Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How should WoW end? How should any MMO end?

Cambios

Scholar
There was a really thought provoking article on WOW.com recently:

Breakfast Topic: How should WoW end?

A satisfactory end and a party would be a lot of fun, but I would like to see a darker conclusion to all of our efforts. What if we become so powerful, that we are like titans ourselves? The ensuing battle is one glorious free-for-all resulting in a cataclysmic event ending all life in Azeroth as we know it. Boom! Game over.

The article makes an interesting comparison to possible WoW endings, and the way Tabula Rasa Ended.

The End of Tabula Rasa - Server Shutdown Event

Anyway... something to think about.

How should WoW end? How should MMOs end in general?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
bunniesdoscreambymister.jpg

Rosh

Erudite
They level of effort put in by the Tabula Rasa developers in the final months of the game was impressive.

Too bad they didn't do shit throughout the rest of the development but keep talking about PAUs and redesigning game mechanics over and over (like the crafting system), instead of releasing more end game content. Too bad the PAUs were only playable for about less than a month and in a select zone, so it was really just a load of overhyped horseshit. I guess that's what happens when your creative lead/bossman is sent away for a while by NCSoft as a publicity stunt* and the remaining retards don't know what the fuck to do.

How should WoW end? Tom "Evocare/Kalgan/Corky" Chilton, the Lead Moron at Blizzard (also memorable for dicking UO into the ground), trips over the power cord to the server racks and the retarded support at Blizzard can't figure out how to get the servers back up. Blizzard comes up with one of their patented lame excuses and the subscriber base flocks to World of Warcraft II: Ghost without question because most of their subscriber base are a bunch of cattle.

Already their servers are having critical outages in a couple of battlegroups, in particular one where it has been down more often than up in the last three weeks, to the point where their support forum was clogged and their admins were wholesale nuking threads.

I love to watch incompetence in action, as the only thing I care to do in regards to WoW is watch a bunch of overpaid amateurs who take development decisions from Crack Division flounder around without a clue.

In the words of George Carlin:

They say you're rubbernecking! They say you're blocking traffic! Never mind that shit!
I wanna take a look!
I'm never too busy that I can't stop to enjoy someone else's suffering!

* - So they could later fire him and say he voluntarily left, which is the topic of a lawsuit going on still, I believe.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Rosh said:
In the words of George Carlin:

They say you're rubbernecking! They say you're blocking traffic! Never mind that shit!
I wanna take a look!
I'm never too busy that I can't stop to enjoy someone else's suffering!
Amen.

Rosh

Erudite
Yes, Rosh has met The Great One, back in the 80s.

That was a hilarious conversation. He was probably my main inspiration for spotting stupid shit and pointing it out, though I admit I will never be as funny as him.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Rosh said:
Yes, Rosh has met The Great One, back in the 80s.

That was a hilarious conversation.
You lucky son-of-a-bitch. :shock:

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
Hard to say.

The list of major enemies is growing shorter, but there are still big baddies out there that are still unmentioned or unexplored-the Rest of the Old Gods, for one, and in the Arcatraz Harbinger Sykriss mentions another force...

It is a small matter to control the mind of the weak... for I bear allegiance to powers untouched by time, unmoved by fate. No force on this world or beyond harbors the strength to bend our knee... not even the mighty Legion!

The fact that this force is supposed to be even badder than the Burning Leigon is cause for interest, unless he is just reffering to the Old Gods. But even if he is, the only Old Gods currently known of are on Azeroth, so that would either mean there's a new force in the Universe thats worse than the most feared badasses in town, or one partcular force holds more ground than previousy thought.

Data4

Arcane
It should end with a memorial to all the relationships that failed due in part to the game. When I was really into it a few years ago, I knew six married couples who were a part of the guild I was in. ALL of them have since split up due to game drama. Of course, you can't blame Blizzard more than the people involved, but shit... I have to wonder how many more situations like that have happened in the life of the game. For that matter, ANY MMO. I'm sure a few took place with ties to EQ as well.

Slenkar speaketh truth.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
This is like blaming drugs when a drug addict does shit he shouldn't be doing. In reality, you should be blaming the mediocrity and weakness of his character. Gaz chambers are the only solution

Data4

Arcane
Data4 said:
It should end with a memorial to all the relationships that failed due in part to the game. When I was really into it a few years ago, I knew six married couples who were a part of the guild I was in. ALL of them have since split up due to game drama. Of course, you can't blame Blizzard more than the people involved, but shit... I have to wonder how many more situations like that have happened in the life of the game. For that matter, ANY MMO. I'm sure a few took place with ties to EQ as well.

Slenkar speaketh truth.

Serious_Business said:
This is like blaming drugs when a drug addict does shit he shouldn't be doing. In reality, you should be blaming the mediocrity and weakness of his character. Gaz chambers are the only solution

Illiteracy is Serious_Business.

DaveO

Erudite
In bold Elite Caps, WoW should end with GET A LIFE! Of course, the players are so zombified they'll think it's some sort of code. :roll:

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
DaveO said:
In bold Elite Caps, WoW should end with GET A LIFE! Of course, the players are so zombified they'll think it's some sort of code. :roll:
WoW is acutally pretty casual friendly.

Threre are people who maintain this "Life" and still manage to Lead Raiding Guilds.

Rosh

Erudite
Ahzaruuk said:
Hard to say.

The list of major enemies is growing shorter, but there are still big baddies out there that are still unmentioned or unexplored-the Rest of the Old Gods, for one, and in the Arcatraz Harbinger Sykriss mentions another force...

The fact that this force is supposed to be even badder than the Burning Leigon is cause for interest, unless he is just reffering to the Old Gods. But even if he is, the only Old Gods currently known of are on Azeroth, so that would either mean there's a new force in the Universe thats worse than the most feared badasses in town, or one partcular force holds more ground than previousy thought.

Unfortunately, any new content that Blizzard works for over a year on - will still be easily beaten within a couple of months after it is released. That is disregarding Blizzard's shitty server architecture and state of code causing severe issues.

And the content is real shit, too. You just go from boss to boss, figuring out and beating their little gimmick, collect up a couple of pieces of RNG loot all while hoping it gives you what you need instead of dropping the same shit for six months (and certain items only drop from a certain boss, so if what you want doesn't drop one week -see next point), and then farm the fuck out of the same bosses and same content week after week for months on end until you are allowed to progress to the next set of bosses - assuming Blizzard's slow asses have released more content by that time.

There is no real difficulty anymore aside from the "Hard Mode" crap they added in, which is easily overcome once you figure out the different gimmick they added for that mode, and if you've farmed the fuck out of the instance, "hard mode" means dick.

How fucking BORING is that shit?

No, Farm of Factioncrap is MORON friendly. Their recent dumbing down of content has led to a massive number of idiots and facerollers that get carried and are really useless. The sad thing is when 25 facerollers can get through the "new" Naxx, which is NOTHING compared to the old one.

Data4

Arcane
Eh, I play MMOs the same now. Solo until you can't solo any more then /quit. Why play MMOs at all then? Because there is no single-player RPG out there with enough content to keep me playing for months on end. As long as you're not looking for some deep Fallout RPG experience, the levelling up can be entertaining at least. Fuck endgame. Endgame is the very definition of insanity-- Doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result.

Rosh

Erudite
Data4 said:
Eh, I play MMOs the same now. Solo until you can't solo any more then /quit. Why play MMOs at all then? Because there is no single-player RPG out there with enough content to keep me playing for months on end. As long as you're not looking for some deep Fallout RPG experience, the levelling up can be entertaining at least. Fuck endgame. Endgame is the very definition of insanity-- Doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result.

In which case, I'd rather play Daggerfall again or try another way of playing through a game, and do. MMOs are simply a way to keep stringing you along to keep you paying to play for an indefinite amount of time, later becoming useless after the game is gone. At least you can go back and replay a single player game, while the MMO often goes to shit for almost five times the price a year on top of the original game purchase. I'm just glad my copy of TR was free so when NCSoft dicked it over it wasn't a total waste.

In an ideal market, I'd rather use that money for another few games to add to my library than reward a developer's lazy efforts, in particular Blizzard's.

Data4

Arcane
Rosh said:
In an ideal market, I'd rather use that money for another few games to add to my library than reward a developer's lazy efforts, in particular Blizzard's.

I guess it all comes down to what a person feels is worth $15 a month. Besides, there are free WoW servers out there, though I haven't tried any of them. I wonder if anyone ever managed to get serverside code for TR...

Rosh

Erudite
Data4 said:
I guess it all comes down to what a person feels is worth $15 a month.

That is where the "micro-purchase" fallacy comes into play. Why buy a $40 game that might last for months of replay, and be playable years down the line, when you can pay $15 for a month of instant gratification?

Besides, there are free WoW servers out there, though I haven't tried any of them.

I've seen better private UO shards. The code in WoW is a disastrous mess.

I wonder if anyone ever managed to get serverside code for TR...

A couple of the developers managed to get a hold of it, but pending a group trying to continue the game by working a deal with NCSoft (lost the link somewhere, sorry), they won't do anything as of yet.

made

Arcane
Data4 said:
It should end with a memorial to all the relationships that failed due in part to the game. When I was really into it a few years ago, I knew six married couples who were a part of the guild I was in. ALL of them have since split up due to game drama.

I'm sure this is balanced out by all the nerd couples who have met through WoW and other MMOs.

Rosh

Erudite
made said:
I'm sure this is balanced out by all the nerd couples who have met through WoW and other MMOs.

/me pipes The Crying Game through your speakers.

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
Rosh said:
Ahzaruuk said:
Hard to say.

Unfortunately, any new content that Blizzard works for over a year on - will still be easily beaten within a couple of months after it is released. That is disregarding Blizzard's shitty server architecture and state of code causing severe issues.
And this is new...how? Any game-fuck, any THING takes longer to create than it does to process or consume. Why is this even being singled out?
And the content is real shit, too. You just go from boss to boss, figuring out and beating their little gimmick, collect up a couple of pieces of RNG loot all while hoping it gives you what you need instead of dropping the same shit for six months (and certain items only drop from a certain boss, so if what you want doesn't drop one week -see next point), and then farm the fuck out of the same bosses and same content week after week for months on end until you are allowed to progress to the next set of bosses - assuming Blizzard's slow asses have released more content by that time.
Individual bosses with different loot tables? Whodathunk it.
There is no real difficulty anymore aside from the "Hard Mode" crap they added in, which is easily overcome once you figure out the different gimmick they added for that mode, and if you've farmed the fuck out of the instance, "hard mode" means dick.
Hardmodes (or even regular bosses) require good group coordination. Bosses can fuck you over for the dumbest of mistakes, which comes to the next point..

No, Farm of Factioncrap is MORON friendly. Their recent dumbing down of content has led to a massive number of idiots and facerollers that get carried and are really useless. The sad thing is when 25 facerollers can get through the "new" Naxx, which is NOTHING compared to the old one.
Same shit, less numbers. Back when Molten core was the new shit, half the rad was on follow and away from the keyboard. Most of the "difficulty" of the content came from the ludicrous preparation multiplied by the number of people in the raid. There have always been morons in the highest echelons of Raid content,WoW has always been "Moron friendly." Now it's casual friendly as well.

Rosh

Erudite
Ahzaruuk said:
And this is new...how? Any game-fuck, any THING takes longer to create than it does to process or consume. Why is this even being singled out?

True, but even Blizzard is slow compared to many others in the industry when it comes to content.

Hardmodes (or even regular bosses) require good group coordination. Bosses can fuck you over for the dumbest of mistakes, which comes to the next point..

Pfft. All it takes is finding 24 other people who aren't absolute rollfacing morons. Arguably, that's difficult to find in WoW given the moron:intelligence ratio (in particular as of lately with so many New Naxx-trained idiots), so I can understand the "difficulty".

Same shit, less numbers. Back when Molten core was the new shit, half the rad was on follow and away from the keyboard. Most of the "difficulty" of the content came from the ludicrous preparation multiplied by the number of people in the raid. There have always been morons in the highest echelons of Raid content,WoW has always been "Moron friendly." Now it's casual friendly as well.

Molten Core was the beginning kiddy raid dungeon.

Too bad you've likely never been through the first Naxx to compare it with the revised one. Or SSC or TK, which were coordination fights that make current fights look like kid's play, and you couldn't have morons screwing up else it would kill the entire raid. The Archimonde fight as another example - one dead from anything and it was likely a wipe, so NOBODY could get carried. BWL, AQ, and original Naxx actually required some skill. Now it's all just "/rollface I can has loot?"

If there's a difference between casuals and morons in WoW, I've yet to see it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom