Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearts of Iron 3

sheek

Arbiter
There are about 50 scripted events in the game total.

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
Trash said:
So they now followed the EU3 school of historical adherence or do historical events still happen like they did in HOI2?

Szioul said:
I'm not entirely sure. I had Soviet Union never declare war on Poland after Germany did early 1939, instead they gained the rest of Poland the second Germany took Warsaw. Shortly after that they gave ultimatums to Baltic countries, who immediately folded and Winter War started in fucking July. They might've been bugs, or the AI been scripted to act unhistorically according to some unknown parameters.

Well, even things in HOI2 had a certain amount of leeway, like the AI Japan's Pearl Harbor could fire earlier or later than normal, or Poland could cede Danzig to you as Germany, so I can only assume it does as much in 3...

Erzherzog

Magister
In HoI2, history repeating itself is unlikely.

In HoI3, history repeating itself is impossible.

Which is not necessarily a problem, but in this case...

kris

Arcane
Szioul said:
I'm not entirely sure. I had Soviet Union never declare war on Poland after Germany did early 1939, instead they gained the rest of Poland the second Germany took Warsaw. Shortly after that they gave ultimatums to Baltic countries, who immediately folded and Winter War started in fucking July. They might've been bugs, or the AI been scripted to act unhistorically according to some unknown parameters.

Countries get "historical events" that they can trigger themself. They generally can trigger those earlier than what happened or they could do it later.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
It's probably possible to change the start date by editing the scenario files. But in general "1918" just represents any time before the start of the game.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Just download the nazi flag from wikipedia and paste it over the german flag file in the game. Hoi 3 flags are just flat images, all the fancy folds and stuff displayed in the game are applied dynamically.

For fuck's sake, why is that bothering you people? Isn't the whole point of this game to shape history? If you just want to see World War 2 all over again go watch fucking Discovery Channel.

sheek

Arbiter
Pro tip: if you have a multi-core switch the game's affinity to just one of your cores.

You do it through the Windows Task Manager while the game is running (right click HoI3.exe)

I think it has doubled performance.

xrm1

Educated
1.2 patch is out, I really should have bought HoI3 on impulse instead of gamersgate.

1-5Kb/s download speeds and providing mirrors = ZOMG HELPING THE PIRATES according to Paradox.

It's also great how game support and patch downloads are tied to their shitty forums where idiotic volunteer mods decide who gets the ban stick.

xrm1

Educated
If you can live with the map (till that map mod is done at least) and the 1.2 patch doesnt break half the game then I would say yes.
I dont need 5000 events to enjoy the game though and I dont rage over Australia's 1941 OOB being slightly wrong, people that do that should probably wait until the HoI3 version of SMEP or CORE is done.

Frau Bishop

Erudite
So after a month of play would you say this is this better than a medium rare steak and a couple of Mojitos plus some bonus dustbin item to fuck with while drunk?

MetalCraze

Arcane
According to a review on AG.ru they turned HoI from a grand strategy into a grand wargame (hence so many provinces, basicly akin to hexes) and a complex one at that. You can create armies from different type of units this time which is cool. I'll certainly get it when it will get fixed in a few years and won't put down my system with a whopping 10 polygons on the screen.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I still say that the biggest problem with HoI3 is Leadership system's current state making smaller (= funner) countries nigh impossible to play without tweaking the game files first.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
xrm1 said:
It's also great how game support and patch downloads are tied to their shitty forums where idiotic volunteer mods decide who gets the ban stick.
Then don't talk on these forums. No talking, no baning. I still wait for 1.3 patch, because 1.2 wont be enough.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Raghar said:
xrm1 said:
Then don't talk on these forums. No talking, no baning. I still wait for 1.3 patch, because 1.2 wont be enough.
It's surprisingly enough. The game runs smooth and the only real problem left is with the ridiculously low Leaderships smaller countries get slapped with.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom