders. The cargo is to be delivered to us, so don't get any ideas. Weapons and armor will be provided. Questions!

1. Why are you sending only the new recruits?
Your faces are not associated with the Imperial Guards. Do I really need to explain that?

2. Why do we have to attack this caravan?
Good question, but don't ask questions that start with "why" again. We are the army, son. We tell you what to do, you do it in a fast and efficient manner. If you like to question everything, you can do it elsewhere. However, I will answer your question as a favor to you, so now you owe me one.

We can't take Teron over without having a good reason, otherwise all Noble Houses will unite against us. So, we need a loud complaint - and nobody is more loud than a bunch of freshly robbed merchants, and a proof that Antidas' guards can't protect the town anymore. This attack will give us both.

3. I changed my mind.
*the centurion looks at someone behind you* Throw him outside in the morning. *A heavy blow brings you on your knees. Darkness.*

4. I'm ready.

<after>

Good job. The merchants have just left. They begged us to do everything in our power to protect Teron. Helping citizens in need is what the Imperial Guards are all about, so we *will* do everything in our power, and power is something we don't lack.

Option 4 will take you directly to the caravan. Option 3 is your way out. Considering the nature of the quest and the overall quality of the recruits, it makes more sense than letting you go, hoping that you'll keep your mouth shut.

John Yossarian

Magister
The teleporting sounds fine in this case.

Now, can a Cuban nitpick the writing? Yes?. Thank you.
whose idea of a good fight is to backstabbing someone
Shouldn't it be " to backstab someone" or "fight is backstabbing someone"?.
Instead of rebuilding the Noble Houses fought each other for, completely eliminating three Houses and destroying a large number of towns and villages.
Should there be something after "for", like power or land? Or you could just remove the "for".
House Daratan, once one of the most powerful Houses of the Empire, is the next to fall
I don't know if the last part is wrong, but it sounds weird. Maybe "will be the next to fall", or "is next in line to fall", but those sound crappy. Someone suggest something better (but please don't turn it into a complete rewrite)

Also, STOP.SPOILING.QUESTS. AND NO, I CAN'T JUST NOT READ THEM.

Vault Dweller

Developer
John Yossarian said:
whose idea of a good fight is to backstabbing someone
Shouldn't it be " to backstab someone" or "fight is backstabbing someone"?.
Typo. It's "to backstab" in the database, but when I copy-pasted, I thought that backstabbing sounds better and fixed it quickly, forgetting to remove "to".

Should there be something after "for", like power or land? Or you could just remove the "for".
Same thing. It says "for what's left of the Empire", but I decided to remove it, leaving "for" accidentally. I blame my wife who distracted me by bitching about various things I was supposed to do, but didn't.

Also, STOP.SPOILING.QUESTS. AND NO, I CAN'T JUST NOT READ THEM.
I was trying to explain how things work, and since talking about it in general failed, I had to illustrate my point with an example. Anyway, these are the first few quests, so it's not a big deal.

Edit: Anyway, how's the quest overall? You'll have a dialogue option when the attack starts to side with the town guards/merchants and attack the "raiders" instead.

John Yossarian

Magister
I thought it was a bit sketchy that you (the group of snoobs) would be able to win in a fight against well trained town guards and some merchants, but then I reread and if it is true that Antidas' forces can't protect the town (i.e that it wasn't just an excuse from the Imperial guy to take over the town) then it would make perfect sense.
If it isn't too much of a spoiler, who would change their impression of you if you take part in the raid, just the imperial guys and maybe Antidas' house and the merchants, or the whole town (after all, you changed the town's leadership which it's pretty significant to everyone's lives)?

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
GhanBuriGhan said:
Why? What are the advantages?
I can live with the decision. But for me it helps immersion (in the best sense of the word) into a gameworld if time passes in a palpable manner. I like day night cycles, timed quests and all that stuff.

Let's leave the "having a drink at the pub" role-playing for TES games as the imaginary activities seem to be the strength of the last two games, and talk about the other stuff instead.

First, let me state again, the goal is not to railroad players but to remove unnecessary and boring actions. Traveling through maps in Fallout/ToEE/BG was boring. ToEE's starting town's quests wouldn't have been half as horrible had the game teleported you from one place to another instead of forcing you to run all over the town, which just. wasn't. fun.
Only you can't decide what's fun for me and what isn't. I don't mind that you give the option, but it should be up to me. Because the way you described it you ARE railroading me, no matter your intentions. I absolutely hate it when games take over decision like that for me if there isn't an ingame reason for it. If your quest is about me being overwhelmed, getting stuffed in a sack and being hauled to the deepest point of a dungeon, I have no problem with that whatsoever. If your example would end with "you need to follow me now" (with an option to deny and get flung out of the guild) fine too. In the example you gave, I damn well want to have the option to maybe buy different equipment than what the guild offers me, or whatever. It simply should be my call, my decision in accordance with how I imagine my characters actions.

Second, often not allowing your character to leave is more logical than hiring him for a very sensitive job that should be kept secret at all costs and then allowing him to wander the streets and figure out ways to double-cross. We do offer a lot of double-cross opportunities, but they are more interesting than simple going to another party and saying that you've been hired to act against their interests. For example, in that assassination quest (the RPG Vault article) you can't warn the commander before the quest as you can't leave the guild, but you can kill your partner, thus preventing the assassination and then talk to the target, which is a much better option. You will be provided all necessary equipment: crossbow, 10 armor piercing bolts, merchant robes to disguise yourself, a rope to exit through the window, and even some crossbow training. The guild takes good care of its members.
Who says it's a better option? You? I like it when I have as many options open to me that seem logical (as in : would occur to the character in game) as possible. I was also talking about research, information gathering, to have a basis for the decision.

Another example is the first Imperial Guards' quest (also explaining why someone wants the Imperial Guards commender dead)

Centurion: So, these are the new recruits? *the centurion looks critically at every recruit* I suppose we can't expect better quality from a shithole like Teron, can we? However, we are the Imperial Guards - the backbone of the Empire, and for more than a thousand years we've been making real fighters out of local scum whose idea of a good fight is backstabbing someone. You boys set a new low standard for "local scum", but our commander needs some new faces, not associated with the Imperial Guards, which is why you are here.

NPC's description:
Like any other officer of the Imperial Guards, commander Marcus Carrinas earned his rank in numerous battles with barbarians and renegade Houses. His tactics lacked finesse, but showed strength and willingness to fight no matter the odds, which is why he was usually called the Bull. The last battle gave him the rank of commander and a deep shoulder wound that didn't heal properly. Despite his protests Carrinas was sent to Teron to spend his days shuffling papers and telling old war stories. Deep down inside the farm boy he once was wanted the long deserved rest, but the Bull was a soldier and lived to fight.

Carrinas: Hail to you, soldiers. You've finally made the right choice - the only choice - a fighting man can make. Welcome to your new family!

Now, about your mission... To understand it better, you need to know our history. After the death of the last Emperor and the devastation caused by the war, the remaining land and power were divided among seven Noble Houses that were still strong enough to govern and rebuild.

That was 382 years ago. Instead of rebuilding the Noble Houses fought each other for what was left of the Empire, completely eliminating three Houses and destroying a large number of towns and villages. House Daratan, once one of the most powerful Houses of the Empire, is the next to fall. It wouldn't take much to destroy it, yet Lord Antidas refuses to accept the obvious. It needs to be pointed out.

Centurion!

Centurion:
A trading caravan from Maadoran is arriving today. When the caravan reaches the gate, it will stay there for a few hours, until the guards estimate the cargo and negotiate the tariffs. At this point you will attack from the outside, dressed as raiders. The cargo is to be delivered to us, so don't get any ideas. Weapons and armor will be provided. Questions!

1. Why are you sending only the new recruits?
Your faces are not associated with the Imperial Guards. Do I really need to explain that?

2. Why do we have to attack this caravan?
Good question, but don't ask questions that start with "why" again. We are the army, son. We tell you what to do, you do it in a fast and efficient manner. If you like to question everything, you can do it elsewhere. However, I will answer your question as a favor to you, so now you owe me one.

We can't take Teron over without having a good reason, otherwise all Noble Houses will unite against us. So, we need a loud complaint - and nobody is more loud than a bunch of freshly robbed merchants, and a proof that Antidas' guards can't protect the town anymore. This attack will give us both.

3. I changed my mind.
*the centurion looks at someone behind you* Throw him outside in the morning. *A heavy blow brings you on your knees. Darkness.*

4. I'm ready.

<after>

Good job. The merchants have just left. They begged us to do everything in our power to protect Teron. Helping citizens in need is what the Imperial Guards are all about, so we *will* do everything in our power, and power is something we don't lack.

Option 4 will take you directly to the caravan. Option 3 is your way out. Considering the nature of the quest and the overall quality of the recruits, it makes more sense than letting you go, hoping that you'll keep your mouth shut.

I have to run, so need to reply to this later.

Vault Dweller

Developer
John Yossarian said:
I thought it was a bit sketchy that you (the group of snoobs) would be able to win in a fight against well trained town guards and some merchants, but then I reread and if it is true that Antidas' forces can't protect the town (i.e that it wasn't just an excuse from the Imperial guy to take over the town) then it would make perfect sense.
There are two gate guards and three merchants against seven raiders. It's not an attack against the town, it's a quick hit-n-run that relies on the element of surprise.

If it isn't too much of a spoiler, who would change their impression of you if you take part in the raid, just the imperial guys and maybe Antidas' house and the merchants, or the whole town (after all, you changed the town's leadership which it's pretty significant to everyone's lives)?
The factions only, i.e. House Daratan and the merchants guild. And no, you didn't change the town's leadership yet. It's only the first step - establishing the pretext for further actions (quests). Like I said before, unlike most games with non-linear side quests and linear main quest, AoD has a non-linear main quest, but linear faction quests, telling different stories and painting a good picture of the setting.

sqeecoo

Arcane
The quest looks very nice, but I also dislike teleportation. And tracking time would be nice. But nothing I can't live without.

However,

"NPC's description:
Like any other officer of the Imperial Guards, commander Marcus Carrinas earned his rank in numerous battles with barbarians and renegade Houses. His tactics lacked finesse, but showed strength and willingness to fight no matter the odds, which is why he was usually called the Bull. The last battle gave him the rank of commander and a deep shoulder wound that didn't heal properly. Despite his protests Carrinas was sent to Teron to spend his days shuffling papers and telling old war stories. Deep down inside the farm boy he once was wanted the long deserved rest, but the Bull was a soldier and lived to fight."

The last sentence is out of place. While even the information before it is not really common knowledge, the last bit is practically mind-reading, and I don't think it should be there. Or at least change it to make the narrator seem less omniscent.

Vault Dweller

Developer
GhanBuriGhan said:
I can live with the decision. But for me it helps immersion (in the best sense of the word) into a gameworld if time passes in a palpable manner. I like day night cycles, timed quests and all that stuff.
We have timed quests and we have day/night "scenes". Look at the combat screen in the RPG Vault article.
http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/749/749013p1.html

Timed quests are quests that will be automatically resolved once you leave the location. For example, the "save the kidnapped noble" quest (I used it as an example before). You are asked to help House Daratan to rescue a kidnapped noble. Needless to say, it's not something that can wait 3 months. So, as long as you are in Teron, which includes its satellite locations (small places nearby), there is no pressure to solve this quest. Once you leave Teron and go adventuring, the quest will be solved automatically. The default outcome is the town guards attacked the raiders camp, killed 'em all, but the noble was killed during the battle.

Only you can't decide what's fun for me and what isn't.
Yes and no. I *shouldn't* decide for you, but since I was the one who designed every quest and outcome, the gameplay will reflect my ideas on what fun is and isn't. For example, I think that text-adventures are fun, which is why they are in the game. I think that killing monsters for XP and loot isn't fun, so guess what, there are 4 monsters in AoD, and they all talk. Crazy, eh?

In the example you gave, I damn well want to have the option to maybe buy different equipment than what the guild offers me, or whatever.
Take a look at the screens. The guild set everything up. Your task is to shoot the guy through the hole, using a crossbow. He wears armor, so steel (third best) AP bolts are provided. You are the trigger man in this particular quest, nothing else. Other options don't make any sense. The only logical choice here is either kill the target or your partner. This is the most important choice in this quest.

It simply should be my call, my decision in accordance with how I imagine my characters actions.
I was in the army once. Mostly I was told to do very specific (often stupid) things and nobody was interested in how I imagined my character's actions. Bastards!

Who says it's a better option? You? I like it when I have as many options open to me that seem logical (as in : would occur to the character in game) as possible. I was also talking about research, information gathering, to have a basis for the decision.
Logical is the key word here. As for the info gathering, give me an example. What are the questions and what are the answers that would provide a basis for the decision?

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I think it makes sense. And day night cycles can add to a game, if it is designed to. Look at arcanum, night time was good for robbing, but if you wanted to sell, all you had to do was hit the rest button to skip time. In ToEE the taverns had different people at night than the day.

But I can definitely see why not having a day/night cycle, and just having day and night events would make sense and be the better design decision in this case. The army quest makes sense, a lot more sense than being allowed to have time to think the order over. I would have to say option 3 is a little weak, refusing to follow an order would result in a lot more punishment than a little nap.

Same with the assasin quest. I'm guessing, in a real scenario, you say yes right then or there or you get killed right then and there. No organized group would ever tell you about a high-level assasination and just let you wander free with the knowledge.

Quest looks great, and my only complaint about anything would be the omnipotent third person knowledge of the description of the Carrinas. Looks great, when am I going to get my beta version?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Roqua said:
Same with the assasin quest. I'm guessing, in a real scenario, you say yes right then or there or you get killed right then and there. No organized group would ever tell you about a high-level assasination and just let you wander free with the knowledge.

Exactly. Keep this as it is, bitch. Game is shaping up really nicely.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Roqua said:
The army quest makes sense, a lot more sense than being allowed to have time to think the order over. I would have to say option 3 is a little weak, refusing to follow an order would result in a lot more punishment than a little nap.
That's your first IG quest and you are not a soldier yet, but a potential recruit. If you die, it's not a big loss and your mission certainly doesn't require much training and skills. When you come back, you'll be properly initiated, trained, and equipped. You'll have an option to decline this honor, and it will be explained to you that it would be the only "no" you'll be allowed to say from now on.

My point exactly.

Quest looks great, and my only complaint about anything would be the omnipotent third person knowledge of the description of the Carrinas.
So, what the descriptions should be like. I think that Snatch had the best descriptions ever (sadly I lack the writing skills to come close), but they were also very revealing and omnipotent. It was a great way to introduce the characters though:

That's Doug The Head. Everybody knows Doug The Head.
If it's stones and it's stolen, he's the man to speak to.
Pretends he's Jewish.
Wishes he was Jewish.
Even tells his family they're Jewish...
... but he's about as Jewish as he is a fucking monkey.
He thinks it's good for business. And in the diamond business...
...it is good for business.

Boris The Blade, or Boris The Bullet-Dodger.
Bent as the Soviet sickle and hard as the hammer that crosses it.
Apparently, it's just impossible to kill the bastard.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
GhanBuriGhan said:
We have timed quests and we have day/night "scenes". Look at the combat screen in the RPG Vault article.
http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/749/749013p1.html

Timed quests are quests that will be automatically resolved once you leave the location. For example, the "save the kidnapped noble" quest (I used it as an example before). You are asked to help House Daratan to rescue a kidnapped noble. Needless to say, it's not something that can wait 3 months. So, as long as you are in Teron, which includes its satellite locations (small places nearby), there is no pressure to solve this quest. Once you leave Teron and go adventuring, the quest will be solved automatically. The default outcome is the town guards attacked the raiders camp, killed 'em all, but the noble was killed during the battle.

That's not a timed quest in my book, since its autoresolution is solely triggered by a player action. Can't have timed quest without an ingame timescale. But this is not all that important for your game, I think. Although your way would not have been my preference.

Yes and no. I *shouldn't* decide for you, but since I was the one who designed every quest and outcome, the gameplay will reflect my ideas on what fun is and isn't. For example, I think that text-adventures are fun, which is why they are in the game. I think that killing monsters for XP and loot isn't fun, so guess what, there are 4 monsters in AoD, and they all talk. Crazy, eh?
Of course the game will reflect your preferences and ideas of fun, thats no more than how it should be. I was talking about a very specific situation within a quest however, where you decide for me that it would be boring to walk from A to B in that moment, when at other times I am totally free to walk from A and B and back (running in circles around C and D if I so please). Why do you want to decide that for me if you don't have to?

And anyway, if you think walking around locations is not fun, shouldn't you rather strive to make it more fun than beaming me around?

Take a look at the screens. The guild set everything up. Your task is to shoot the guy through the hole, using a crossbow. He wears armor, so steel (third best) AP bolts are provided. You are the trigger man in this particular quest, nothing else. Other options don't make any sense. The only logical choice here is either kill the target or your partner. This is the most important choice in this quest.
Fine, there always will be limits to the number of choices you can provide, that is acceptable. But does it have to be made so blatantly obvious to the player by transporting him to the target where there is only those two choices? Why can't the player snoop and ask around for some time to reach the same conclusion? Why can't he decide he'd prefer to use a poinoned bolt instead of the guild provided one (just to be extra careful, man!)

I was in the army once. Mostly I was told to do very specific (often stupid) things and nobody was interested in how I imagined my character's actions. Bastards!
If your game makes me feel like I'm in the army I will want my money back.

Logical is the key word here. As for the info gathering, give me an example. What are the questions and what are the answers that would provide a basis for the decision?
Who is the target, why is he wanted dead? What do non guild people think of him? Is he rich, influential, to which faction does he belong? What are the goals and the power of that faction? Who is my partner, is he someone I like or hate? Is he influential? How much of a stir will this killing cause, how good are the guards, do I need to plan to leave town? If so, is there business I should take care of first? Can I establish an alibi?

For you maybe this is all clear, and some of this may be over the top, but maybe you get why the telport might frustrate me. I want to interact with a world, not perform clearcut tasks, I go play shooters for that. As an RPG player I might really want to research these things before I decide to do or not do the hit. Just my 0.02.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom