Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age How to Enjoy Dragon Age: Origins

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Oh, you actually installed all the tweaks in Dain's Fixes. You should really only install the tweaks you want.

I just ran the .dazip, I'm not used to modding DA:O at all. But I mean if there are other tweaks I don't want, it should be as easy as removing the folders from Override, no?

Absinthe

Arcane
Yes. I'm not sure if you'll need to start a new playthrough or not though. It's possible for some tweaks to get persisted into your savefiles.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Well, I think I bricked my game permanently :D

Dragon Age has to be one of the easiest games to mod ever.

I've modded basically every moddable game I've played, including Bethesda games running hundreds of mods, and besides one niche scenario on an open world game with multiple conflicting mods which I kind of knew was asking for trouble, this is the first time after modding dozens and dozens of games I've ever permanently bricked a save just by installing one wrong mod at the wrong time.

Basically, it seems Slinks S3 Savage conflicts with Unlock All Specializations (a conflict that isn't mentioned in documentation, only in a single post in the forum thread). Now half of the enemies in my game die in one hit.

I've removed the offending mod of course, but the problem seems to be permanent - and not just with saves after the mod, but with the whole character.

Easy is relative - this has easily been my most bothersome modding experience ever, lol.

Oh well, it was fun revisiting Origins while it lasted. The Slinks mod was p. good tbh, sure the difficulty was all over the place and the Diablo style loot doesn't fit the game, but it added a much-needed jump in difficulty for a game that's usually too easy. Shame the playthrough has to end but I was way too far in to start over, so it's done unless I stumble on a solution.

Last edited:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Basically, it seems Slinks S3 Savage conflicts with Unlock All Specializations (a conflict that isn't mentioned in documentation, only in a single post in the forum thread). Now half of the enemies in my game die in one hit.

I've removed the offending mod of course, but the problem seems to be permanent - and not just with saves after the mod, but with the whole character.
From the description page of Unlock All Specializations:

After you've loaded a save, your profile is immediately updated and you can safely remove the mod. Please remove the mod from your override folder after your profile has been updated to prevent event manager overload.

This is what happens when you don't read.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

From the description page of Unlock All Specializations:

After you've loaded a save, your profile is immediately updated and you can safely remove the mod. Please remove the mod from your override folder after your profile has been updated to prevent event manager overload.

This is what happens when you don't read.

No. Rather the above is what happens when you don’t read the post you’re responding to. I did exactly that.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
No. Rather the above is what happens when you don’t read the post you’re responding to. I did exactly that.
Huh. What I did when I saw that part of the description was make a mock character to quickly install and remove the mod. I prefer keeping safe when playing heavily modded games.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Huh. What I did when I saw that part of the description was make a mock character to quickly install and remove the mod. I prefer keeping safe when playing heavily modded games.

Games where you can’t install a mod without making a mock character generally don’t go into my “easiest games to mod ever” bucket, though lesson learned for future DA:O playthroughs I suppose. I must admit I read that part as “remove the mod instantly after updating” and since it was worded so callously I didn’t even consider something could brick the save if I followed the instructions.

Unfortunately, I doubt there is a fix since the problem seems to be written into not just the save but the character.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Always back up your saves before modding. I can't remember how large DA:O is but there have been times in other games that I even went as far as backing up the entire main folder.

I have tons of backup saves. The issue here is precisely that it didn’t just brick the save but the entire profile :)

Obviously I should have backed up the entire folder, but hindsight is 20/20. Also I’m not sure it would have helped, because the problem didn’t occur until hours later (since it doesn’t happen with all enemies), so I might have removed the safetyfolder by then.

Obviously I should have backed up the entire folder, but hindsight is 20/20.

Yeah, understandable. I do a lot of mod making on KotOR, so I eventually decided to just keep a separate clean install backup to do testing with. Guessing you're just looking to play the game rather than all that for DA:O.

I forgot DA:O does the profile thing.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Well, I fixed it, sortta. VERY sortta. By shuffling files around and rolling back some saves (no idea which one ultimately worked) I've reduced the problem to dragons. So now, everything (seemingly) works as it should. Except specifically dragons (so Flemeth, High Dragon), which are still one-shot. I swear modding issues are always the weirdest lol

Frozen

Arcane
Origins is a great game. It has good atmosphere. Don't know what OP is smoking. Combat is descent on hard even if a bit easy later (like every RPG)

Worst thing about it is that you need to mod the shit out of it and then it looks descent plus story is generic BioWare (while they were good)

P4anc4ke

Barely Literate
Well, I fixed it, sortta. VERY sortta. By shuffling files around and rolling back some saves (no idea which one ultimately worked) I've reduced the problem to dragons. So now, everything (seemingly) works as it should. Except specifically dragons (so Flemeth, High Dragon), which are still one-shot. I swear modding issues are always the weirdest lol
I have also been using Slinks S3 Savage, had to reinstall the game and added back each mod, one at a time, in order to track down the mod that was incompatible. I eventually solved it and everything worked as it should. I use it in combination with a creature scaling mod from combat tweak, these two work really well togheter because Slinks gives you op gear, and I found out only the extra enemies were a challange, not the vanilla spawns. With the creature scaling mod the difference between the new spawned tougher enemies and the vanilla was mcuh smaller, so they worked great togheter.

Anyway, I have run into the exact same problem, everything works as it should except high dragons. They die in 2-3 hits, which I would assume means they are spawned as level 1? If you or anyone have a solution to this It would be greatly appreciated. It's not a big issue as there are so few fights being affected, but it really takes away the excitement in those situations. Otherwise it is an excellent imo, especially considering I have played this game so much I pretty much know all the scripted spawns from memory.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Taking the DVD the game came on and throwing it into a blazing fire. That's how I enjoy Boring Age Fall Asleep Now.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I have also been using Slinks S3 Savage, had to reinstall the game and added back each mod, one at a time, in order to track down the mod that was incompatible. I eventually solved it and everything worked as it should. I use it in combination with a creature scaling mod from combat tweak, these two work really well togheter because Slinks gives you op gear, and I found out only the extra enemies were a challange, not the vanilla spawns. With the creature scaling mod the difference between the new spawned tougher enemies and the vanilla was mcuh smaller, so they worked great togheter.

Anyway, I have run into the exact same problem, everything works as it should except high dragons. They die in 2-3 hits, which I would assume means they are spawned as level 1? If you or anyone have a solution to this It would be greatly appreciated. It's not a big issue as there are so few fights being affected, but it really takes away the excitement in those situations. Otherwise it is an excellent imo, especially considering I have played this game so much I pretty much know all the scripted spawns from memory.

I never found a solution for the dragons.

P4anc4ke

Barely Literate

Ok, thats unfortunate. I also use Dain's Fixes (not all files from it though), maybe there is something in there that causes a conflict? It is a nightmare to track these things down, and takes time that I don't have atm. If you have finished the game, does it affect the final dragon fight as well? It's really odd that it is just the high dragons that are spawned as level 1, all other bosses work as they should. It might be an issue with the mod itself, but I never saw a comment that mentioned just the high dragons so idk.

What I didn't mention before that could be useful for some is that in order to have a clean game, you might need to remove your entire "Characters" folder (create a backup). Reinstalling the game does not remove the old Characters folder, and those older save files could corrupt your game, even if you have reinstalled it.

croitav

I hate 3D graphics
"How to Enjoy Dragon Age: Origins"
You don't.
It is a fucking abomination that should never exist.
My god 3d gfx + rotatable camera and i should somehow enjoy this piece of trash?

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Just started a replay of this. One of those games you can't play too much for me.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Ok, thats unfortunate. I also use Dain's Fixes (not all files from it though), maybe there is something in there that causes a conflict? It is a nightmare to track these things down, and takes time that I don't have atm. If you have finished the game, does it affect the final dragon fight as well? It's really odd that it is just the high dragons that are spawned as level 1, all other bosses work as they should. It might be an issue with the mod itself, but I never saw a comment that mentioned just the high dragons so idk.

What I didn't mention before that could be useful for some is that in order to have a clean game, you might need to remove your entire "Characters" folder (create a backup). Reinstalling the game does not remove the old Characters folder, and those older save files could corrupt your game, even if you have reinstalled it.

I am 99% sure that my issue was related to the unlock all specializations mod (or whatever it's called). It has issues with slinks.

Silverfish

Arbiter
I'm no expert, but the way I most enjoyed DAO was to play a mage who threw out buffs / debuffs / heals and otherwise ran around trying not to get hit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom