Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Homeworld 3 from Blackbird Interactive - coming May 13th

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
The scale in Homeworld 3 is tremendous - it's a space RTS for the James Webb era | Eurogamer.net

Homeworld 3’s Space Terrain Makes the Death Star Trench Run an RTS Tactic - IGN

Homeworld 3 maintains the series' beloved aspects while evolving them | Shacknews

Homeworld 3 gameplay preview: Fight like a fish - Polygon

'Homeworld 3' gives real-time strategy a modern sci-fi twist (inverse.com)

After 20 years, get ready for Homeworld 3's massive sci-fi fleet battles | VentureBeat

Homeworld 3 preview: A sequel looking to redefine space strategy games | Windows Central

Homeworld 3 Hands-On Preview - Returning to Revolutionize RTS - GAMING TREND

Homeworld 3's Cover System is Not Just for Show (gamerant.com)

1661599684244.png

very reassuring

1661600495938.png

the magic number

Last edited:

DesolationStone

Educated
I'm curious about the engine they're using, I didn't understand if it was still the one of Homeworld Remastered or the UE4

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
I'm curious about the engine they're using, I didn't understand if it was still the one of Homeworld Remastered or the UE4
“This is a very good question, I’ll tackle the tech stuff first - Different engine than Deserts of Kharak. We built on the foundation of Homeworld Remastered, meaning the engineering team took the simulation layer from Homeworld Remastered and bootstrapped it onto Unreal Engine 4 to take advantage of that engine's presentation and rendering power."
This implies Unreal 4

DesolationStone

Educated
“This is a very good question, I’ll tackle the tech stuff first - Different engine than Deserts of Kharak. We built on the foundation of Homeworld Remastered, meaning the engineering team took the simulation layer from Homeworld Remastered and bootstrapped it onto Unreal Engine 4 to take advantage of that engine's presentation and rendering power."
This implies Unreal 4
Can you send me the link of the interview?

DesolationStone

Educated
So, any chance that this will be good?
Actually the only things that scares me are
- The cringy fizzy dialogues in the gamescom demo like "the way that carrier explodes, beatiful" (but maybe was just the commentary for the demo)
- Some developers says "Homeworld 3 it's for everyone"
- That the game will perhaps focus only on combat on the ground

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
- That the game will perhaps focus only on combat on the ground

U wot M8?

I agree that the "for everyone" thing is a bit worrying since if there is one RTS franchise that is by definition not for everyone (even by the standards of RTS audience) it most certainly is Homeworld. But hopefully its just some bullshit a random marketing drone told the devs to parrot.

I guess the gameplay itself will largely be the same as in HW2 (which is fine by me), the main innovation as I understand some older Fig updates should be more focus on the use of space terrain in combat (like flying through that tunnel in the recent video). The space terrain should primarily be wrecks of various mega ships, but also asteroids, gas clouds and such - we will see how well will this get implemented.

I would love to get a few missions with ground units as well (I actually like Deserts of Karak), I think this would work well in the SP campaign (ie you fight your way to some planet, land to steal some some artefact and then escape), but that doesnt seem to be in the cards.

I am also really curious about how many playable factions are there going to be in the MP, would be nice if there were at least 2-3 in addition to Hiigarans.

DesolationStone

Educated
Homeworld 3 is really a continuation of the story of Homeworld 2. Karan S'jet has gone out and has been unlocking these gates that were unlocked at the end of Homeworld 2. But she has since disappeared, like she's gone on a journey out unlocking these gates, and no one has heard from her for 100 years. And the general direction from where she disappeared, a threat has begun to emerge, an anomaly that's creeping into the existing space. And our hero, Imogen S'jet is dispatched with a fleet to essentially combat this threat
and
Q: Lastly, Blackbird Interactive made headlines for moving to a four-day workweek. Has that had a positive impact on your health and the development process?
McGuire:
It's been amazing. It's been really amazing. We're actually going to issue a follow-up to it. You know, we announced it back in February. And now we have the whole studio on it, including the Homeworld 3 team. We're closely monitoring all of our stats in terms of productivity and things like that. And it's actually quite, it's like, numbers-wise, it's almost identical to where we were with the five-day work week, except everyone is more refreshed. Everyone makes smarter decisions. Everyone's happier. And it's just been incredible for us. So we're actually going to try and share this with other developers and share some great insights. We've been writing a white paper that we could share with people. But yeah, it's been really incredible for us. Thank you for asking

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
homeworld's story is already technically for everyone. besides being a loose retelling of various bibical stories (such as the Land of Nod from the book of Genesis), it's a story about overcoming overwhelming odds

the real concern should be over the writers retconning more stuff that was written by the original writers. while homeworld 2 has a fantastic modding community that still persists to this day, excellent ship combat, art style, atmosphere, and presentation - the plot retcons it made are complete dogshit and a slap in the face. to me, homeworld 2 doesn't even *exist* in terms of plot - it just slaps random elements together and expects them to be coherent

imagine going from the story i described to a "ohhh hmm we gotta find this magical mcguffin that does this thing in order to do a thing"

now, i've heard that homeworld 3 is going to actually be the original conception that homeworld 2 was - the dust wars plot. if that's the case, i have some hope

Last edited:

DesolationStone

Educated

finally, a good cut gameplay without cringy voice over and the legendary soundtrack of the first game.
Looking at the gameplay, it seems like a mix of the best mechanics of Homeworld 1&2 (one small craft produced at time; resource collector also repair and stole ships; hw1 formations)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
This really looks beautiful, I love the scenery and ship design, sticks to the homeworld aesthetic while still being able to improve upon it. Hopefully the story will manage to keep me interested, despite all the shit homeworld 2 and deserts gets here, I actually enjoyed them.

Removal

Scholar
cautiously excited
however, the ship designs seem almost too similar/blocky? Like there's not enough detail on the flat surfaces and all of the ships look like that, especially if you compare it to some of the HW1 designs

I guess the whole "terrain in space" is intended to fix the main design problem this series always had - full 3d battlefields in space, where positioning doesn't matter and the fighting takes place on a line between two points of interest.

Oh, I can put my ships into a formation. Aside from looking cool (which, admittedly, it does) what is the point?

Modron

Arcane
Aside from looking cool (which, admittedly, it does) what is the point?
Making sure all your fleet arrives almost at the same time ready to fireoff a like massive broadside? Also might solve that whole missile capital ships firing out the side and before curving towards target often hitting friendly ships in tight formations instead of the enemy making them markedly less effective than the laser variety issue.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I guess the whole "terrain in space" is intended to fix the main design problem this series always had - full 3d battlefields in space, where positioning doesn't matter and the fighting takes place on a line between two points of interest.

Oh, I can put my ships into a formation. Aside from looking cool (which, admittedly, it does) what is the point?
And still I think there are better ways to introduce tactics into the game. As of now all this terrain stuff looks more like a gimmick that is supposed to fix the lack of tactical options.

Tactics in space should rely more on long-ranged weapons, stealth and flanking as well as variable load-outs of ships and fleet compositions.

DesolationStone

Educated
I've finished for the first time Homeworld Cataclysm: simply a masterpiece, plot, setting, gameplay, missions, everything. And the good news it's that the writer, Martin Cirulis, it's also working on Homeworld 3

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom