Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Homeworld 3 from Blackbird Interactive - coming May 13th

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
What amazes me about Cirulis is how the fuck he managed to nail it despite being an utter human shitstain. Talent and civility do not go together, it seems.

Care to elaborate?

Also, I think that while H1 story was great and unique, you can always invent the new theme that is great (or in other words - there is never a good time to call it "end of history"):

(i) standard - we came back but the evil is still there and retaliate
(ii) plot-twist - we really were "nazis" exiled and now need to cope with moral ambiguity "it-is-not-us-but-ancestors" vs taking moral responsibility
(iii) countless other fresh plots in-between...

It is really down to ingenuity of the writers rather than "the plot of the last game was so great it cannot be beaten EVER OMFG!!!" shitty explanation.

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
Care to elaborate?

Gotta go by memory, stuff is more than a decade old by now.

Cirulis (and his lore writer Erinys or whatever was her nick) were far in advance of the times, before all that 2014 unpleasantness they already took to heart the idea that the customer was always wrong and that you had to insert politics in everything. Like, some of the most cringeworthy declarations of love for the Obama administration as a beacon of hope and equality etc etc right in the forums.

Plus the reaction to the mess of Sword of The Stars 2 was essentially "game's good, it's just the EVIL TROLLS ON THE INTERNET THAT ARE SLANDERING OUR NAME" after releasing an essentially broken product (and a far inferior game to Sword of the Stars 1). Reconsidering it now, they were clearly the first signs of the hyper-hostile hyper-politicized developers that ended up dominating the market, but Kerberos after SoTS2 barely managed to hang on with a series of shovelware stuff and a mediocre roguelike (The Pit) before fading away.

Truth be told, that despite them being essentially unpleasant people to read about some of their games were good. HW1, Cataclysm and even SoTS1 had clearly great care put into the worldbuilding and design.

(ii) plot-twist - we really were "nazis" exiled and now need to cope with moral ambiguity "it-is-not-us-but-ancestors" vs taking moral responsibility

That's the plot of Homeworld 2. Wait, you didn't know? Maybe they should not have cut it apart and left the details of it in the fucking Game's Guide or something. Why the Core MacGuffins are important, how the first Hiigaran Empire was worse than Hitler, written, misused and then hidden. HW2 was a mess.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Dayyālu

Hah :)
It may be that I subconsciously remembered from my H2 play through 5-8 years ago that they were Hitlers and I projected it into H3 good development plot.

Honestly, I don’t remember H2 plot at all, while H1 sticks with my memory relatively well.

Could be the testament to what you imply that they decided to be awkward and politically correct with their message they wanted to put across in H2 ( or simply clumsy/poor/incompetent in building the plot).

DesolationStone

Educated
At 99%, the player population will drop, making this mode completely useless for multiplayer, but it is a great addition to the campaign and skirmish mode.
Hope they don't ruin it with microtransactions

DeepOcean

Arcane
The whole co-op thing looks nice but is the sort of thing that has no players a few months after release.
Yes, I dunno why developers keep insisting on multiplayer for niche RTS games, if it isnt StarCraft 2 or Age of Empires, it will end like a ghost town after the first month.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
In Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak it was not possible to customize your controls in game. You had to edit a .json file outside of the game and then not all keys were supported. I dropped the game for this sole reason.

Now the same hacks return to the Homeworld universe after 8 years because they failed to produce anything good meanwhile.

Yeah, the chances for a good game are very slim.

edit: This is from patch 1.3.0. I cannot belive this shit.

Like all hotkeys, the Pause hotkey “P” is configurable by editing the custom.dokhotkeys file found in the backup and cloud files in the Deserts of Kharak Steam folder

(~Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Deserts of Kharak\out\backup\custom.dokhotkeys).

Removal

Scholar
We'll see what happens with the game, BBI laid off close to 15% of their workforce at the start of the month. Their release claimed no in progress games were impacted, but per other sites and linkedin some pretty big fish working on HW3 got cut including the lead game designer

ArchAngel

Arcane
We'll see what happens with the game, BBI laid off close to 15% of their workforce at the start of the month. Their release claimed no in progress games were impacted, but per other sites and linkedin some pretty big fish working on HW3 got cut including the lead game designer
Maybe it is because they tried to put too much woke stuff into the game
yea sure :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom