Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HITMAN, the new episodic Hitman - GOTY Edition

EDIT: By the way I totally forgot to mention that you can't peek through the keyholes anymore. I don't understand how the fuck am I supposed to know what's on the other side of the door?
The mini map, no seriously, it's clear that devs wanted you to use the mini map since absolution. I find it amusing that there are people bitch about seeing through walls in stealth games yet are okay with minimaps as they're functionally the same thing except the 'wall hack' has a z-axis and the minimap not does but typically shows the guards field of view. At least you're consistent in thinking that both are causal bullshit.

In my own opinion, I believe that good sound design and giving the players 'cameras', like the eyeball in thief 2 is how the player should be able to safely locate guards in the area.

Cadmus

Arcane
EDIT: By the way I totally forgot to mention that you can't peek through the keyholes anymore. I don't understand how the fuck am I supposed to know what's on the other side of the door?
The mini map, no seriously, it's clear that devs wanted you to use the mini map since absolution. I find it amusing that there are people bitch about seeing through walls in stealth games yet are okay with minimaps as they're functionally the same thing except the 'wall hack' has a z-axis and the minimap not does but typically shows the guards field of view. At least you're consistent in thinking that both are causal bullshit.

In my own opinion, I believe that good sound design and giving the players 'cameras', like the eyeball in thief 2 is how the player should be able to safely locate guards in the area.
lol ok but I got it disabled. Another great example of this retarded cop-out with the difficulty settings "BUT MEN YOU CAN TURN OFF THE HELPERS AND CUSTOMIZE YOUR EXPERIENCE" which translates to "we made a shit game and don't know how to fix it, look here's some buttons you can play with to make yourself feel better"
MaskedMan does this mean I get access to the full game when it's out with this Beta key or how does it work?
I dont think so. :M
Ah that sucks ass, I was mildly looking forward to trying the full game. It seems a little bit better than Absolution.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wouldn't say they didn't learn anything from Absolution, there's just too much hand-holding at the moment. Sure you can create accidents and assassinate the target in different ways, but the way to do them are placed inside an "Assassination" tab, visualized by an image, every costume and assassinate opportunity are in "Discovery" tabs, so that when you put on a disguise or find out how to trick the target into testing the emergency launching system in a jet aircraft, they get "ticked" in one of those tabs like an achievement. It's best to ignore them and discover by yourself.

Disguise works in a weird way in this game, I feel like the game just randomly decides who can see through your clothes and who can't. In the first mission, there are 3 guards on the right side of 47, 1 standing inside a wooden cabin and 2 in front of him. Their positions were like this:
A
B C
At first, I lured B into a corner, subdued him and took his clothes. When I came out, A and C saw through my disguise. However, when I did the same with C, A and B didn't give a fuck for some reason.

I also did a small experiment with the "stay near target to trigger conversation" situation, the result this time is hilarious. If you don't follow Ritter's partner and instead go straight to his place, he will talk to his girlfriend for a bit and their conversation ends at the same time when the partner comes. However, when you stay around the partner, he would wander at the bar, go out and check out the scenery, 3 times (I feel like this is a bug), then ask a guard to lead him to Ritter's place. At this moment, Ritter and the girlfriend's conversation triggered, so the partner had just stood there like a statue and listened to them until their conversation ended.

Mind you, these are just small levels, I really wonder how the game can fuck up more in big, complex levels. The game sure does feel more open, sandbox-y, weird button mapping just like Blood Money, but it has too many problems at the moment. I think it wouldn't be Absoluteshit 2, just not the Blood Money 2 we've been expecting.

Cadmus

Arcane
Yeah, I also noticed this. At first I thought the guys with the same or higher level disguise could make you but it seems random.
I don't remember Blood Money having weird button mapping, what are you talking about?

Going by the gameplay videos of this game, supposedly for each disugise there peons that don't give a shit about you unless you are trespassing/suspicious/murderous, you know the usual, and there's the supervisors/enforcer that see through the disguise since they know who's their bitches are. They're marked by a white dot over their head, ala MGS.

If my hunch is right the reason why A and C saw through the disguise was because guard C was the supervisors/enforcer Belegarsson.

Cadmus

Arcane
Going by the gameplay videos of this game, supposedly for each disugise there peons that don't give a shit about you unless you are trespassing/suspicious/murderous, you know the usual, and there's the supervisors/enforcer that see through the disguise since they know who's their bitches are. They're marked by a white dot over their head, ala MGS.

If my hunch is right the reason why A and C saw through the disguise was because guard C was the supervisors/enforcer Belegarsson.
Ok, that doesn't seem so bad as long as you have some time to break the line of sight.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I just watched this stream, it was pretty exhaustive, the guy tested several ways to go about the first mission. If you don't mind his commentary, it's ok to watch, he doesn't go overboard with the persona thing, and his voice isn't the usual annoying puber plagued by hormone shifts. I was pretty happy with the AI reactions actually. The rest of the gameplay seems pretty much in the spirit of the good Hitman games (which I consider to be those up to and including Blood Money):

Honestly looks like this game is going to be a dumbed down version of blood money, which is still a step up from absolution, since that shit wasn't fucking hitman. I'm thinking this because they got rid of the syringes entirely since everyone just used a pistol to knock the NPCs out in blood money and made the UI the equivalent of that Clippy helper from microsoft word, with the words TRESPASSING in bold letters and those 'opportunities' being marked on the map. Oh and instinct still being around as 3d version of a minimap.

Edit: oh fucking hell there's regenerative health.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bought the introduction thingy. Tried the beta yesterday. Felt a bit more like Blood Money than Absolution, but you have to turn off all the UI things. Haven't played that much though, but got to say the performance is terrible. It is not looking much better than Absolution, but for some reason certain areas kills my FPS. From 50-60 to 22 when looking at a crowd and so on. I could live with playing it with 30 FPS just to have it stable, but there is no frame rate limiter unfortunately. So those crazy FPS jumps are annoying as hell.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The beta is basically a few missions one after the other.. Pretty disappointing overall for all the reasons Cadmus stated and just general level / game design.
Still not sure how this will shake out in a "OPEN WORLD" setting.

How do they plan integrating all this? Is it gonna be like Thief where you fap around then ~Enter Mission Level~ ?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

It's like Inception: everyone everywhere suddenly turns their attention to you. Creepy stuff.

I'm okay with that, and it's understandable. I mean if in a party someone started 'making a scene' like in there, it's normal that everyone starts watching it (unless everyone around are asians, in wich case they would try their best to not seen interrested).

But what bugs me the most is the amount of time that the NPC's need to figure out that he is an intruder (even when he started chrouching). And after he was discovered not one of the bodyguards already around thim tried to 'fight' or protect the target somehow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom