Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HITMAN, the new episodic Hitman - GOTY Edition

Kontra

Educated
Im not sure if you are pulling my leg man. Im telling you theres no door.

il9dhv.jpg

That line is just the bartenders shadow. Theres no door enhanced or unenhanced. So, unless you have some other theory i think its safe to say that the matter is closed no pun intended.

And yeah the framerate is bad but its playable.

Divinity: Original Sin
Im not sure if you are pulling my leg man. Im telling you theres no door.

That line is just the bartenders shadow. Theres no door enhanced or unenhanced. So, unless you have some other theory i think its safe to say that the matter is closed no pun intended.

And yeah the framerate is bad but its playable.

Of course there isn't. You can't see any lines. I was just making sense of a design mistake, and for me, that is a reasonable explanation.

Kontra

Educated
Persianronin, dont you think thats a bit offtopic...? Well anyway i havent played it and i dont think i can even run it, but just by looking at the vids it seems better. No checkpoints, no cutscenes, bigger maps etc. So yeah its already better but then again being better than Absolution aint no big feat. Why cant it be better than Blood Money or Contracts or Silent Assassin? The sad truth is its not even going to be better than Codename 47 which at least had an interesting storyline and a shitload of charm... Im sorry to say this but Hitman is dead. Mission complete IO. Head for your exit point.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The only thing I ask is good AI (MGS V TPP good), Level Design, various ways to get shit done, no Popmale Interface and mechanics and that 47 isn't a fucking tank (to be easy to die). Then, I am sold.

Kontra

Educated
It's great!
AB9F0665B5ACAA34B21CB0B93E4934B09566DE1B

6D95AC34B5EBD94C3DE211B151EC11B6C359F77B

OK so you can get behind the bar, but why doesnt the guard react? In the second screen it appears that he left?? Only the bartender can be behind the bar. Everyone knows that.

In Contracts TotT itself theres a second proper bar just like this one but look what happens.

14wg2g.jpg

The guard pulls his gun at you and starts waving his hand

110vj3l.jpg

If you dont comply he gets in your face like he means it

maawyw.jpg

And if you still arent out he starts aiming his gun at your dick.

Wow... It feels like a hostile world where you better watch your steps or youre gonna lose more than your life. How hardcore. It was more extreme in SA where they skip the warnings and just shoot straightaway.

But now you can prance around without a care in the world...
:decline:

The only thing I ask is good AI (MGS V TPP good), Level Design, various ways to get shit done, no Popmale Interface and mechanics and that 47 isn't a fucking tank (to be easy to die). Then, I am sold.

I dont know about the maps. It seems they are going more for realism with realistic(as in size and everything) maps than actually fun places to move about.

Kontra

Educated
Funny story: a guy who made a lot of cool videos on the game disappeared off the face of the earth for a few years and came back to drop this bombshell.

Nice...
The wife knocks her head on the door. This is why BM is the best, cause everything is a weapon. Im not sure how it works exactly but it seems if Npcs connect their heads with some surface under a certain angle they get knocked out. Its like the game simulates head trauma.

Kontra

Educated
I played some Blood Money yesterday and heres some ways to do accidents in A New Life.

accident 1-the sidewalk
2vwskdi.jpg

Throw a coin near this jogger and when he goes looking for it push him on the sidewalk

2nw31xz.jpg

I think the sidewalk counts as stairs but with a single stair step.

accident 2-the tree
2iase4g.jpg

Throw a syringe next to that tree for the guard to pick up and push him before he does it.

vya3yu.jpg

Alternatively, if you let him pick up the syringe hes gonna see the jogger. When he runs toward him, push him on the sidewalk too.

accident 3-the basement

This one is a pain in the ass to set up. Push a guard that patrols the basement down the stairs then drag him up and align him like in the screen.
55p5zn.jpg

His hands and legs have to block the doors so they wont close.

Drop some syringes around the house for the guards to pick up and carry to the stash room. Theyll come through here and try to revive their buddie. Rush from behind those sheets and push them down the basement.
nb4qwi.jpg

Rinse and repeat. I didnt try it but you could probably clean the entire house like this.

Theres also some other ways but figure them out for yourself. Teh point is you wont be able to do this in H6 so why would you play it. Just play BM instead.

Kontra

Educated
Alright here are some tips for if you played BM a lot and want to make it more challenging:

Step 1.
Ramp up notoriety to 100 as early as possible and never pay to lower it. The only problem here is the tutorial doesnt count so you always start Vintage Year with 0. So if you dont want to kill everyone what you can do is finish the mission perfectly your way, but before exiting kidnap Rex Stanton the 80s B action movie star, and drag him to the plane. If you want to justify it lets say that 47 hates his movies or something. Make sure the cameraman tapes the whole thing and that nobody kills Rex. Youll get around 30 witnesses and not a full 100 notoriety but close enough.

Note that playing on 100 notoriety is a bitch. Anyone can recognize you at anytime so you have to always stay in the background and get near people only when necessary and for as short amount of time as possible. One cool thing though is that if someone recognizes you and theres no guards around, they just drop to their knees immediately, waiting for the inevitable... It makes for a great moment where you feel like a real badass killer whose reputation precedes him.

Step 2.
Turn off the interface. You have to enable cheats for this. What you get is:
No health bar - you have to look at how messed up your suit is for deciding whether to take an adrenaline shot or not;
No suspicion meter- you have to always mind your surroundings; if a guard starts rubbing his chin then its a good idea to clear the area;
No crosshair - if you want to pop someone in the head then you better get real close. Entering first person mode helps a lot and also buying a red dot sight for your gun.

Step 3.
-Disable running. No more running around bitch because lets face it running is for pussies so dont do it. If some guard starts eyeing you then just walk away and pray like you did in Silent Assassin. Yeah maybe its too much and kinda stupid but what you can do if sometimes you really have to run(pussy), is to map the run key to the other side of the keyboard like to the plus or minus sign. That way youd have to drop the mouse so it balances out.

Thats it... Have fun and remember say no to Hitman 6.:salute:

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Step 4.
Keep your balls clenched in c-clamp the whole time you're playing the game. Additional challenge if you let them swing loosely over the chair. If that doesn't make it hardcore enough, gradually tighten the clamp till it's impossible to play without at least mildly moaning from pain. It's possible to add electric current to clamps, but i haven't tested it yet as it requires a bit of work to weed out possible unwanted effects.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...ctor_weighs_risk_reward_of_going_episodic.php

Hitman creative director weighs risk, reward of going episodic

The traditional rhythm of video game development has shifted. Where once, a team would weary themselves in so-called ‘crunch’ during the run-up to their game’s launch, squishing bugs and issuing fixes before a pristine gold disc was sent to the manufacturing plant, today the launch of a game is just the beginning of its story.

Fixes, improvements, balancing tweaks, additional characters and features and, increasingly, entirely new chapters in a game’s story have become the norm, thanks to the ease with which patches can be delivered to players via the internet.

There is a shift, too, toward episodic structures, which mimic the familiar delivery mechanisms of TV, with the launch of video game episodes that combine to create a season. Telltale Games, the California-based studio has pioneered the technique in which, theoretically, the development risks are lowered.

For Telltale, it has paid serious dividends. By the end of 2013 the company, which is independently owned, had sold more than 21 million episodes of The Walking Dead, a spin-off to the American horror television series. The success has won the studio yet more high-risk, high-reward opportunities, including the chance to work on the major IPs Game of Thrones, Minecraft and Batman.

Others are following Telltale’s example. Life Is Strange is a 2015 TV-style series of games, split across five episodes. It won major accolades for its storytelling, which draws players in, in the manner of a Netflix series.

Hitman, traditionally a standalone action game, has also just switched to an episodic model for its 2016 release, tomorrow. The challenges for a major blockbuster, with a devoted following, moving to an episodic model are, arguably, different to those faced by adventure-game makers.

I spoke with Christian Elverdam, the game’s creative director, to find out what drive the decision to move toward an episodic structure, and what changes the decision forced in terms of IO Interactive’s working methods.

Why did you make the decision to offer an episodic structure for the next Hitman? At what point was the decision made and based on what kind of data?
Before we even started thinking about episodic, we started looking at something more fundamental than that: the way digital distribution was reaching critical mass for games. This evolution has already happened with music, film and TV series. Services like Spotify and Netflix are prime examples of this.

The tipping point for us was the moment at which we could see enough people with connectivity to support downloading game content, which is, after all, much larger chunks of data than a film or TV show.

At the same time the policies around digitally distributed content on consoles, governed by Sony and Microsoft, were starting to approach the flexibility provided by PC.

With a clear belief that this critical mass would be met by the time our game was ready to ship, we set out to build the new Hitman.

Hitman1.jpg

What did the new distribution model enable you to do with the game that was harder before, with a more traditional boxed-model?
It allowed us to re-assess the type of storytelling we had come to take for granted in a traditional boxed game. Our main character, Agent 47, is by now an icon, but part of what makes him iconic is, we thought, at odds with traditional video game storytelling. By that I mean the ‘hero’s journey’, familiar from cinema, where our protagonist faces challenges and pressures that, when overcome, leave the hero stronger and changed for the better by the story’s conclusion. There is a change and a resolution.

This story structure doesn’t work with Agent 47 because he is, essentially, a blank canvas on which players can express themselves. Furthermore this is a game where freedom of approach is one of the most critical features; the setup is based on a silent master assassin taking out his targets in unforeseen and creative ways and where the turn of events are left mostly up to the players to decide.

The gameplay conflicts with the classic storytelling model. With a new way of distributing the game we could now allow ourselves to be inspired by a new, very strong trend - the reinvention of the TV series.

Can you give an example of the kind of reinvention in TV to which you’re referring?
If you take a character like Sherlock Holmes for example, the audience is fascinated by each mystery and crime he must solve. They’re not so interested in how he changes as a character, but rather in how his character behaves as he comes under pressure in each episode and goes about solving the problem. It is the meeting of the profession and the character that together create the fascination.

It is not far from Agent 47, only he and the player need to get away with the perfect crime instead of solving it. You then need to put a stable cast around Sherlock or Agent 47 to make the eccentric and somewhat antisocial main character work. Agent 47 always had his handler, Diana Burnwood, as a contact to the world around him.

And the targets are the problems that constantly needs solving. If we added some lasting antagonists to this, or maybe even a classic nemesis to drive a longer agenda, we felt we had the perfect foundation for telling stories, that would work with, not against, the essential character of Agent 47.

Hitman3.png

How did these changes affect the development process, especially for a team that’s not used to this approach?
First of all we had to restructure the game engine, from a static ‘ship it once’ engine to a tech foundation where we are able to alter content and change game rules with only minimal patches and small downloads. At the same time we needed to reorganize ourselves as a studio.

We now have a sizable live team, which is more akin to the structure of an MMO, than a classic game. (That’s not to say that the new Hitman game is an MMO.)

It also means that as a studio we had to make sure we avoided crunch. Since we release content frequently over a period of many months, we cannot have the team burning out by the time we ship the first episode.

In an industry where the norm is ‘all hands on deck’ for an extended period, allowing for downtime after the disc had been mastered, we had to come up with a long-lasting work environment. Even if we have been very busy shipping Hitman we did not do endless months of crunch and we do not see this as a viable part of our future.

Finally, one of the clearest benefits we have now is watching players on YouTube and Twitch. Nothing makes a game team more honest than looking at people playing your game. You can celebrate their successes, when a moment or a game mechanic plays out exactly as you had planned. And you can agonize when something does not work as intended, or when a player gets stuck or frustrated.

The understanding of what works and what doesn’t becomes crystal clear and the motivation to improve the game comes from within the team. The big difference is that this clarity and drive does not come once, when the disc ships, but around each and every episode.

Hitman4.png

Why was it important to you to offer the option for players to buy the entire game at once, as well as just the individual episodes?
We know we're doing something new. There is a saying ‘everybody likes progress, no one likes change.’ We fully see that.

We believe that as the season goes on, and concludes, people will see the benefits of how we developed the game. But we also accept that people see this as a risk. It’s a risk that they might not be willing to take for $60.

So we created an entry point, the ‘Intro Pack’, where you only pay for one episode at a time, which seems fair. We don't want to force people to a commitment. The game will speak for itself and you can jump in at any point or wait for the season to conclude.

What kind of design techniques are you using to inspire people to keep playing?
Traditionally we’ve relied on the story unfolding is a strong component of this. In Hitman we have always had the promise of globetrotting, so I think the excitement of traveling to new destinations is also key. From the fashionable level in Paris, to the lazy, beautiful and expansive Italian town on the Amalfi coast, to bustling markets of Marrakesh, Morocco with a military coup threatening to happen. A lot of the appeal is in having the chance to go to places you cannot normally visit.

Then there are the targets themselves: a Russian oligarch running a clandestine spy network; A troubled bioengineer with a sinister purpose; A corrupt general on the verge of taking control of a country. We want diverse targets and diverse locations.

Lastly, by being ‘live’ we have introduced a new type of gameplay. We have targets that only appear briefly in the game world, say over a 48-hour period. In these scenarios the outcome of the mission is final, if the target dies or if you die.

You can only play once – there’s no option to replay or save your progress. The moment when you are about to pull the trigger carries with it a tension we have not seen before.

Hitman5.jpg

What are the major risks and benefits of the episodic approach and do you believe more studios will follow your example?
There is always a risk when you are among the first to do something. Will people get it? But we already have seen a lot of interest from colleagues in the industry, who want to copy our example.

There is no question, in my mind, that it is a very natural and beneficial evolution. It brings the players and the developers much closer together, which is almost always a good thing. It will mean better games, more innovation, and more diversity.

Music, film and TV series have evolved this way. Games are a natural next step.

Angthoron

Arcane
I especially like episodic music, like when Katie Perry releases 1/4th of a song per season.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-03-10-hitman-review

Hitman review
Money talks.

jpg

recommended-large-net.png

Hitman rediscovers its agency in this strong start for IO's episodic series.

Editor's note: We will review the full season of Hitman once every episode has been released. But, as it is a systems-driven sandbox game, we feel that there is enough to go on in this initial release to warrant a full Eurogamer verdict.

We play games to unwind, but how many of the major titles are actually relaxing? Open worlders cut you adrift in the wilderness, but most of them quickly rope the player into mean little spirals of acquisition and upgrading. Shooter campaigns are strident, suffocating tunnels of bombast and attrition. But Hitman games? Hitman games are different. Hitman games turn laidback appreciation into an end in itself. Hitman games want you to slow down.

The Paris level in the first episode of Hitman's 2016 revival is, in this regard, a bit of a personality test. A fashion show set in and around an enormous marble palace, it starts Agent 47 off on the red carpet by default, and the natural inclination is to walk along that carpet to the entrance. After all, that's where the camera comes to rest as you assume control, that's where all the spotlights are pointed, and that's where the programming you've inherited from Call of Duty tells you the action should be.

It's hardly the wrong move - not far inside there's a palace staff outfit that'll let you tour the rear of the building unchallenged, and who knows, you might bump into one of your targets while you're pretending to mop a floor. But perhaps you aren't the follower type. Perhaps you fancy a stroll in the gardens instead. Perhaps it's worth tailing the news crew near the fountain. Perhaps there's somewhere you can casually abandon something that's a little too unwieldy to smuggle into the building, where a guard might stumble on it and ferry it to a security locker. Perhaps you'll overhear something opportune while you're taking the air.

jpg

Using the default HUD, white dots over heads indicate characters who'll see through your disguise.

"Perhaps", I'm glad to report, is the most exciting word in the new Hitman's lexicon. I'll try to resist talking about the possibilities in detail, because uncovering the threads that join these bustling AI ecologies together is the heart and soul of the game. But suffice to say this is a welcome step back - away from the Polly Pocket levels and bloodthirsty action beats of 2012's middling Hitman: Absolution, and towards the vastly less obvious, more detached unpleasantness of Hitman: Blood Money.

There's a way to go, mind you. Paris and the accompanying prologue missions are a fine statement of intent, but I'm still waiting for a setup as beautifully evil as Blood Money's open air wedding or opera house rehearsal, and the game's handling of AI states and scripting needs work. On the whole, though the complexity of the initial sandboxes and the way they respond under pressure are worth the odd hiccup, and the advantage of an episodic release strategy, of course, is that IO can address mistakes before it reaches the finish line.

If you're new to Hitman's brand of assassination, know that this isn't really a game about hiding, though Agent 47 can crouch-walk and lock to cover with the best of 'em, and it's possible to carry out hits this way if you're determined. Rather, Hitman is all about fitting in. Each location is essentially an intricate map of dress codes that determine the AI's level of suspicion, so closing with a target is all about trading up from outfit to outfit, whether found in some closet or "borrowed" from some hapless bystander.

The other half of the game is working out the running order. Most of the key personalities in each area have a schedule - a private meeting with a high-level associate, say, followed by a tour of the showfloor and a trip to the bar - and these routines create openings for assassins. You might contrive to work behind that bar, for example, in order to charge the subject's glass with rat poison. In theory, efficiency and discretion are your watchwords, but the firmer your grip on the level's moving parts, the more tempting it is to be creative. After all, any old chancer with a silenced pistol can snipe a KGB turncoat through a window. Wouldn't you rather shove the man's head down a toilet after spiking his vodka, while dressed as the general he's supposed to be drinking with? Most delectable of all are the kills that look like accidents - a dropped chandelier, an electrified puddle - leaving you to amble away calmly, the Grim Reaper incarnate, while all hell breaks loose in your wake.

jpg

Some of the distraction techniques are pleasantly arcane. I wonder what else you can do with this chess set.

New "Opportunities" provide a gentle on-ramp to Hitman's complexities. Triggered by certain objects or conversations, they essentially walk you through a hit, from waypoint to waypoint. That's going to sound like straight-up poison to a purist, but fear not - you can switch Opportunities partially or completely off at any time, along with the minimap, Absolution's "Instincts" X-ray vision mode (which can now be used without limit), text prompts about AI alertness, and the directional HUD indicator that warns of an NPC's mounting suspicions. It seems an accomplished balance of accessibility and challenge.

Absolution dabbled with disguises that lose effectiveness over time or when NPCs are close by, much to the ire of fans. The new game abandons that frustrating system in favour of having certain characters able to see through certain disguises where it agrees with the story. So you won't be able to fool a chief bodyguard by dressing as a member of his hand-picked team, for example. It's a sensible adjustment, though the idea that Agent 47 - a sort of vampiric James Bond with a barcode on his skull and cut-glass eyes - can pass himself off as anybody at all remains a mystery.

Another satisfying evolution is that word of your misdeeds spreads in a more organic fashion: witnesses to a crime will run for the nearest guard and pass on a description that corresponds to how clear a view of you they got, including your current outfit. If you're quick on your toes, you can bring a runner down with a thrown object before they have a chance to spill the beans. Distant guards won't become magically aware of you the second your cover is blown, either, so you can generally retreat to another area and change your clothes. This does strain credulity at times, admittedly. I recall looking down as I dangled from a balcony, bullets shattering the glass all around, only to see sentries lounging with their arms folded, idly casing the crowd. Hopefully, later episodes will tweak how the simulation compartmentalises the AI, but then again, this is Hitman. A few dodgy behaviours are to be expected.

Less forgivable are the events, conversations or sequences of events that trigger based on proximity, so that you're required to drop by certain locations in order to nudge the simulation along - all for the sake, presumably, of ensuring that you overhear certain bits of story. There are only a couple of instances where I find this outright annoying, however, and depending on your tactics, it might be convenient that certain wheels must be set in motion. Still, I hope to see fewer of those triggers in episodes to come. In general, the story seems too prominent in the texture of each mission - there's an absolute glut of scripted dialogue, which you're obliged to sit through if you're shadowing the NPCs in question. Needless to say, this makes revisiting locations with new tools more of a chore than it needs to be.

jpg

Instinct Mode no longer requires topping up, and is essentially a more accessible map function. Still, switch it off if it annoys you.

I'll forgive IO that, though, because the storyline is an excuse to put Agent 47 through basic training, which involves two fairly small yet densely layered prologue levels - a luxury yacht operated by a black market dealer, and a Cold War base housing a runaway spy - that translate Hitman's founding conceit of poking at a convincing yet predictable sandbox into the very art direction. They're elaborate, clapboard sets populated by fellow agents in costume, some of whom fall out of script in response to more sensational assassinations. It's both amusing in itself and a sign that IO truly understands what made previous Hitmans spectacular - not the stalking or killing in itself, but the chance to infiltrate what is effectively a cycling theatrical production and bend it out of shape.

As to whether there's enough bang for your buck here - the return of Contracts, Absolution's one universally acclaimed innovation, should keep most players busy for weeks, providing the fundamentals hook your interest. This lets you set up and share bespoke hits by tagging any NPC and executing them while dressed a certain way and wielding a certain item. It's a mission editor, in other words, that requires you to be talented enough to pull off the feat you're proposing.

Hitman's return is in danger of being overlooked this week - it launches neck-and-neck with Tom Clancy's The Division, a game that aims to be the next Destiny, with a gigantic, lustrous world and a mighty ladder of unlocks to scale. As dubious a move as this may seem commercially, it's fitting to see a game as vast and, at times, vacuous as The Division launching alongside a game that's all about detail and volatility, where weaselling a target out of a packed room can take up to an hour. Without wishing to knock Ubisoft's work too much, Hitman's design is much more rewarding to ponder - it asks for experimentation and mastery, rather than mere patience and the ability to follow a waypoint. Agent 47's return is long overdue, and so far, very welcome. Roll on episode two.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom