Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age How to Enjoy Dragon Age: Origins

Semiurge

Cipher
I'm no expert, but the way I most enjoyed DAO was to play a mage who threw out buffs / debuffs / heals and otherwise ran around trying not to get hit.

A mage PC provides an automatic godmode because of the AI's limitations. It treats mages as bugs, when they are the class that decides the course of a battle.

Fortunately this easy-mode is balanced by a great variety of spells that adds more replay value to the game.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
So now I've just started taking another look at the 5th in the set of what I consider "middle-period" BioWare - just at the tail end of it, with DAO, before the console/lowest common denominator rot finally set in with ME2 and DA2.

On the minus side, this had even more of the asinine "women warriors" thing that BioWare started really getting into properly with KOTOR. It's bad enough with Sith fashy female soldiers there, but there is nothing more incongruous in a gritty mediaeval fantasy than seeing female guards. Just stop it, please. I remember even I, who might have been considered to have been fairly political correct at the time, felt a bit uncomfortable with the incongruity of female guards (though interestingly, at that point, one wasn't yet slaughtering them wholesale as one does today - they were still more decorative and point-making than seriously there as combatants).

But female mages - well alright. And it has to be said that Morrigan's entrance in the Korcari swamp is as magnificent now as it was then. The voice acting and the character model, and the character herself, are just perfect; if one has been getting into the atmosphere up to that point, stumbling along through the gloomy, dangerous swamp with one's merry band of noobs, it's quite a moment of "presence" - I'd put it on a par with Geralt's conversation with the witches in TW3, with its ability to transport one to another time and place, to have a vague sense in the hindbrain that a fantastical thing is real, there in front of you.

Le sigh. I always reflect at moments like this, and ask myself, is it really too much to want it all? To want a fully cinematic, immersive experience as well as great gameplay? That seemed to be what RPGs were trending towards, were promising in those days, but as we've figured out on many an occasion here, the cinematic experience is easier to deliver to the masses and get a financial result with, so games have forgotten about the richer kind of gameplay and appealed to the LCD and dressup fans. But there are moments in all these BioWare games where the possibility is dangled in front of one, of that perfect combination of total cinematic immersion and absorbing gameplay.

Not that the gameplay in this is that great, but to compensate, it does have the "Tactics" - the AI conditional stuff, which I love in games that have it (Pillows 2 has a great system for it too). I've been using the mod Even More Advanced Tactics, which has an absolute shed-load of stuff, even Boolean shit, and it's been quite absorbing minutely nudging and adjusting the party's behaviour as I go, learning what works and what doesn't (even more, what suits the personality I'm building up for these people in my head but also works). So at the moment I've got it on Hard, and I just let combat run a lot of the time, only taking manual control when things get hairy, as they do about 20% of the time, I'd say. The rest of the time it's watching a cinematic combat experience (while inwardly cheering one's party on) that one might say I'm orchestrating at the AI level. Which is gameplay of a sort, certainly (after all, my guys do have to win the encounter :) ), and compensates for the combat being okayish manually, but a bit dull. I'm looking forward to doing spell combinations with the AI - I never did get into those back in the day, so this is my opportunity to try them properly.

Music in this is amazing of course (especially that mysterious, elegaic campfire theme, which occasionally crops up in other emotionally moving contexts as well), and I always thought the UI was beautiful and refined, in terms of feeling like a "solid" thing.

Following is the Autohotkey I've cobbled together for this. It enables autorun (key g), toggled mouselook (with MB5 also cancellable by RMB) and and toggled highlighting (TAB) as well as cancelling convos and windows with Middle mouse button. As with the one I gave for KOTOR/2, this no doubt has lots of horrendous scurf in it, as it's put together from bits all over the web, so if any Autohotkey mavens happen to see this, I'd appreciate advice on tidying it down to the lean, elegant essentials. But it works very well:-

;======= from https://www.darmazat.be/2020/06/06/dao/ ============

SetTitleMatchMode 2
GroupAdd,DragonAgeGames,ahk_class DragonAge
GroupAdd,DragonAgeGames,ahk_class DragonAge2
#ifWinActive ahk_group DragonAgeGames
#NoEnv
#SingleInstance force
#InstallKeybdHook
#InstallMouseHook
#UseHook, On
#MaxHotKeysPerInterval 1000
#MaxThreadsBuffer on
#KeyHistory 0
#MaxThreads, 100
#MaxThreadsPerHotkey, 2
#Persistent
SetBatchLines, -1
DetectHiddenWindows, On
CoordMode, Mouse, Screen
CoordMode, Pixel, Screen
CoordMode, Tooltip, Screen
SetKeyDelay, 30,50
SetMouseDelay 10
SendMode Input

;============== highlight loot toggle (TAB) ===============

$Tab::
HLvar := !HLVar
Send % "{Tab " . ((HLVar) ? ("down") : ("up")) . "}"

return

;============= autorun (g key) =========================

g::Gosub, MoveToggle

$w::
Send {w down}
While GetKeyState("w","p")
{
}
MoveVar = ; Off
Send {w up}
Return

$s::
MoveVar = ; Off
Send {w up}
Send {s down}
While GetKeyState("s","p")
{
}
Send {s up}
Return

MoveToggle:
MoveVar := !MoveVar
Send % "{w " . ((MoveVar) ? ("down") : ("up")) . "}"
return

;==================================== mouse look toggle mb5 plus rbutton off

$XButton2::
If (Toggle := !Toggle)
Send {RButton Down}
Else
Send {RButton up}
Return

$!XButton2::
if (Toggle)
{
Toggle := !Toggle
}
Send {RButton down}
Return

~RButton::
if (Toggle)
{
Toggle := !Toggle
Send {RButton up}
}
Return

;============================= Mapping Middle Button to Esc for convenience========

MButton::esc

;================= Register c key to "take all" with ft ui mod at 1080p big menus=========

c::
MouseClick, left, 638, 854
return

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I've been heavily modding this, and after some experimentation I think I've settled on 1) a "bed" of one of the more recent AI upscaling sets, which handily replace the old JB3 pack, which was never really very good, just texture sharpening. (There have been some problems with the upscaled sets of which there are a few, but the version of this one linked to by MasterLokito in the Posts tab seems to be good), with 2) Improved Atmosphere (note: beware, it takes a bit of care to set up, RTFM - and add the v6 bugfix as mentioned in the sticky there) as a kind of overall core fixing/improving/armor/weapons mod to tart the game up, but also using the bits of 3) DA Unofficial Remaster that don't clash with Improved Atmosphere (i.e. none of its armor, weapons, faces, scripts, etc. - all of which IA does really well and in a less ghey looking way - but using some of the really nice clutter and environment bits (e.g. books and stuff, trees, what have you),. Game looks very nice now (the developer of IA has a great sense of aesthetics too, some of the armors are very cool and heavy metal, and suit the dark, gritty vibe of Ferelden as it was originally supposed to be, as opposed the dangerhair mess it's become).

All topped off nicely with a tasteful Reshade including RTGI (Pascal Gilcher's amazingly light-on-resources raytracing shader).

Improved Atmosphere is the road less traveled because what seems to be standard for modding DAO is working around Quinn's unviersal fixpack, but that really clashes with Improved Atmosphere too much, so it has to be one or the other (either Quinns and various other popular mods,. or IA, which is a complete self-contained thing, almost an overhaul, except it's not, and it has its own extensive bugfixing, maybe not as comprensive as Quinn's but quite solid). Quinn's is attractive because it was worked on till more recently (2020 iirc) whereas IA stopped development in 2014 after Awakening had come out and all the DLC was finished. But it seems to be stable enough if you just use it as your un-messed-about-with core mod, plus whatever extra non-invasive fairy dust and QOL you might want.

But my great discovery is that what goes really well with IA is the difficulty mod recommended by IA's author, Flash Creatures Rescale. It makes the game much, much more difficult - which perfectly matches the slightly OP gear in IA. I'm finding the combination moderately tough even on just Normal now, which is as it should be. Even on Easy the mobs all con yellow - it's very chunky and satisfying. So it's great as a challenge for getting the AI mod I mentioned in the last post working hard for its keep.

No doubt I'll come to some horrendous buggy impasse at some point, but it's pretty good so far (done about half the game). It's the combination I'd recommend if you want a non-faggoty tarting up of the game anyway.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Improved Atmosphere ads more recolorings of the fugly armor designs. No-one asked for that.

I quite like the aesthetics of the coloring though, it works for me. Everything feels a bit more of a piece with IA, just a bit more "solid" as a virtual world. You get a sense of Ferelden as the gritty (but with fantasy) place I think it was meant to be lore-wise. I think it was intended to be GoT with more magic, and that's more like how it feels with IA.

All topped off nicely with a tasteful Reshade including RTGI (Pascal Gilcher's amazingly light-on-resources raytracing shader).
Screenshots, please.

Bah, I just tried, but the screenshot doesn't pick up Reshade stuff, it just picks up on the game's internal "Frame Buffer Effects" (the internal bloom and dof and that). I then tried to get Steam overlay (which I never use) working, but it just doesn't work with Dragon Age Origins (it has a problem with Origin games generally). I'm sure there's probably some method or some proggie, and if I come across it I'll take some pics.

Hmm, just occurred to me, maybe if I window it, Windows will take a screenshot of the final "raster" image (is that what it's called?). Or I could just assign the internal screenshot taking to a key other than Print Scn and maybe that key will then use Windows' own method. I'll try that later.

razvedchiki

Erudite
is there a mod to make armors/weapons look more natural? i remember comparing them with drakensangs when it came out and despite origins being a newer game they looked bizzare and out of place.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Has it been mentioned that Ferret Boudoin died?. Rip. He helped make some fantastic games.

"Baudoin had a long career in game development and prior to joining Bethesda Softworks he'd had stints at BioWare and Obsidian Entertainment where he held the position of lead designer at both studios. His list of credits include Dragon Age 2, Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening, Dragon Age, Neverwinter Nights 2, and Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords, as well as on the failed Baldur's Gate 3 project (codenamed Jefferson) and Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries when he was employed by Black Isle Studios and Cyberlore respectively".

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/tech...er-ferret-baudoin-has-passed-away/ar-AA138q5I

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I don't know why Origins gets so much shit. Is it a genre defining masterpiece that is the absolute pinnacle of role-playing games? No. Is it a decent and at least enjoyable RPG with serviceable combat and generic story with dragons and orc-like hordes? Yes.
Finally,you can sex up Leliana/Morrigan. Holy shit,is it a masterpiece or what? (Sarcasm)

I don't know why Origins gets so much shit. Is it a genre defining masterpiece that is the absolute pinnacle of role-playing games? No. Is it a decent and at least enjoyable RPG with serviceable combat and generic story with dragons and orc-like hordes? Yes.
Finally,you can sex up Leliana/Morrigan. Holy shit,is it a masterpiece or what? (Sarcasm)

DA doesn't deserve hate. The RPG Codex general prefers poorly executed greatness over superbly executed mediocracy. In memory, mediocracy breeds contempt--which this place is quick to espouse. Dragon Age has several prominent virtues, but they happen to be the ones of secondary importance. The C&C and NPC interaction are exceptional; however, the weak plot, setting, and cast of NPCs makes them much ado about nothing. While I regard it as one of the last CRPGs with true mage supremacy, magic was still a step down from earlier BioWare games. What's left of combat and character building are shallow MMO-lite cooldown pass times. Combat isn't horrid, just entirely forgettable. Now put that forgettable combat in dull areas with little to exlpore. This is why Deep Roads portion are so heavily criticized as tiresome. For emotionally driven storyfags, this game is a marvel. For more prestigious RPG tastes, it's just a decent game.

wishbonetail

Learned

DA doesn't deserve hate. The RPG Codex general prefers poorly executed greatness over superbly executed mediocracy. In memory, mediocracy breeds contempt--which this place is quick to espouse. Dragon Age has several prominent virtues, but they happen to be the ones of secondary importance. The C&C and NPC interaction are exceptional; however, the weak plot, setting, and cast of NPCs makes them much ado about nothing. While I regard it as one of the last CRPGs with true mage supremacy, magic was still a step down from earlier BioWare games. What's left of combat and character building are shallow MMO-lite cooldown pass times. Combat isn't horrid, just entirely forgettable. Now put that forgettable combat in dull areas with little to exlpore. This is why Deep Roads portion are so heavily criticized as tiresome. For emotionally driven storyfags, this game is a marvel. For more prestigious RPG tastes, it's just a decent game.
Let's see:
Cooldowns
Level scaling
Linear corridor level design which is a continued retardation from Kotor
No simulation aspects:
no day night cycle (was in BG),
no weather effects (was in BG)
No stealth, pickpocketing (was in BG)
You cannot attack NPS, no guards reaction to anything (was in BG)
You cannot go indoors unless it's a quest area (could in BG)
Well, yeah, as a supposed successor to BG, Dao is pretty underwhelming.

Delterius

Arcane

you forgot to add the hallowed words

rpg codex goty 2009

Sykar

Arcane
Some mods went under the skin. Literally:
dragon-age-metagame-items.jpg

:troll:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I swear to God the Dalish can be so annoying in this game.
"Oh no,those evil humans took our lands where we lived in harmony for centuries!"
Sound familiar?
DLM - Dalish Lives Matter.

thesecret1

Arcane
I swear to God the Dalish can be so annoying in this game.
"Oh no,those evil humans took our lands where we lived in harmony for centuries!"
Sound familiar?
DLM - Dalish Lives Matter.
Just slay the gypsy elves wherever you meet them. The game is neat in that there's always a choice present to just kill the elves and make everyone else happy

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Oh really?
That's...pretty nice.
The dwarves are much better,thankfully. But that is because dwarves are awesome in general.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom