Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS HoMM3 fan add-on Horn Of The Abyss now available in English

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I finished HotA campaigns (I skipped some of the second one). It's good stuff, but I wish the cthulhu stuff was a bit more subtle.
Not-cthulhu level 5 creature looks exactly like cthulhu. And with the Horn you can generate a whole army of not-cthulhus. Pretty lame.
The Casmetra ritual mission is also a bit on the nose. A wizard named "Joycraft". JUST LIKE LOVECRAFT, AMIRIGHT BROS???!!!

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I finished HotA campaigns (I skipped some of the second one). It's good stuff, but I wish the cthulhu stuff was a bit more subtle.
Not-cthulhu level 5 creature looks exactly like cthulhu. And with the Horn you can generate a whole army of not-cthulhus. Pretty lame.
The Casmetra ritual mission is also a bit on the nose. A wizard named "Joycraft". JUST LIKE LOVECRAFT, AMIRIGHT BROS???!!!

C'mon it's HoMM III at its finest. The base game had an actual Nagash and an actual Malekith, to name a few.

Last edited:

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
It's true that HoMM III is all about cliches and silly (SF)fantasy, but... eh... I still find it annoying. At least dress it in some proper lore, not just references.
And make not-cthulhu a tier 7 creature. Not-cthulhu shouldn't be a tier 5 scrub.

Last edited:

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
I have official confirmation from one of the coders that almost all team members hate orangputan and his recent chimpout, so this mod is officially halal for potatos to play. Inshallah.

New release with factory is mostly finished. Last things to do:
- Some new unit sounds.
- Graphical retouches, mostly map objects, grail puzzle, etc.
- Some coding rewrites, new UI functionalities.
- Testing.

No release date yet.

factory_town_screen.png

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I've been playing this a lot recently and was wondering what people think about the balance changes introduced, since this mod definitely moved out of "cool new content" into more of a "modders know better" territory.

When it comes to factions, conflux and necro were the two most affected, for obvious reasons.

I'm strongly biased since necro was always my favorite faction, but I'm not enjoying everything connected with necromancy getting slashed in half. I've completed a map with Thant (my fav hero, fite me), didn't get much lack with skill upgrades, had just one amplifier and no artifacts. Felt like it did very little most of the time, even with no skellie upgrade until super late into the game and using Thant's res to achieve 0 casualties creeping. Thing is, necro's l2 and 3 are super poo-poo so you really need those skellingtons to get going. Gib skellingtons plz.

What they did with conflux was p spot on, on the other hand. Fire birbs needed to be put in check and it was done rather elegantly. You still get extra growth and still can do all the crazy crap they allow for if you wish, but it's not as ridiculous and effortless anymore. Putting extra cost on l6 is also not the worst idea in the world.

I wonder why, of all the lower end factions, they decided to mostly boost Tower. Inferno got a bit of a bone thrown their direction, but not nearly enough to salvage them. And Dungeon got slightly nerfed, if anything, lol.

I'm definitely not a huge fan of skill changes, though.

Banning resistance. It's not like I'm gonna miss it, but it's a weird decision. Always thought this skill is very meh and also uniquely bad in that not only is it one of those that need a lucky roll to trigger, but it also only does something when fighting another hero and is pointless for creeping (with some extremely rare exceptions).

I didn't really use the new skill, interference, but it seems like something that's only useful when fighting another hero and only really when they are focused on direct damage spells. In other words - almost never. Sorcery is also widely considered one of the worst skills in the game, so introducing a new skill that pretty much just directly counters it seems like a pretty bizarre choice. And sorcery actually does something for you regardless of circumstances.

Intelligence got severely nerfed. This skill was always in a weird spot. The effect is good, but it always had problems with breaking the mold of top tier skills that you always want to take. And it's not something you'd want on your secondaries, either. Well, I guess you could make an argument that it was just too good at what it wanted to do and allowed disregarding knowledge to a big extent.

Mysticism buff is an obvious thing, but it doesn't really salvage that skill, with the exception of heroes that start with it. This skill could/should imo be fused with intelligence, particularly when they decided to strongly nerf the latter. Skill slot economy is super tight as is.

Logistics got nerfed. Anything giving extra strategic movement was nerfed. I see the rationale, but ain't sure what is this supposed to change on a grander scale other than big maps with no portal being all the more annoying. You'll still always want this.

Estates yield got doubled. Guess it's now a more decent skill for secondaries as it no longer needs more than one week to give you one day of capitol money. I still don't really feel excited about it outside of bumrushing on impossible difficulty and there are still multiple skills I'd rather have on secondaries most of the time.

Oh, I guess scouting got boosted, too. Not that anyone cares.

Latest news on the forums seems to suggest new update with Factory is going to be released this year. I won't put my money on it, though.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
HoMM3 suffers from (Mass) Haste/Slow being the best spells in the game too, not only from faction imbalance.

Endemic

Arcane
Tower is overly expensive for what you get (upgrades use far too many rare resources) and creatures are slow overall.

You tried maining Galthran instead? Buffing your skeleton horde is underrated.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
HotA bans Galthran. I was also never a fan of the more cheesy heroes tbh, and he is one of them.

And Tower is too expensive for sure (bordering unplayable on higher difficulties, as you are prone to get completely fecked by resource screw), but I'd definitely help Inferno over it.

Endemic

Arcane
Devils and some creature structures could be cheaper, yeah. Efreet rush and/or Demon farming seem to be the main strengths, not sure buffing the lower tier creatures would be that helpful.

Quatlo

Arcane
Being able to ground target with magogs is the biggest gamechanger for me, you just kill your own imps and turn them into devils. Much much better since you dont need to rely on creeps to do it reliably in the amounts you want.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Manual targetting for aoe attacks is yuge. I wasn't sure whether it was added by HD or HoA tho.

index.php

Arcane
https://heroes3wog.net/horn-of-the-abyss-factory-campaign-complete/

Horn of the Abyss v1.7 – The Factory campaign is completely finished​

hota_news.jpg

Author: Liso1 November 8, 2023

Friends and not-so-friends, I bring you a bit of long-awaited news. More precisely not just news, but summaries from the development and a few facts about the campaign.

07.11.2023 – Horn of the Abyss v1.7​

• Completely finished gameplay part of the Factory campaign: All 8 maps are ready, tested and linked together by transitioning heroes, artifacts, etc.
  • New single-player maps have been added to the game and almost all old maps have been updated where required
  • Right now we’re in the process of recording the voiceovers for the campaign videos. Yes, the traditional howl-over during the before and after missions will return, with plans to voice the already released dockside campaigns as well
  • Simultaneously with the voiceover, texts are being written to accompany players on the campaign maps
  • Work on bug fixes and code optimization is ongoing

horn_of_the_abyss_logo

And while I’m talking about the Campaign, I’ll tell you a little bit about it:​

You already know that it has 8 missions, almost all maps are medium, large and very large in size, play for a long time, which will definitely appeal to fans of bringing together large armies in epic battles.

The campaign will offer dozens of hours of gameplay, but I will warn you! The campaign will be challenging, designed for the experienced player. If you found the dockside campaigns challenging, you should definitely not choose the “high” difficulty levels: We went further and in addition to the standard AI enhancement and reduced starting resources, a player playing on the higher difficulty levels will encounter additional challenges and will be limited in some of the features available when playing on lower difficulty levels.

So you should not feel obliged to play only on the “impossible” level. If there are difficulties, feel free to place a horse or rook (or maybe a pawn) – there will be plenty of large-scale battles, cunning opponents, and opportunities to solve mission objectives in several ways at any difficulty level!

It’s no exaggeration to say that this will be the most detailed campaign in the history of the game, the least we can do in memory of Docent.
Of course, the team has further stories to tell when the time comes, but we probably won’t dare to encroach on the Factory’s ascendant campaign. -by Donko from HotA Team

Source: https://forum.df2.ru/index.php?s=c8f0df8fd93d5ccc517d3cd5a317371e&showtopic=37363&st=4000

ciox

Liturgist
HoMM3 suffers from (Mass) Haste/Slow being the best spells in the game too, not only from faction imbalance.
I wonder if they could make it so spells like that have about an Inferno-sized cast area instead of the full playfield, and if that would be balanced.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I wonder if they could make it so spells like that have about an Inferno-sized cast area instead of the full playfield, and if that would be balanced.
Not really because it only tackles the symptom, rather than the cause. Haste/Slow being so overpowered has to do with retaliations being after the attack, so you are incentivized to attack first in every possible scenario, thus Haste/Slow being the best spells in the game.

ciox

Liturgist
Not really because it only tackles the symptom, rather than the cause. Haste/Slow being so overpowered has to do with retaliations being after the attack, so you are incentivized to attack first in every possible scenario, thus Haste/Slow being the best spells in the game.
H4 bros, we are so back.

Dr1f7

Scholar
I've been playing this a lot recently and was wondering what people think about the balance changes introduced, since this mod definitely moved out of "cool new content" into more of a "modders know better" territory.

When it comes to factions, conflux and necro were the two most affected, for obvious reasons.

I'm strongly biased since necro was always my favorite faction, but I'm not enjoying everything connected with necromancy getting slashed in half. I've completed a map with Thant (my fav hero, fite me), didn't get much lack with skill upgrades, had just one amplifier and no artifacts. Felt like it did very little most of the time, even with no skellie upgrade until super late into the game and using Thant's res to achieve 0 casualties creeping. Thing is, necro's l2 and 3 are super poo-poo so you really need those skellingtons to get going. Gib skellingtons plz.

yeah i get it necro is my fav too I hate when my fav faction gets nerfed for "balance" by some metagaming dweeb virgin cuck loser shitsack goober the modder can suck my shit and sshove a whole optimized factory up his ass

Lacrymas

Arcane

Is this the same Factory that was cut from the game? Doesn't look like it
The Heavenly Forge was replaced with the Conflux, this is something else entirely.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom