Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How close to completion

Fez

Erudite
Can I have it in a leather bound case with gold lettering? How about spider skin? My game playing experience hinges on a spider skin covered box for your game.

Fez

Erudite
A cloth map! They were always a nice bonus to get.

The_Pope

Scholar
Fez said:
A cloth map! They were always a nice bonus to get.

Cloth? You accept cloth!

I won't settle for any less than silk, and that's pushing it.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The map is very detailed and authentic-looking, but it will have to be purchased separately for only $7.65. Here is a link, you can buy it right now!

denizsi

Arcane
Each team member will wear the same underpant for five days, and the maps will be pressed on those cloths.

VD, what about the question of isometric?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
denizsi said:
By the way, I was wondering if you have thought about isometric rendering in the game as an option, as in UFO:AI. 3D and ISO blend greatly. If you haven't, I beg you to consider it :)
I haven't played UFO: AI, so can you explain?

galsiah

Erudite
It has an isometric (EDIT - ok, orthographic then :)) overview, with the option to zoom in on one of your squad members for a 1st person perspective view.
I don't really see what this would add for AoD.

[NB denizsi the ISO view in UFO:AI is 3d. The "opposite" of Isometric is Perspective]

suibhne

Erudite
galsiah said:
[NB denizsi the ISO view in UFO:AI is 3d. The "opposite" of Isometric is Perspective]

Fwiw, technically, isometric is a very specific viewing angle such that all three axes (x, y, z) are equal. Not that I think there can't be some flexibility there. :wink:

denizsi

Arcane
galsiah said:
(EDIT - ok, orthographic then :)

I know actually, but since the game terminology itself is flawed in general (as half the games dubbed and even marketed as isometric aren't even isometric at all), I don't feel uncomfortable misusing (or raping) the term. Now if you like, we can focus on which specific orthographic projection it is :) I believe the complete term should be trimetric axonometric orthographic projection, as none of the axes stay fixed when the viewing angle (or angle to projection plane) is distorted/changed so all of the axes are foreshortened.

VD said:
I haven't played UFO: AI, so can you explain?

Think of Prelude to Darkness. Check the image:

Perspective-foreshortening.png

A is your typical parallel projected game. B is AOD or any other typical 3D game with perspective projection. UFO:AI does both, but camera angle isn't fixed, as in PtD (which also was 3D).

Some screenshots for comparison from UFO:AI:

perspective projection:
1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5

Parallel projection:
1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6

Btw, play UFO:AI. It's awesome.

galsiah said:
I don't really see what this would add for AoD.

Beside the nostalgia value, I find it a lot more easier to control and adjust the camera to my liking in parallel prj. games. Perspective overview is a mess compared to it in my opinion. Finally, it's not something that requires complete re-writing of 3D api but a formula in it (though this would probably depend on the engine architecture). It was also added to UFO:AI as an afterthought in one of the updates.

galsiah

Erudite
Sure - it's worth a thought. I'd have thought perspective would work better in AoD though. You're only controlling a single unit, and will be able to see much more towards the "horizon" - which could be useful for navigation, I guess(??). Also, there's no issue with needing to clearly identify lines-of-sight or similar anywhere in the environment.

I think you'd probably lose more than you'd gain (though clearly I'm not in a position to know the details).

I'm not a fan of the "make it an option" school of design. If Iron Tower are doing all their testing in perspective, then they'll miss any issues which might relate only to a parallel projection (e.g. reduced navigational visibility in some areas / particularly dodgy aesthetics). If they test in both perspectives, they're losing time on doing one of them really well.
[Edit - I think it's reasonable in UFO:AI, since frequently adjusting the view to get better perspective fits well with the feel of a squad based TB tactical game. Having both views can be helpful, since the player can use both to good effect. I don't think the same is true of a single character RPG.]

denizsi

Arcane
Whether there's anything to be lost or gained depends on landscape elevation I think, but having control over camera should nullify that, or any other would-be problem. Level design (or what can be gathered from the screenshots) already seems to share the same basic principals with the parallel projection.

If implementation is as easy as a change of mere lines to switch the formula, I think it's worth to try it just to see if it causes any problems of the sort you mention. I don't think it would take extensive amounts of testing though.

jeansberg

Liturgist
I remember Diablo 2 having an option for 'perspective view' or something. Is this the same thing?

jeansberg

Liturgist
Surely the main character was a 3d model. It wouldn't have been practical to make 2d animations for all the different weapon and armor models. At least that's how I understand it.

VasikkA

Liturgist
Just add some Bloom and ship the game already! :lol:

I really like how the GUI has evolved lately. Pardon me for saying, but the old inteface conveyed a wee bit amateurish feel to the screenshots, but now I can even consider showing this game to others. A huge difference. Good luck with the release mayhem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom