Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hello, new to site and looking for recommendations for crpg

wanderlust96

Literate
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and I was thinking I could ask you guys for some recommendations for CRPG games since it's a genre I'm really enjoying but can't seem to find a lot of games that I actually thoroughly enjoy.
For reference I am a really big fan of the original Fallout, I really enjoyed age of decadence and I'm liking Expeditions: Rome a lot. I don't really enjoy party games but I can find them fun if they let me customize characters a lot, I don't like preset characters even if they have their own stories and quests. I like preplanning my parties to make them like a complete entity. I know a lot of the games or tried them so I'm mainly looking for some I might have missed.

I've played Path of Exile, Pathfinder, Baldur's Gate, Fallout, Age of Decadence and maybe some more. Tiranny is one I might try again sometime. Thanks a lot guys, I'll read every comment and answer if I feel I can add something.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and I was thinking I could ask you guys for some recommendations for CRPG games since it's a genre I'm really enjoying but can't seem to find a lot of games that I actually thoroughly enjoy.
For reference I am a really big fan of the original Fallout, I really enjoyed age of decadence and I'm liking Expeditions: Rome a lot. I don't really enjoy party games but I can find them fun if they let me customize characters a lot, I don't like preset characters even if they have their own stories and quests. I like preplanning my parties to make them like a complete entity. I know a lot of the games or tried them so I'm mainly looking for some I might have missed.

I've played Path of Exile, Pathfinder, Baldur's Gate, Fallout, Age of Decadence and maybe some more. Tiranny is one I might try again sometime. Thanks a lot guys, I'll read every comment and answer if I feel I can add something.
Sup, king. Nice to see ya round these here parts. Tell me, have you played Cyberpunk yet? There is a brand new DLC, too!

Turn_BASED

Educated
If you liked Age of Decadence’s combat, try Tunnel Dungeon Rats. You will not be disappointed.

Last edited:

wanderlust96

Literate

Sup, king. Nice to see ya round these here parts. Tell me, have you played Cyberpunk yet? There is a brand new DLC, too!
The AAA game? Not really, I couldn't run it in my PC unfortunately x(, I've seen some stuff about it and it looks really polished now, so it seems enticing.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

The AAA game? Not really, I couldn't run it in my PC unfortunately x(, I've seen some stuff about it and it looks really polished now, so it seems enticing.
Don't worry, G. Just buy it now and let it age like fine wine, until you're able to run it. I know you wanna.

wanderlust96

Literate
Tiranny is one I might try again sometime.

Absolutely avoid Tyranny, DOS or any of the Pathfinder or Pillars games.

Play Arcanum or ToEE. Or just go here (https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9453).
Okay, thanks a lot. Yeah Arcanum seemed really appealing to me because of the setting and the whole clash of high fantasy with industrial revolution and technology. And I don't know much about ToEE, actually just googled it, so I might give it a try, it seems interesting.

wanderlust96

Literate

Don't worry, G. Just buy it now and let it age like fine wine, until you're able to run it. I know you wanna.
I am from Argentina, so games are really expensive :(. Might try to get it on a discount later on though, thanks a lot.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
If you liked Age of Decadence’s combat, try Tunnel Rats. You will not be disappointed.
Tunnel Rats? :)

But yes, Dungeon Rats is pretty good. Underrail and Wasteland 2 seem to fit your criteria and also share combat similarities with the ones you mentioned, the former is single character and you create the bigger half of your party in the beginning of the latter. Wait for a sale for Wasteland 2 though'.

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
if serious then the two previous expeditions games are even better

if not then realms of arkania hd is the best

wanderlust96

Literate
If you liked Age of Decadence’s combat, try Tunnel Rats. You will not be disappointed.

But yes, Dungeon Rats is pretty good. Underrail and Wasteland 2 seem to fit your criteria and also share combat similarities with the ones you mentioned, the former is single character and you create the bigger half of your party in the beginning of the latter. Wait for a sale for Wasteland 2 though'.
I forgot to add Underrail, really loved that game, one of my favs tbf.

agris

Arcane
Patron
CRPG games
:killit:

edit:

Agree on DR and UR, WL2 is incoherent middling garbo though. Save your energies for better games.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
If you'd prefer to not play party-based games, you should check out Arcanum and Underrail. Most of the best CRPGs are party-based though.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Also wanderlust96 if you liked Fallout, check out the total conversion Fallout 1.5: Resurrection. It’s quite good, almost feels like a Black Isle-made Fallout game.

Almost.

wanderlust96

Literate
I'm gonna be honest, my problem while playing party based rpgs is that I have too much trouble when I make my party, since I want everything to be perfect and suit my idea of a team and then I end up with way too many options, that's what happened to me at least with games like Baldur's Gate 2 or some examples, I find that there is so many options for each char that I end up not understanding how to build my guys. Might have to do that I have never played a DND type game before and I never really got into the multi classing stuff, I am kinda stoopid not gonna lie.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom