Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hitman: Absolution

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
:necro:

Played about 75% through this and it isn't as bad as some of derpy gifs and :nocountryforshitposters: suggest. That whole wrestling thing can be totally avoided depending on what you do on the (sub)level immediately proceeding it. You have to intentionally kill the masked wrestler and take his place to fight the Mexican dude. Or, like I did, you ghost the level, take a keycard, get in to the fight, and kill the dude with a chandelier from above. It really isn't that different from the other Hitman games so long as you play on the harder difficulties, and go for unseen using no disguises. Even using disguises can be pretty worthless given how easy you're picked out on hard/expert/purist and that 'superpower' instinct stuff doesn't replenish and runs out fast. There are a few AI bugs/glitches you can exploit but it works both ways: on one level I couldn't do unseen + suit only because there are these patients in chairs that can't be moved so if you kill them... they just sit there and the bodies are spotted. These dudes spot you in your suit a mile away so, sadly, I had to resort to using a disguise. Felt dirty.

I agree with most of Sea's thoughts on the game and his critiques are valid. It is basically to the Hitman series what HR was to Deus Ex.

Last edited:

Turjan

Arcane
Thanks. It's nice to hear some first-hand impressions once in a while.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Seems to mostly be similiar to the (albeit short, just rented the game) experiences I had. It's fun and not as derpy as some make it out to be itt. And yes I liked and played the older hitman titles as well.

Vibalist

Arcane
go for unseen using no disguises. Even using disguises can be pretty worthless given how easy you're picked out on hard/expert/purist

And here's the problem. A Hitman game where disguises are worthless is not a Hitman game. If I want a stealther I'll go play a stealther.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's a decent game by 2013 standards but like many other games it's just incredibly disappointing because of its heritage. Shit I would take Invisible War with modern graphics over most new releases, but Invisible War is still a poor sequel to Deus Ex.

The endless sequel judged on its own or not cycle of forum masturbation.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Hitman Absolution...
  • Ditches Hitman's disguise-based stealth for a poor clone of Splinter Cell mechanics
  • Has a significant dearth of open-ended sandbox-style levels and an abundance of highly linear one-or-two-solution levels
  • Has a scoring system which punishes lethality and use of disguises
  • Reduces replayability by putting strict limits on what you start each level with
  • Gives you few to no story reasons to actually go after the assassination targets; usually they're just "guys in the way"
It's not a terrible game, but as someone who expected a Hitman game, I did not get it. It is a much bigger departure from the previous games than even Human Revolution vs. the original Deus Ex.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Disguises were way too easy/convenient in the old games. I'm not saying this mechanic is better but knocking some dude out in a corner, taking his outfit, and having near impunity to walk through 75% or more of a level isn't challenging.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Disguises were way too easy/convenient in the old games. I'm not saying this mechanic is better but knocking some dude out in a corner, taking his outfit, and having near impunity to walk through 75% or more of a level isn't challenging.
The challenge of Hitman was never in the "stealth". It was in coming up with creative ways to take out your target undetected. I would compare it much more to a puzzle game. Very big difference, and in my opinion IO's recasting of Absolution as a "stealth game" was its biggest mistake.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Except it wasn't much of a challenge. Unless you count challenging your patience sitting in your disguise and waiting ten or so minutes for a target to patrol the level and point out the obvious death spots as the challenge.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom