Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearts of Iron IV - The Ultimate WWII Strategy Game

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Btw... since the latest DLC fucked up peace conferences and the good old Player-Led Peace Conferences is no longer working properly:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2793024173

This does the same thing, apparently, but works by disabling peace AI altogether in peace deals that have players present.

Also, if you use overhaul mods like Kaiserreich or RT56, many of them have that very mod (or similar ones that un-fuck the By Blood Alone peace deals) built in, but need to be enabled in the game options before you start.
I overlooked that last part for quite a while and wondered why the hell it's not working right...
:negative:

Last edited:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
iBM26p.jpeg

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
One funny thing about how I play this game is that I always pick it up wanting to do one more USSR playthrough, always say "next one I do will be UK", but by then I've had enough and I leave it for later. But this "later" is usually the next time I want to do a USSR playthrough, and the circle repeats...

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Only game that's entertaining to watch, so streamers et all give it popularity, I think.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
How is this still gaining player numbers when all other Paradox games are crashing heavily?
HoIIV mods are something entirely different. There are zombie mods, pony, fallout, WWI, WWIII and miriad other mods. And the base game hit the perfect balance of automation vs micro. Don't want to micro - leave it to battleplanner. Something Victoria 3 incompetent progressive devs never learned.

None

Scholar
How is this still gaining player numbers when all other Paradox games are crashing heavily?
In addition to the usual subject matter/mods points, I think part of it is that Arheo may be Paradox's best current game director. Can't say I agree with all his decisions or the direction of the game, but comes across as having an actual unified vision for the game unlike other titles.

Also, a game like EU4 is too old to attract new players at this point. Personally I enjoy it, but it is so bloated at this point that a new comer would be understandably intimidated by all they have to learn. Other titles just come across as having failed to launch, for various reasons.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Is there traits for research/production whatever this clusterfuck even is? I don't want to press more increase stat buttons I just wanted to do some encirclements so that's gonna be a nope from me.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I like it, at least in theory, can't speak to it in practice. Not sure how useful the mechanic is for smaller nations, but as the bigger ones you can kinda do nifty stuff like distribute bonuses and have certain manufacturers make certain items for high specialization. Also not sure how "different" these industries are from each other across nations or if it's more like the standard focus tree slapped across the whole transom.

Tyrr

Liturgist
I just saw there is a new dlc.
Oh well, I'm still playing with 1.7.1 and have no plans to change that.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah the last DLC worth bothering with was probably Man the Guns. Anything after that is laughably bad, the feature bloat is real.

Are you saying that deciding between which style belt buckle your uniforms use and what theoretical concepts your officers are trained in isn't interesting gameplay? Before war starts and you hulk smash every other AI trivially because the AIs are retards

Doctor Gong

Literate
Like most paradox games with a lot of DLC, I have to ask if say, the Hearts of Iron IV - Starter Edition (HOI IV, Expansion - Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor, Expansion - Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory, Expansion - Hearts of Iron IV: Waking the Tiger, Hearts of Iron IV, Hearts of Iron IV: Anniversary Pack) worth a play?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Like most paradox games with a lot of DLC, I have to ask if say, the Hearts of Iron IV - Starter Edition (HOI IV, Expansion - Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor, Expansion - Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory, Expansion - Hearts of Iron IV: Waking the Tiger, Hearts of Iron IV, Hearts of Iron IV: Anniversary Pack) worth a play?
Man the guns, La resistance (so-so), and No step back are the worthwhile expansions. The "country packs" you can pick from according to your interest in playing in a particular region or with a particular country.

"Man the guns" makes naval combat meaningful, "La resistance" adds the spying and partisan movements minigames, and "No step back" adds an actual simulation of supplying the armies. The vanilla simulation for supply is an absolute joke.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
mLfwJiK.png

Who would start WWII against who?

Would UK fight against Poland, or would Russia fight against Poland? (Also wasn't Latvia somewhere in that area?)

Also ComChi got invitation into allies.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
mLfwJiK.png

Who would start WWII against who?

Would UK fight against Poland, or would Russia fight against Poland? (Also wasn't Latvia somewhere in that area?)

Also ComChi got invitation into allies.

In my games Soviet Union usually attacks Poland in 1940 at the latest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom