Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Hearts Of Iron "Darkest Hour" - Broken Trade System?

Dumbfuck
Codex 2012
Got this game a few weeks ago and just got around to playing it

Got a mod called World In Flames II - All-In-One which is supposed to be the best/most downloaded WW2 mod

Problem is I can't trade shit. They added this stockpile system for resources means you are limited to a month's worth of each resource. Above that small amount your resources just instantly degrade, ie get wasted. As Canada you overproduce pretty much everything and the point in the previous games was you could trade that for supplies and better relations

Somehow nobody wants to accept any deals. I offer UK a shit load of rare materials, oil, whatever and they won't accept any of (0% negotiation chance) it for even 0.1 money (ie nothing) when they have 20 to spare. I started donating resources for free (ie nothing in exchange) and they accept it... for 2 days before cancelling. Whenever somebody cancels a deal (ie getting stuff for free) your relations get a -10 hit. Meaning you are alienating everybody and making the whole world hate you just because you want to give away free stuff

Devs say they did this to 'fix' the AI which previously you could get good deals from by micro managing

They say use the "auto-trade" system which works "great". This means letting the AI blindly handle all your trades for you. Maybe if it works that could be cool

Except it doesn't work. After a couple months in the only trades the AI managed to find is with Qatar and Ireland for some microscopic amount, meaning decimal points of resource amounts, and 99% of your over production still being thrown away

Seems "auto-trade" works OK for the actually AI opponents. Maybe it also depends on your country, and all the deals are automatically made by the major countries instantly when the game begins, so when it gets to you everybody has all their needs filled

On the official forum I've seen reports of players with East Euro countries actually having revolutions because they can't get enough energy to work a fraction of their factories, not being able to produce even consumer goods sending dissent rocketing

Anybody else have this happen? Is there a setting that can be changed to fix it, preferably revert to Armaggedon trade? Or is this just how the game is "meant to be"?

exe

Augur
Never had that problem with Darkest Hour or any of it's mods. Never played World in Flames, since I heard it's railroaded bullshit with massive cheats und spawning in divisions for the AI, so it's probably just the mod.

Cassidy

Arcane
The best mods for Darkest Hour are Fatherland and Fallout Doomsday which also is a better Fallout game than anything Bethesda released. NWO2 is good for what it is but not as cool as Alternate History where the side that would prevent Europe from being flooded with durka durka mudslimes and demographically exterminated, give Zyklon-Ben to multikult progressive race traitors and ruthlessly close all European borders for "refugees" won WW2.

:flamesaw:

Dumbfuck
Codex 2012
Never had that problem with Darkest Hour or any of it's mods. Never played World in Flames, since I heard it's railroaded bullshit with massive cheats und spawning in divisions for the AI, so it's probably just the mod.
Yep, I thought it might be the mod

So you just let AI handle it? What other mod do you recommend?

Disappointed because took so long to set up and looked originally promising (lots of decisions, like invest in research, search for oil etc)

Dumbfuck
Codex 2012
The best mods for Darkest Hour are Fatherland and Fallout Doomsday which also is a better Fallout game than anything Bethesda released. NWO2 is good for what it is but not as cool as Alternate History where the side that would prevent Europe from being flooded with durka durka mudslimes and demographically exterminated, give Zyklon-Ben to multikult progressive race traitors and ruthlessly close all European borders for "refugees" won WW2.

:flamesaw:
I saw Fatherland and looked interesting setting. How is it to play? Sometimes setting does not make a game (I played Domination of the Draka and Kaissereich on Armageddon)

Is it fairly complete or quite buggy?

Cassidy

Arcane
I saw Fatherland and looked interesting setting. How is it to play? Sometimes setting does not make a game (I played Domination of the Draka and Kaissereich on Armageddon)

Is it fairly complete or quite buggy?

There have been multiple updates since the version I'm currently playing, but it is almost like Historical Stony Road minus AI cheats, and it would probably be very interesting in a multiplayer game as well, if asymmetric. For Germany the most likely WW3 scenario in this mod will involve Maoist China and Soviet Union leftovers invading with massive armies from the east while the USA and UK will rapidly wipe out most of West Germany with nuclear warheads, a scenario where AI Germany always loses. Playing with Immigrants-Free France (instead of "Free" France), which is no longer a puppet of Germany but an independent far right French government must be interesting as well, but it may be quite hard given the starting situation.

It's not a scenario completely guided by events like Kaiserreich and its older version never crashed when I played it. There are multiple WW3 flashpoints, all of them working properly.

exe

Augur
Generally I set up my trades myself at the beginning, once I got a surplus I just ignore trading, since it's really tedious. The AI makes too stupid trades from my experience.

If you want Cold War Tech, Fatherland is probably the best, although it's still WIP. Germany gets -200 IC from the start, even the AI, which cripples it, especially once nukes will fly. If you don't play Germany, it's best to deactivate nukes, because they will just break the game. The AI ignores most of the IC-penalty from dissent, but will keep all the combat penalty. So Germany will quickly get to 85-90 dissent and then all their troops get a -45% combat penalty on everything, plus losing like 1/3 of their IC. Ai just can't defend against nukes.
Fallout is great too, although the last version I played was for DH 1.2
Of course there is still Kaiserreich, which is the biggest, most polished and probably best mod for DH. Lot of playable countries, lot of event and decisions. Most major countries have lot of event chains that let you go fascist or commie, isolationiest or maximum conquest. You can also play as the reformed Mongol Horde :D

Dumbfuck
Codex 2012
Any good 'realistic' (at least starting situation) earlier start mods, other than WIF?

Would like to play WW2 before getting into something made up

Reason for WIF was 1933 start date. Let's you customize your country before things kick off

Know there was a 1934 Spanish made mod for Arm (w quite different reworked tech system) but didn't see it for DH

Cassidy

Arcane
Vanilla Darkest Hour has a WW1 and a 1933 scenario by default. There is also Arms, Armistice and Revolution that adds several start dates during the 1920s and events for alternate WW1 outcomes and The Grand Campaign that merges AAR and NWO 2 Historical Cold War and Cold War Tech Tree Expansion into a megamod that allows the game to be played from the 1910s to the end of the Cold War, although there isn't much of a point in that given this isn't a game like Victoria 2.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Choosing which version of DH to fire up is done via a dropdown in the launcher, so no worries about mods breaking.

In addition to that, DH still picks 1.04 version by default. You have to specifically switch to 1.05 to play that.

I am currently playing the latest Total Realism Project which runs on 1.04. If anyone is interested in pultiplayer in the WW2 period, I'm available.

Is there even a reason to still play 1.04, aside maybe from old mods? I'm playing 1.05 and so far I haven't seen or heard of a single bug. They even fixed the AMD Cards problem.

I also think, I could be wrong, the game runs faster now

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom