Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Helldivers 2

Tehdagah

Arcane
All they had to do was nothing, just sit back and bask in the laurels. But Snoy just couldn't do that, could they?

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/sony-caught-lying-about-the-psn-account-requirement-on-pc/

Sony caught lying about the PSN account requirement on PC​

May 5, 2024 John Papadopoulos 3 Comments

A lot has happened in the past couple of days regarding the PSN account requirement for Helldivers 2. According to the devs, Sony forced them to make a PSN account mandatory on PC/Steam. Not only that but Sony was caught lying about the PSN account requirement on its PlayStation games on PC.
In 2022, Sony said PC gamers won’t need to log in to the PlayStation Network. They made it clear that when playing a PlayStation game on a PC, signing in to PSN is an optional choice. This info is from Sony’s own PlayStation Network Support page which launched in 2022.

PSN PC original statement
Later on, Sony quietly changed that page. Now, it says that for some PlayStation games, you might have to sign in and connect to a PSN account. This is completely different from what Sony was claiming back in 2022.

PSN PC revised statement
The fact that Sony has secretly edited that page is not what you’d expect from such a big company. This adds to why PC gamers are upset with Sony. Helldivers 2 has been fine without needing a PSN account for three months. So, there is no reason at all to force a PSN account on PC gamers.
And you know what’s funnier? Sony has banned someone who has used a VPN to create a PSN account to play Helldivers 2 on PC, in a country that does not officially support PSN. This basically means that in countries that do not officially support PSN, you’ll have to either break the PSN TOS and hope for the best, or stop playing the game they have bought.
For what it’s worth, Arrowhead admitted that Sony is the one that made the PSN account requirement mandatory in Helldivers 2. The devs are currently looking into better solutions to this. They also claimed that if Sony does not provide a fix for the countries that do not support PSN, they won’t likely make that requirement mandatory for those players.
PC gamers are not happy about this whole thing, and they’ve shown this via Steam’s Review system. Right now, the game’s reviews on Steam aren’t great. But still, lots of people are playing it. So, this could mean two things. Either Steam users are simply whining, or they’ll quit playing when that PSN requirement goes into full effect.
As I’ve already said, Ghost of Tsushima will not require a PSN account for its single-player campaign mode. However, for accessing its multiplayer features, it will require one.
"Sony said back in 2022" isn't a good argument, Helldivers II wasn't even a thing back then. Let's see the game's Steam page in january 2024, even before its release:

IMG-9869.jpg

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Yeah, I’m aware the Switch hasn’t surpassed the DS in sales. In my post that you’re quoting I said it hasn’t surpassed the DS in sales. You’re post reads like you read what I said and thought I said the total opposite thing.
Lookng back, it was ambiguous, but my point was that it hasn't surpassed their best generation where they had both a home console and a handheld, despite being "both". In fact, it really hasn't come close to the DS/Wii Era.

The Wii wasn’t their last home console before the Switch, the WiiU was, and the WiiU bombed harder than the GameCube, and the GameCube was in third place in a generation that had the original Xbox. The Switch has also surpassed the total combined sales of its two predecessors: The WiiU and 3DS.
The WiiU was poorly marketed. No one knew what it was. I didn't really know what it was, but I didn't really have any consoles when it came out other than the old ones living in boxes that I'd bought years ago. The 3DS was also seen as largely iterative with a gimmick that not many people saw the need for, which is the main feature that Nintendo was pushing. Also, the 3DS had a disasterous launch being overpriced and both it and the WiiU had a really bad launch title line up. Nintendo made a lot of mistakes with these generations. Honestly, instead of showing off the 3D in the 3DS, they probably should have shown off the interactivity of the device with features like Streetpass, the AR which they didn't do much with, and so on. Still, the 3DS did a respectable 76 million units sold. The WiiU, not so much with it's 14 million units.

It's kind of interesting, though, that the WiiU's library are some of the best selling and most popular games on the Switch. I really doubt many people know how many of their favorite Switch games are actually WiiU titles - like Mario Kart 8, which you mentioned. Which, by the way, is fantastic.
It doesn’t need to fit into some kid’s pocket, as long as it can fit into a backpack it will be perfectly fine as a handheld system. The Switch is smaller than an iPad, and people can easily carry around an iPad on the go.
Yet even those who don't carry around much smaller phones and tend to use those instead and not even as a phone for the most part.

I'm going to still stand by my point that Sony is poised to stomp Nintendo if they release a dedicated hand held and stop fucking things up for themselves like they're doing with Stellar Blade and Helldivers 2. Sony is a prime example of being in a great position to capture a huge marketshare, but there's no way they're going to do that if they keep screwing people over, and baiting and switching games. Stellar Blade and Helldivers 2 are both "success stories" for Sony, yet Sony seems to want to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Stellar Blade had a lot of pre-orders, especially with their marketing that they weren't going to censor the game and it would be the same across all the regions which turned out to be false. Helldivers 2 was highly successful, which means the eyes are on it, and then Sony decides to fling sand in those eyes. It's like they could win, but just don't want to win.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
https://www.eurogamer.net/helldiver...n-linking-requirement-rolls-out?view=comments

Iraya avatar
Iraya 0501
3 hours ago
Where are the commenters from the older posts telling people it wasn’t a “big deal”? The world doesn’t revolve around Europe and the Global North. People from colonizer countries are always prioritized, so they think it’s “easy” to just sign up for a PSN account. The simplest thing to have done would have been to sympathize with the countries losing access to the game, but instead, you guys had to be a tw*t about it.
You might say, “oh, it’s just a game.” Indeed, it is just a game—one that you can play while people from other countries cannot.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
https://www.resetera.com/threads/he...here-psn-isnt-available.862554/post-122517354

[IMG alt="neoak"]https://www.resetera.com/data/avatar/31514430353/2299-m.jpg[/IMG]

neoak

It is a corporation issue. But the loudest voices complaining about it aren't the ones being directly affected by this. And it ends up screwing over the people who would be, but have managed to get by just fine. Do you really think people from countries like mine are so helpless that we couldn't figure out how to make accounts based in other countries so we can access games? That's infantilizing and insulting as hell.

Yes, publishers/corporations need to fucking do better. But capital G Gamers, too. Stop using smaller, less fortunate developing countries as their fucking crutches and convenient excuses whenever something like this happen and they just want to stick it to the corpos. People like me already got screwed over thanks to Steam users from privileged countries region-hopping to take advantage of regional pricing, ffs.
Ah yes, you think we are trying to do the white man saviour thing or something....

ferratilis

Magister

Bulo

Scholar
Love this game. Have over a hundred hours in it. Couldn't care less about the PSN controversy, although generally I agree with the anti-Swede sentiment

Hellion

Arcane
According to this tweet, this is all just the first step to Sony requiring PC users to pay for a PSN subscription in order to be able to play online multiplayer on PC.

This should go extremely well.

The Decline

Arcane
According to this tweet, this is all just the first step to Sony requiring PC users to pay for a PSN subscription in order to be able to play online multiplayer on PC.

This should go extremely well.

Good lord the replies are all a bunch of consoletards sucking Sony's dick.

I like Sony. They don't even pretend to like Pro-Customer values or Pandering Leftist values, they just care about money, good ol' capitalismus.

And thanks to our collective God, which is real and not a made up, the one true god: Free Market hu Akbar, Sony will be left unscathed with this.

/vg/ is having fun at least

Oh thank god. There is still good in this world. FUCK YOU SPITZ I KNOW YOURE STILL HERE! YOU WERE A HACK. YOU'LL ALWAYS BE A HACK. YOU NEVER, EVER DESERVED THE POSITION YOU HAD AND YOU HAVE. NO. SKILLS. BACK TO MODERATING PEDO DISCORDS, SHIT BREATH. I STAND BRIGHT IN THE LIGHT OF GOD AND WATCH AS YOU ARE CAST FROM THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN. AND I LAUGH.

AH HAHAHA!

Mauman

Learned
They need to fire almost every CM they have (except maybe Twinbeard, maybe) for utterly failiing their jobs. They also need to fire their discord moderator since while it's fine not to like someone, it's not fine to make up shit about them like calling them a sex pest and claiming they had people attack the CMS.

Seriously, don't like Grummz? That's fine. Just don't libel him (or anyone) ya dumb fuck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom