Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Read Heroes Never End (LR: WildStorm)

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Doctor druggie is back? :decline:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Ulminati said:
Doctor druggie is back! :love:

However, no one noticing that Lynch was being mind-manipulated was pure derp. Could see it from like a mile away.

Also, if we were supposed to be shocked at Cain coming back, it didn't quite work, because all I thought was "who?"

SoupNazi

I also thought "who?" but then I accounted it to the fact that I never even read any comics about this universe until Vaarna started posting them, so...

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Jeremiah Caine was the comatose mentor of Black Betty in StormWatch PHD.

EDIT: Moar capefaggotry too: The Warguard were the first to feel the Comet Effect, being the crew of a space station that comet passed. The guy with the helmet, their leader, is none other than Jackson King's old man, Isaiah King.

Also, Doctor Trash vs Doctor Andhaira, which is better and why?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
So. One overpowered superbeing was busy being raped, while another overpowered superbeing was draining the earth of its magic, and the gaseous overpowered superbeing could do nothing about it because of plot contrivance. Meanwhile, the overpowered superbeing that is going mad can only be stopped by an army of overpowered superbeings from BEYOND THE GRAVE.

This is like a refresher course in why I hate overpowered superbeings. There just isn't any way to tell a tension-filled plot except for going either way over the top or to bring in some implausible plot contrivance (like setting Jenny and Arab Doctor on one another quite a few comics back).

SoupNazi

Is there any comics that deals, within some realistic boundaries, with how a superhero would actually deal with their abilities in a real world? Something like Heroes the TV series, except less retarded and an actual comics?

Holy Cow

I thought The High was the most powerful d00d on earth? Majestic looks silly in his costume

anyway, bring forth more overpowered, nonsensical retardation

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Nah, Majestic is the defining overpowered silly guy. That's why they call the top class "Majestic-class".

SoupNazi said:
Is there any comics that deals, within some realistic boundaries, with how a superhero would actually deal with their abilities in a real world? Something like Heroes the TV series, except less retarded and an actual comics?

Dunno about comics, but rather than Heroes, watch Misfits. It's a dark comedy based on the same principle, only much better.

Drakron

Arcane
SoupNazi said:

Empowered?

Vaarna_Aarne

The High is supposed to be on par Majestic in terms of raw power, but the thing that sets Majestic apart from the High is that Madge has fighting skills that exceed those of Zealot and Midnighter, and is a superhumanly intelligent scientist as well (during Alan Moore's WildCATs, he invents and builds a device in "long seconds of research and work" while coming up with the science during those seconds. So yea, Majestic is the defining overpowered superbeing in WildStorm, being a serious version of Silver Age Superman.

During Dan Abnett's run he didn't realign just the Earth's orbit. He did the same for the entire solar system.

But now for a more interesting topic...

SoupNazi said:
Yes, and there is only one answer. One of the best comics ever made (best if you ask me):

Miracleman, written by Alan Moore.

This is where Moore started his deconstruction of the superhero, and where he took it to its limit (he finished Miracleman after Watchmen). It was the first comic to also use the superhero and supervillain as a source of horror (in Moore's words, the inspiration for the comic came when he sat down and thought about how the world would be with superheroes, his conclusion then being that it'd be an unrelenting nightmare). And it was the comic that said "for to be human is not enough when Gods cry war amidst the thunder."

Later continued on almost the same level by the then-unknown noob Neil Gaiman (his best work, if you ask me). Ended up cut short due to publisher bankcruptcy and the most epic legal clusterfuck of all time. Now Marvel Comics owns the rights, and rumour has it they're going to re-publish the Holy Grail of Comics (Miracleman's full Alan Moore run is the most expensive comics run in the world atm due to being rare as fuck), with the rumours circulating that in next month's San Diego ComicCon it's going to be a big bomb Marvel is going to drop. It's also known both Neil Gaiman and Mark Buckingham want to finish their work on the character.

Here's the climax of Moore's run, and one of the most famous and sought-after comic book issues of all time, Miracleman #15. Alan Moore's coup de grace on the superhero. (Also, it'll take me a while to gather up the Authority issues, so this is today's placeholder)

MM15-cv.jpg

MM15-p01.jpg

MM15-p02.jpg

MM15-p03.jpg

MM15-p04.jpg

MM15-p05.jpg

MM15-p06.jpg

MM15-p07.jpg

MM15-p08.jpg

MM15-p09.jpg

MM15-p10.jpg

MM15-p11.jpg

MM15-p12.jpg

MM15-p13.jpg

MM15-p14.jpg

MM15-p15.jpg

MM15-p16.jpg

MM15-p17.jpg

MM15-p18.jpg

MM15-p19.jpg

MM15-p20-21.jpg

MM15-p22.jpg

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Maaaang.

I've seen Miracle Man mentioned here before. RPGCodex is pretty much my only contact with the comic book world, I don't have any friends geeky enough to be into that. Looks like it'll be worth checking out though.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Brother None said:
Maaaang.

I've seen Miracle Man mentioned here before. RPGCodex is pretty much my only contact with the comic book world, I don't have any friends geeky enough to be into that. Looks like it'll be worth checking out though.

I've read the whole thing a couple of years back when someone posted first issues of MM here. The whole series is awesome, though, unfortunately lacks resolution as due to some copyrights issues the franchise was discontinued.

Vaarna_Aarne

Mrowak said:
Brother None said:
Maaaang.

I've read the whole thing a couple of years back when someone posted first issues of MM here. The whole series is awesome, though, unfortunately lacks resolution as due to some copyrights issues the franchise was discontinued.
That someone was yours truly, and I actually posted the whole thing too. You can probably dig it up in Public Library. Or just go to that PB account of mine.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Stereotypical Villain said:
Miracle Man is probably the reason I hate super heroes and their villainous counterparts.

Because MM was so good, I gather? :smug:

Possibly.

The comic shows just how retarded the world would be if it was being jerked around by some nigh-invulnerable shithead who believes himself to be a god, along with the alien filth who stands at his side. That's why I find the human "villains" who stand up to these self-proclaimed messiahs much more appealing.

Lex Luthor, Henry Bendix... Always put your money down on the pure-bred humans who doesn't need eye-lasers to kick your ass.

Vaarna_Aarne

Then again, that was kinda the point of Miracleman.

Not that Lex Luthor was right, but that Miracleman is doing the wrong thing in the end. Then again, the key part of his character is that he's a good person, but he still lacks the strength of character and moral backbone to be a real superhero, and only one of his companions who even tries to be a superhero is Dicky Dauntless (who appears to be an actual superhero). The point was that Miracleman is a superhuman, but not a superhero.

Btw, got the stuff, update next page.

Vaarna_Aarne

Alright, update after my session of Champions Online and Victoria 2 (those Koreans will kiss the Kaiser's feet).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom