Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Helldivers 2

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I've seen some of my internet acquaintances team up to play it and mock me for not being interested, so obviously it was going to be pozzed
there's a Jew hidden in every multiplayer FOTM slop

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Steam reviews are already getting changed from negative to positive, and I checked on https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/ - praising Sony for listening to its fans and 'democracy' and telling others to do the same because Sony is great and we all love them. Also posts that 'remind' people to change reviews so negatives are removed.

I'm pretty sure if I read more posts or comments I'd be finding people who first returned and repurchased the game.

Now I feel bad for Sony giving up and just hope they have something even worse in plans.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Steam reviews are already getting changed from negative to positive, and I checked on https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/ - praising Sony for listening to its fans and 'democracy' and telling others to do the same because Sony is great and we all love them. Also posts that 'remind' people to change reviews so negatives are removed.

I'm pretty sure if I read more posts or comments I'd be finding people who first returned and repurchased the game.

Now I feel bad for Sony giving up and just hope they have something even worse in plans.
I love billionarie company now.

Learned
But Resetera told me to leave big corpos alone and complaining doesn't work anyway. I'm so confused. But seriously, they backpedaled this one time but the never ending quest to implement walled gardens, mobile-tier pricing policies, exclusives, draconian DRM, anti modding "features" and of course their attempt to normalize all this console shit on PC continues.

But Resetera told me to leave big corpos alone and complaining doesn't work anyway. I'm so confused. But seriously, they backpedaled this one time but the never ending quest to implement walled gardens, mobile-tier pricing policies, exclusives, draconian DRM, anti modding "features" and of course their attempt to normalize all this console shit on PC continues.

Steam is a walled garden, and it is a form of DRM. It’s whole original purpose before they started selling games on there (or at least third party games) that you pretend own was a form of DRM for PC games. Steam itself being a form of DRM makes it kind of funny that for years now PC games get a secondary form of DRM slapped on them by the publishers.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
This whole mess makes me regret getting Uncharted and God of War on Fanatical/Steam, in retrospect I should have gotten them on GOG.I know they are single player but who knows the bound of corporate stupidity.It also makes me nervous about getting Ghost of Tsushima,I know they tweeted the PSN account will only be needed for multiplayer and not for single player but you never know

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Steam is a walled garden
It isn't entirely though. Plenty of games are sold outside of steam as well as within, and none are restricted from doing so. I've no problem with steam requiring people to have a steam account to buy games through steam, as that's the bare minimum for any sort of control over hackers, bots, scammers and so forth. The thing Sony, Nintendo and Epic do where they enforce contracts that prevent developers from selling on other platforms besides their own is where I draw the line. That's straight up anti-competition shit, and hurts me as a consumer regardless of whether I buy from them or not.

Steam has it's shitty aspects, but it's done more good for gaming than bad by a longshot. We wouldn't have a proper indie scene at all today without it.

Chuck Norris

Augur
This was a huge victory. I wish it gives PC gamers to confidence to go after any other company that try to push their shitty launchers.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
But Resetera told me to leave big corpos alone and complaining doesn't work anyway. I'm so confused.

To be fair, even Resetera is quite split on this one. It's mostly the usual Sony fanboys who are hand-wringing about poor Sony being bullied by capital G gamers and how this is going to have dire repercussions for the gaming industry at large.

Zlaja

Arcane
Oh crap, the fun with this one is over, I guess. The shitstorm was fun while it lasted. Time to wrap this thread up. Next!

ferratilis

Magister
tenor.gif

It's not over. Some words were posted on twatter, but nothing has been done yet. The game is still unavailable in 177 countries, PSN login is not required for now, but we all know that this was just a test. Sony won't give up on finding other ways to increase profits. That PS launcher that was talked about could still be coming, along with a PS+ requirement in the future.

I can't believe Steam users are so gullible that they are already changing their reviews. People deserve whatever these companies do to them.

Steam is a walled garden
It isn't entirely though. Plenty of games are sold outside of steam as well as within, and none are restricted from doing so. I've no problem with steam requiring people to have a steam account to buy games through steam, as that's the bare minimum for any sort of control over hackers, bots, scammers and so forth. The thing Sony, Nintendo and Epic do where they enforce contracts that prevent developers from selling on other platforms besides their own is where I draw the line. That's straight up anti-competition shit, and hurts me as a consumer regardless of whether I buy from them or not.

Steam has it's shitty aspects, but it's done more good for gaming than bad by a longshot. We wouldn't have a proper indie scene at all today without it.

I’m hard pressed to think of anything good Steam did for gaming. It’s just so ubiquitous to PC gamers now that they overlook everything horrible about it. That and when it started Valve was in that kind of Blizzard place Blizzard once enjoyed where tons of PC gamers would suck them off without thinking about it. Shit, Steam is essentially the reason physical media is dead for PC gaming now. Steam started becoming a third party key code in the late 2000s, the first non Valve game I remember needing an online digital handshake to even start was Spore Creature Creator, and that’s the way PC gaming went to the benefit of Steam. I mean why even have physical releases after that point when you’re going to require an online check-in. Physical releases where basically just a formality after that point for a bit longer because downloading a whole game could still be a bitch.

Like everything good for the consumer I can think of that someone may say Steam did was shit that was going on before Steam got in on it.

Steam is exactly the same thing those other companies do.

It’s not like Nintendo, Sony, and EPIC force studios to make exclusive deals with them. And without those deals, some of those games may not even get made. I can see not liking exclusives when it comes to consoles, because that means you’ve got to buy hardware. But this thing about being pissy about EPIC exclusives when you’ve got a PC that can play the game I do not really get. Like I could get it if you also hate Steam and are only getting shit off GOG, but otherwise it’s just kind of like: Shut the fuck up.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I’m hard pressed to think of anything good Steam did for gaming.
It gives massive marketing to small developers that would otherwise be forgotten in obscurity. Those developers never could have afforded physical media to begin with. It's not like Walmart was ever going to stock a game like Sunless Sea or Knights of the Chalice or Slay the Spire or Terraria or Rimworld or... etc. The indie scene on steam has been killing it for the last decade or so, and it wouldn't have had a chance without it.

Steam has also been an excellent, stable platform for both discussion of games (both reviews and getting help, either gameplay wise or bugfixing/technical stuff) and modding. Yeah, forums existed before steam, but they were very niche and if signing up for steam is annoying, how do you feel about signing up for a different unique forum for every fucking game you want to even ask a question about?

As a platform, it's also attracted quite a few remakes/remasters/ports of old games that would have otherwise been lost to time. I'm not exactly thrilled with a lot of those, but it's better than nothing.

It's also made PC a more attractive platform. If Fromsoft didn't have Steam, there likely wouldn't have been any PC ports for any of their games, they'd all just be Sony exclusives and we'd be sitting around using emulators to play anything other than shitty diablo/doom clone #3314, which was pretty much the state of PC gaming before Steam came along, outside a handful of exceptions.

It's vastly improved multiplayer, making it much easier to organize and play games with friends. Sure, there were means before, but it's a hell of a lot easier to get a tech illiterate moron into a game by sending him a game invite on steam than sending him 3 pages of instructions on how to set up his firewall correctly.

tenor.gif

It's not over. Some words were posted on twatter, but nothing has been done yet. The game is still unavailable in 177 countries, PSN login is not required for now, but we all know that this was just a test. Sony won't give up on finding other ways to increase profits. That PS launcher that was talked about could still be coming, along with a PS+ requirement in the future.

I can't believe Steam users are so gullible that they are already changing their reviews. People deserve whatever these companies do to them.

They’re not going to do a PS+ requirement on PC. That would completely tank any Sony PC release. If they were thinking about doing something like that they’d just do something like make it a subscription based game like every MMORPG used to be, and make it “free” with PS+. Although if you could get people to pay a subscription for a single game than there really wouldn’t be much point in the PS+ trick, especially if it meant you could hook some people for two subscriptions.

If Sony really want people to use PSN accounts on PC they’d do some free-to-play game that needed a PSN account.

Chuck Norris

Augur
Steam is a walled garden

I’m hard pressed to think of anything good Steam did for gaming. It’s just so ubiquitous to PC gamers now that they overlook everything horrible about it. That and when it started Valve was in that kind of Blizzard place Blizzard once enjoyed where tons of PC gamers would suck them off without thinking about it. Shit, Steam is essentially the reason physical media is dead for PC gaming now. Steam started becoming a third party key code in the late 2000s, the first non Valve game I remember needing an online digital handshake to even start was Spore Creature Creator, and that’s the way PC gaming went to the benefit of Steam. I mean why even have physical releases after that point when you’re going to require an online check-in. Physical releases where basically just a formality after that point for a bit longer because downloading a whole game could still be a bitch.

Like everything good for the consumer I can think of that someone may say Steam did was shit that was going on before Steam got in on it.

Steam is exactly the same thing those other companies do.

It’s not like Nintendo, Sony, and EPIC force studios to make exclusive deals with them. And without those deals, some of those games may not even get made. I can see not liking exclusives when it comes to consoles, because that means you’ve got to buy hardware. But this thing about being pissy about EPIC exclusives when you’ve got a PC that can play the game I do not really get. Like I could get it if you also hate Steam and are only getting shit off GOG, but otherwise it’s just kind of like: Shut the fuck up.
Steam had very little to do with the death of physical release of games. Because physical game releases existed for a long time after Steam was invented and they were complimentary.

The main contributing factor to the death of physical game releases was the war between game publishers and retails stores that rented or re-sold used games. Basically selling or renting used games provided revenue for retail stores like Gamestop, but provided nothing for the publishers. That compelled them to double down on activation codes or live-service games or games that need constant updates, therefore ushering the new era of gaming, in which everything is very reliant on the internet, making physical releases irrelevent.

With Steam or without Steam, this would have happened.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I’m hard pressed to think of anything good Steam did for gaming.
It gives massive marketing to small developers that would otherwise be forgotten in obscurity. Those developers never could have afforded physical media to begin with. It's not like Walmart was ever going to stock a game like Sunless Sea or Knights of the Chalice or Slay the Spire or Terraria or Rimworld or... etc. The indie scene on steam has been killing it for the last decade or so, and it wouldn't have had a chance without it.

Steam has also been an excellent, stable platform for both discussion of games (both reviews and getting help, either gameplay wise or bugfixing/technical stuff) and modding. Yeah, forums existed before steam, but they were very niche and if signing up for steam is annoying, how do you feel about signing up for a different unique forum for every fucking game you want to even ask a question about?

As a platform, it's also attracted quite a few remakes/remasters/ports of old games that would have otherwise been lost to time. I'm not exactly thrilled with a lot of those, but it's better than nothing.

It's also made PC a more attractive platform. If Fromsoft didn't have Steam, there likely wouldn't have been any PC ports for any of their games, they'd all just be Sony exclusives and we'd be sitting around using emulators to play anything other than shitty diablo/doom clone #3314, which was pretty much the state of PC gaming before Steam came along, outside a handful of exceptions.

It's vastly improved multiplayer, making it much easier to organize and play games with friends. Sure, there were means before, but it's a hell of a lot easier to get a tech illiterate moron into a game by sending him a game invite on steam than sending him 3 pages of instructions on how to set up his firewall correctly.
I agree with this, however. They did kill off physical media for PC. I truly wish there was a way around Steam keys linked to only one profile since as a collector (of games I really really like) this sucks so much.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The main contributing factor to the death of physical game releases was the war between game publishers and retails stores that rented or re-sold used games. Basically selling or renting used games provided revenue for retail stores like Gamestop, but provided nothing for the publishers. That compelled them to double down on activation codes or live-service games or games that need constant updates, therefore ushering the new era of gaming, in which everything is very reliant on the internet, making physical releases irrelevent.
I guess you are correct. It's why they hate key-sellers so much as well. These work like the reselling of games.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
IF the PS launcher on PC is real then they need to deliver exclusives from FROM (Demon Souls and Bloodbourne) for people to consider making account there.

anyway new cape skin dropped
Steam exclusive
GM4EMGyWgAE6jIW

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom