Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

how many jrpgs have you finished?

???

• zero. none zilch. zip. nada.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 2-5

• 6-10

• 11-20

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 21-50

• >50

• Total voters

Multi-headed Cow

1. I played Shining Force years ago, because the combat system was tolerable and I didn't have anything else to do at the time, and there was a Genesis just sitting there. About all I remember was liking the combat, though. Fuck if I remember anything about the story.

nomask7

Arcane
Jasede said:
MetalCraze said:
FF8. I wanted to see what the fuss is all about. It turned out to be a collection of cutscenes. And ridiculously stupid ones. I can't understand what people find in Chrono Trigger - it's probably one of the most retarded jrpgs out there.

They grew up with it. People really like games they grew up with, and are willing to look past flaws.

I bet you may have liked it a lot too, if you had played it aged ~12
In the case of FF7, I pretty much did. I loved it. Alas, there are some things that nostalgia can't save, and the Final Fantasy games, though not necessarily bad (compared with some other stuff), are some of those things. In fact, 90% of what I enjoyed when I was a child or a young teenager I no longer enjoy, while the remaining 10% I enjoy more than then. I recently played through Zelda: A Link to the Past, which I loved as a child, and I didn't feel any nostalgia or warmth or anything at all while playing through it. It was ridiculously easy, much shorter than I remembered, and had a couple of good tunes. The atmosphere that I had experienced as a child just wasn't there. I think I've changed so much that even old nostalgia is unreachable to me. The things I enjoy more I enjoy for completely different reasons than as a child.

Needle

Novice
Three.

Final Fantasy VII - Played it when it came out on PC. Tolerable if you can enjoy somewhat varied grinding and looting (I used to). Design and writing are mostly abysmal, though. This was the first and the last game ever I eventually found myself clicking through the "plot"-parts without reading them. Shit was just plain painful to read.

Grandia II - Also on PC. Horrible. HORRIBLE! I don't even know why I dragged myself all the way through this rotten turd. I think it ended with the squeaky-voiced girl growing angel wings and flying through space on a rainbow or something. Not sure why. I guess my brain suppressed the memories in order to keep me sane.

Anachronox - Looked nice and the writing was silly fun. Combat was a dull, pointless and shitty treadmill, though. They just should've made it an adventure game.

Fyz

Scholar
FF1
FF4
FFX
FFXII
Crono Trigger
Link's awakening
Oracle of seasons
Pokemon Yellow
Pokemon Gold

Talonfire

Scholar
I've finished quite a few.

Breath of Fire II
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross
Dragon Quest V
Earthbound
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Lufia
Lufia 2
Lunar
Lunar 2
Pokemon Blue
Pokemon Silver
Pokemon Sapphire
Secret of Mana

I've played more, but alas I lost interest in them.

made

Arcane
Played several, finished none. I always get bored during the self-imposed "grind and finish all optional content before the final boss fight" phase.

xuerebx

Erudite
I've only finished Chrono Trigger (awesome game), and some of the older Pokemon games. I've started but never finished the Final Fantasies and Lufia on the SNES.

xuerebx

Erudite
Planescape is a JRPG? Never realised that. Then I guess I've also completed Planescape.

poocolator said:
Let's keep running around until we're magically attacked by monsters popping out of my ass. We can kill as many as we want and more'll just jump right back out!
Fallout?

Did I hit a nerve?

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
The Ninth Circle said:
poocolator said:
Let's keep running around until we're magically attacked by monsters popping out of my ass. We can kill as many as we want and more'll just jump right back out!
Fallout 3?
Let me fix this for you.

The Ninth Circle said:
Did I hit a nerve?
No, sorry. The internet doesn't hurt.

poocolator said:
The Ninth Circle said:
poocolator said:
Fallout 3?
Let me fix this for you.

The Ninth Circle said:
Did I hit a nerve?
Fallout's random encounters were just the same way.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
The Ninth Circle said:
poocolator said:
The Ninth Circle said:
poocolator said:
Fallout 3?
Let me fix this for you.

The Ninth Circle said:
Did I hit a nerve?
Fallout's random encounters were just the same way.
Yeah... but you could avoid them by not traveling through bandit-prone areas and by upping your outdoorsman skill. I haven't encountered a JRPG that let you avoid boring encounters. Also, the world map is far, far different than some stupid 10 meter by 2 meter corridor where enemies infinitely spawn and attack you as you pace back and forth. Too lame, man, too lame.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Actually, a lot of JRPGs have at least one item or spell that wards off enemy encounters for awhile (usually called Holy Water, or some such muck).

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
They're usually poorly implemented though as they're generally extremely rare, super expensive, and/or can only be acquired late in the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom