Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How would you rate Pillars of Eternity?

How many doritos/10 PoE deserve?

• 10 (A modern classic, you did it Obsidian!)

Votes: 42 10.5%
  • 9 (Great game, although it has some minor problems.)

Votes: 102 25.4%
  • 8 (Good job Obsidian, but it is not as good as I hoped.)

Votes: 75 18.7%
  • 7 (Nice game, but nothing spectacular.)

Votes: 46 11.5%
  • 6 (Ehh, it's above average, but it is a disappointment.)

Votes: 50 12.5%
  • 5 (Meh, it is mediocre.)

Votes: 23 5.7%
  • 4 (The game has some good stuff, but tons of bad.)

Votes: 21 5.2%
  • 3 (Shamefur dispray Obsidian, the game is awful.)

Votes: 9 2.2%
  • 2 (The game is one of the worst cRPGs in recent years.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 (Game is garbage on every front.)

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Fucking rating systems, what mainstream shit is this? (Kingcomrade)

Votes: 27 6.7%

• Total voters

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey! He's allowed to have 1-10 mean different from what other people mean 1-10, as long as he defines them. That's why people you hear stuff sometimes like "rate this from 1-5, 1 being the best, 5 being the worst, and 3 being average".

Mortmal

Arcane
9/10 , Great atmosphere, this is the infinity engine games again and close enough of the Baldur's gate 3 we were awaiting for since so many years. Some things could be better like combat its either ,too easy or too hard, no middleground. I was a bit annoyed by those shades and some wilderness encounters stomping the party so quickly in a few seconds .
In overall thats still a beautiful game with great story, the kind of game you cant stop playing and according my steam friendlist i am not the only one who cant stop, that make ime forget the minor flaws. I pledged and bought the expansion too, that was money well spent. This is undoubtly the rpg of the year 2015 i dont think anyone will do better although we may have more excellent release like Serpent in staglans, maybe underrrail and age of decadence.

I hope we will soon hear about them and their next project after a well deserved holiday.I am ready to preorder POE 2 .

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
I picked 10- but by no means is this a perfect game. The wording though, is how I feel. "Good job. You did it",. A modern masterpiece" , "Instant classic".

Game is great. best game in years.

I went in blind, have avoided spoilers and have yet to finish. Its pretty amazing . This is what I want from gaming- The general "feel"of this game is very close to the "feel" I get in tabletop. I wish it had turn based combat, hate RT:WP and have small shit I could nitpick. Overall though- Game is amazing.

I'm very pleased and havnt been this exited about a game or have been this lost in a game as I have in a decade.

Its a hit. A major hit. They nailed it.

Hope there's more to come from these guys. Hope (and think) this is the start of a trend . D:OS, Wasteland 2, shadowrun were the start but this title clinches it- These games are back, will be made with care and quality and are here to stay.

Last edited:

funkadelik

Arcane
I bought and installed PoE but I am afraid to play it. How can I be a curmudgeon and call everything shit if it is proven untrue.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I love the game.. There are a few huge issues that are really taking the fun out of it.. but I love these type of games ALOT so I almost give them a pass.. I don't even care that it is RTwP, I think it works for the BG / IWD type games and I get my TB fix from Shadow Run already..

I really hope if they do a sequel they bring things closer to EE.. they had their fun with experimenting and it didn't work out in some ways.. Please Obsidian can we stop getting fancy with the design and just do a modernized EE game.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
-
-they have made all the classes pretty interesting. So far I'd say that the Wizard is the least interesting choice of the caster classes which is rather ironic

How come? I thought Wizards have the greatest variety in spell type, while Druids have attack/buff/heal, Clerics Heal/buff, Wizards Utility/Attack/Buff

How did they fuck it up? And isn't Grimoire Slam or the Bast ability any fun? (I can't play this until the 1st )

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Gonna have to finish and probably start a new game on Hard before I can judge it properly. So far, I have a some issues, but overall I'm loving it. Haven't been sucked into a game like this since the first Dark Souls.

The game really shines for me in the dungeon crawling and the companion dialogues. It's top shelf in those areas imo. On the other hand some of the minor sidequests are not riveting, but they aren't bad either. The main story is starting to get bretty good in Act 3, but I'm hoping it will get even better by the end of the game.

Shadenuat

Arcane
At first I thought 9/10, then 6/10, chapter 3 picked up and there's still stuff to explore though, so now I'm not sure what to think about the game. I like just doing bounties and mega dungeon cause it's more challenging than main plot. I am waiting for something new.

There's really not a lot of reactivity in the game. What little I find pleases me but I am constantly hoping for something grand.

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
It makes me an asshole to vote 18 hours in, but so far I'd give it an 8/10.
- Writing is grounded (which is good) but it's also needlessly purple - almost Gygaxian in its excess - and a little 'forced.'
- The companions I've picked up are pretty great, but I keep waiting for them to start bickering or assert themselves more, but whatever.
- After playing 35+ hours with the beta months ago and then mostly walking away, the combat is a lot more manageable and even fun, but the engagement system really does sort of create a static battlefield. Hard mode feels about like core rules Baldurs Gate - just hard enough that it keeps me on my toes about 30% of the fights I'm getting into.

With a little bit more polish on the combat system (engagement and density of particle effects specifically) I'd probably give the game a 9. Same goes if the prose had gotten another editing pass. If both had happened it would be the best RPG I've played in the past 15 years. Either way, I'm enjoying the hell out of it and I'm glad I backed it.

9/10. Would be 10/10 if the story gripped me more but through the whole game it never felt personally moving and dragged on with too much random story memories coming out of nowhere. Definitely like it better than BG 1&2. Absolute instant classic. Way better than all AAA RPGs I've played other than FO:NV (maybe just as good, as PoE has funner replayability for me just on personal taste).

KK1001

Arbiter
Everything feels manufactured.

The world isn't compelling. The writing is okay, I suppose. The combat is as tedious as often as it is fun. Companions aren't very memorable.

It's sad that we'll never see what this game would have looked like with a real budget ($10 to $20 million) and with Avellone designing the world and narrative. Might have been good.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
-
-they have made all the classes pretty interesting. So far I'd say that the Wizard is the least interesting choice of the caster classes which is rather ironic

How come? I thought Wizards have the greatest variety in spell type, while Druids have attack/buff/heal, Clerics Heal/buff, Wizards Utility/Attack/Buff

How did they fuck it up? And isn't Grimoire Slam or the Bast ability any fun? (I can't play this until the 1st )

By least interesting I don't mean that they are bad or lack variety. I mean that the Wizards are more or less the exact same as the D&D counterparts whereas everyone else got a bunch of new fun shit to play around with. Druids have lots of utility, debuffing, their healing becomes very good when they get the moonwel spelll and their damage spells are (so)far better than what the Wizard has imo.
The Priest have some offensive capabilities as well as having great buffs, heals and utility spells. In fact I'd say that the Priest has one of the best "offensive" spells since it hits everyone at a cone and does damage to enemies and heals your own guys. It's not a little bit of both either. It does a lot of damage and a lot of healing, enough to be relied on completely for healing. Iconic Projection is crazy, and it's only a 2nd level spell to boot.
The chanter is also so much better than the D&D Bard. His passive chants make the Chanter amazingly flexible at deciding what role you want him to have in your party. You can stick a gun / bow for the Chanter and he'll do amazing shit with it AND buff your other ranged characters so that they reload and shoot faster. Dat DPS, let me tell you. Or you can give the Chanter the heaviest armor and weapons and throw him in the melee where he can do some horrible shit to the enemy with his chanting. The Chanter isn't penalized nearly as much as the other caster classes are by heavier equipment since he doesn't cast spells constantly. He has his chanting which is a passive effect and constantly on the works.
I've yet to try out the Cipher so I cannot comment on this one.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Too early to say, I doubt anyone who jumped on release has finished it already. I.e., I was very disappointed about the combat encounters on Act 1, but they improve a lot in Act 2, so trying to rate a game mid-way is pointless.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
It'll be interesting to see how the votes fall in December, once the honeymoon is over and other releases are out. Especially if someone other than J_C makes the poll. (His texts were above average but a disappointment). My guess? We'll end up with a lot of 6's and 7's from people who claim they never really meant it was 11/10 anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom