Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I just started Baldur's Gate 2...

Pastel

Scholar
Jaime Lannister said:
Dicksmoker said:
hiver said:
What was so bad about it anyway?
What did you see? A few sentences altogether?

Play more!

Well okay...the conversation with Minsc in particular.

BG2 is not for people who want all of their games to be "dark and gritty".
Yeah because games can be either juvenile grimdark or juvenile humorparody. Go fuck yourself.

Krash

Arcane
I found most of BG 2 well written, in a light hearted way. It's my most replayed RPG. If only it had more C&C...

opium fiend said:
Well, OP is right about Minsc. It's unbelievable how bad his dialogues are. Just send him naked into a host of mephits and the writing improves instantly.

Learn to differentiate between bad writing and things you don't like

Ebonsword

Arcane
hiver said:
What?? Are you trying to make me mad !?
Graaaghh...raaaarrrgh!! :)

Thats his best dialogue in the game. That and later battle cries.
Anyway, even if berserkers with giant space hamsters in their... pockets, yeah... are not your thing you need to play more.

Be aware that starting dungeon is the most boring part of the game but everyone must go through it at least once and you better be playing on hard core rules!

I agree that the first dungeon is the game's low point.

But if the OP doesn't like Minsc's dialogue, I shudder to think how he'll react when Lilarcor shows up. :shock:

felicity

Scholar
BG2 NPCs are among the best I have seen, they are all so charming in their own way. The conversations in the game are smooth, often executed in a back and forth manner between PC and NPC, unlike most of the recent RPGs' NPCs which feel like information providers and generally less engaging. I admire the efforts they put into dialogs.

I guess many codexors prefer those intellectual subtle character that like to discuss philosophical problem with PC. This is not my favorite I have to admit, I think it's a very bad way to depict a character's personality and thoughts. I'd rather the character "live it out" her beliefs, by actions, comments on events or just casual banters. I think that's why BG2 feels so right to me. It's true that BG2 NPCs are over-done, they are dramatic, but that sets the tone, the NPCs fulfill the job perfectly. IMO there's no better or worse, whether a more realistic approach or almost comic book feel like BG2, it's just that a preference. Heck drama are... dramatic but they're still good art.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Vaarna_Aarne said:
hiver said:
And it has the best voiced villain in history of gaming.
Supreme.
Last time I checked, Kain and the Elder God weren't in BG2...
"Go now. Play out your pitiful rebellion, and take your place among the destroyed, the used, and the damned. But know this – you are mine for eternity. You have always been, and will always be, my soul reaver." Tony Jay was amazing.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Hümmelgümpf said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
hiver said:
Supreme.
Last time I checked, Kain and the Elder God weren't in BG2...
"Go now. Play out your pitiful rebellion, and take your place among the destroyed, the used, and the damned. But know this – you are mine for eternity. You have always been, and will always be, my soul reaver." Tony Jay was amazing.
As were all the rest. LoK series easily has the best voice-acting among all games, supplemented with top notch writing.

made

Arcane
Ditch Minsc, Jaheira, Aeri, get Viconia, Edwin, the evil dwarf - much less annoying that way. Also don't use Liracor. Generally try to ignore the annoying parts (there's quite a few) and enjoy what's left. Plenty to explore and see, it's not all bad.

mondblut

Arcane
Dicksmoker said:
...and the dialogue is fucking horrible. It's worse than NWN and Kotor. Since it is basically considered Bioware's best game here at the Codex, I figured that the writing would be alright. (Hmm it must be the gameplay that everyone praises.)

Gameplay is semi-decent. IE combat smokes dick of course, but at least BG2 is the most massive and advanced implementation of 2e AD&D, with all those uberspells and uberfeats up to 20th or higher level.

As for writing, who cares? We're playing a game here, not reading a book.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Silly twitchy Infinity Engine games.

Atleast Icewind Dale was closer to being RPG proper.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I never could get the hatred for the starter dungeon. Sure it gets old when you replay it too much, but the first time... Having imported my character from BG1 (good), losing all my equipment (frustrating, but in a good way), meeting some of my former companions (granted, Imoen, Minsc and Jaheira wouldn't have been my first choice, but still...) and equiping myself with fresh sub-par loot to fight my way out of this strange place full of weird creatures, was very enjoyable.

As for the topic subject, dialogue, it's clearly not one the game's strong points, but it never got in the way of my enjoyment either.

Radisshu

Prophet
Krash said:
I found most of BG 2 well written, in a light hearted way. It's my most replayed RPG. If only it had more C&C...

There's lots of C&C in BG2, more than people realise; especially in the party members' side quests. It's sadly absent from the main quest, though. While there ARE choices they usually lead to pretty much the same result.

Elric

Novice
Ebonsword said:
But if the OP doesn't like Minsc's dialogue, I shudder to think how he'll react when Lilarcor shows up. :shock:
Easy solution: ditch Minsc, take Keldorn. IIRC Keldorn's less annoying than Minsc, and you get a +5 Paladin-only sword somewhere pretty early in the game, so you can avoid using Lilarcor entirely.

felicity said:
BG2 NPCs are among the best I have seen, they are all so charming in their own way. The conversations in the game are smooth, often executed in a back and forth manner between PC and NPC, unlike most of the recent RPGs' NPCs which feel like information providers and generally less engaging. I admire the efforts they put into dialogs.

I guess many codexors prefer those intellectual subtle character that like to discuss philosophical problem with PC. This is not my favorite I have to admit, I think it's a very bad way to depict a character's personality and thoughts. I'd rather the character "live it out" her beliefs, by actions, comments on events or just casual banters. I think that's why BG2 feels so right to me. It's true that BG2 NPCs are over-done, they are dramatic, but that sets the tone, the NPCs fulfill the job perfectly. IMO there's no better or worse, whether a more realistic approach or almost comic book feel like BG2, it's just that a preference. Heck drama are... dramatic but they're still good art.
Joking characters can be well-written too. The casual, lighthearted nature of NPCs shouldn't excuse crappy writing (though I don't think BG2's writing is THAT bad compared to most RPGs in recent years). Morte and Nordom are better examples of joking, lighthearted characters that are actually well-written.

Now that I think about it, Minsc being overdone is probably just a classic case of Bioware recycling syndrome.

hiver

Well i certainly hated Keldorn more then any other NPC in the game. (except Anomen natually he is in the league of its own)
Minsc is still one of my favorite characters, especially when wielding Lillarcor.

"Go for the eyes booo - kill, kill, kill, AaaaRRgghhh! Squeeek!!" lunatic combo is awesome.

D&D later rules and implementations of them (except TOEE) suck dwarf ass compared to BG2 rules set.

Overall quality of NPcs is excellent compared to newer games and dialogue is very good considering this wasnt meant to be a deep philosophical game.
If you dont like any particular NPC you can ditch them or find fun ways of killing them. Or you can even make your own party completely.

felicity said:
I'd rather the character "live it out" her beliefs, by actions, comments on events or just casual banters. I think that's why BG2 feels so right to me. It's true that BG2 NPCs are over-done, they are dramatic, but that sets the tone, the NPCs fulfill the job perfectly.
Agreed.

Relayer71

Liturgist
First of all, KOTOR's dialogue wasn't bad, it was not spectacular but it was definitely above average.

NWN's was mediocre. It wasn't good but it wasn't exactly horrible either - only the story/pacing/gameplay/prettymuchthewholegame was.

But I don't recall BG 2 being terrible in the dialogue department. It was definitely competent. Fucking brilliant compared to Oblivion.

Relayer71

Liturgist
Vaarna_Aarne said:
hiver said:
Supreme.
Last time I checked, Kain [wasn't] in BG2...

If by Kain you mean of the Legacy Of Kain/Blood Omen then , exactly.
Hope you're not talking about the Command & Conquer guy, lolz.

And Irenicus' voice acting is horrible. The guy sounds like a bored theatre actor.

Cimmerian Nights

Liturgist
Korgan, Edwin and Vicky are the way to go if you think the game is too lighthearted, they really neutralize that aspect. Plus all 3 of them are the best NPCs for their class.

Minsc, Jaheira, Aerie, Nalia, they are not even options they are so annoying.

But that's the point isn't it?
Jaheira is supposed to be a stern, judgemental cunt.
Minsc is supposed to be a retard.
Nalia is supposed to be a aloof, misguided bleeding heart.
And Aerie, I don't ever use her, you have to be some kind of fag if she stays in your party the moment you step foot out of the circus tent.

Repetitive jokes, thy name is Jan Jansen. Usefull NPC but quirky and offbeat quickly turns into annoying and redundant.

aries202

Erudite
If you don't like Minsc, you don't have to take with you. Minsch's witch, Dynaheir, is dead? and I think a part of his behavour in BG2 is explained by the he's gone insane? or something like this, since he left his love? Dynaheir.

Just switch any members of the party out you don't like. And maybe you should try an all evil party...

kenney bounces

Liturgist
Wha? Bad dialogues in BG2? You must have really high standards cause i thought it was pretty damn good.

Unless of course you installed that mod which skips most of the intro dialogue and cuts it extremely short BECAUSE it had long talking descriptive dialogues.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
aries202 said:
And maybe you should try an all evil party...

Which is unfortunately impossible. You can't gather a total of 5 party members that won't be whining about you being bad.

Cimmerian Nights said:
And Aerie, I don't ever use her, you have to be some kind of fag if she stays in your party the moment you step foot out of the circus tent.

You gotta be out of your fucking mind. Aerie is the most useful npc in the game, thanks to her wizard/cleric multiclass.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Hümmelgümpf said:
Relayer71 said:
First of all, KOTOR's dialogue wasn't bad, it was not spectacular but it was definitely above average.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV15y82AlFg
Top-notch writing.

Was that supposed to be sarcastic?

If so, I give KOTOR a lot of credit just for giving us HK-47--awesome character with hilarious dialogue.

*Waits patiently for the first "HK-47 sucks!" post*

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom