Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Tick Tock Crocodile

Grand. I'll put Legends on the list, then.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Shadowverse. You pick 2 cards at a time and you have 2 choices. You get 2 legendaries at the start and end of the arena run, so you can kind of build your decks around them. You get to play 5 games no matter what and your reward is based on how many of those are wins. It's much better than Hearthstone outside of arena, too.

They give you like 5 standard packs and 10 expansion packs just by registering. Then you get another 5 expansion packs because of a current promotion that lasts until 28th of December. Bunch of gold and 10 arena tickets for playing through the story stuff. You can even buy the alternate heroes for the in-game gold equivalent of 5 packs.

Use an emulator to play it until they release it on Steam. Works perfectly with Leapdroid.

Also, Faeria is out and free on Steam. It has an interesting arena system. You get 1 free run per day, but it only goes up to 3 wins and you only get 10 gold for 1 win, 20 gold for 2 wins or 1/3rd of a real run for 3 wins.

http://faeria.gamepedia.com/Pandora_mode

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Grand. I'll put Legends on the list, then.

Also worth mentioning that, at least for now, ranked is enjoyable. Netdecking is not so widespread, there's a decent variety in decks and most importantly the percentage of shit cards is much lower thus encouraging experimentation.
Though, this might trigger those who can only play a card game if they already know all decks by heart and exactly what everybody will play on each turn.

Last edited:

Gregz

Arcane
Last edited:

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They are separated, yeah. I think you can tell if the account is EU or NA by the first number in the battletag, 1 for NA and 2 for EU.

Tick Tock Crocodile

Shadowverse (or Waifustone, as I tend to find myself dubbing it) is nice so far, though its take on the Arena mode seems more simplistic than that of HS, IMO. Picking between two pairs of cards all but guarantees that picks are pretty clear-cut, removing a good bit of decision-making. Getting a guaranteed legendary at the start is pretty fun since you can try and build a deck around it, but all told I think it's a bit too easy. Five matches isn't enough in my book, either. You don't get rewarded enough for doing well or get punished enough for sucking. Better than HS mechanically, sure (though I'm probably not setting the bar very high there), but the Arena system itself isn't great, I don't think.

Anyways, that's the only one I've had a chance to try so far. I had a go at Duelyst but it won't let you play the Arena mode at all until you finish a bunch of quests and I couldn't muster up the will (Why is this a thing? Just give me the tutorial and let me have at it, damn you).

Gregz IIRC you can only add folks from your server.

Last edited by a moderator:

GrainWetski

Arcane
Lol at Blizzard trying to trick players into losing all their gold just before an expansion with the "Heroic Brawl". Even the Reddit tards realize that's the only reason it exists.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
For Hearthstone’s best brawlers, 50 packs, a heap of Gold, piles of Arcane Dust, and three golden Legendaries sit at the end of the 12-win rainbow.

Heroic Brawl is not for the faint of heart, and is a unique experience meant for the extremely competitive and experienced Hearthstone player.

In other words, these awesum rewards will go almost exclusively to those who absolutely don't need any of it. Well played.

Explorerbc

Arcane
Yeah, you need to achieve a very high winrate to get the good rewards, which is rare in ladder.

It's gonna be interesting to watch streamers play it though. Theoretically most of them will get rekt too, but I wonder if some of the top ones can get consistent results.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, you need to achieve a very high winrate to get the good rewards, which is rare in ladder.

It's gonna be interesting to watch streamers play it though. Theoretically most of them will get rekt too, but I wonder if some of the top ones can get consistent results.

Kibler talked about it a while ago. Due to the RNG nature of Shamanstone the "best" players do have more wins than others but in the grand scheme of things it's still pitiful. For instance the best players are gonna win, say, 4 tournaments....out of 40 they play every year. The worse ones are gonna win 2 or less.

So skill does matter but it's only a relatively tiny factor in your success.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's a marketing gimmick to generate money and promote the game via streamers. Plebs will pay $10 thinking they have a shot and get stomped around the five or less win tier (at that point it's sort of break even but if you're paying with cash it's a win for Blizzard). Hell even if you're paying with gold it's still a win because it drains people of gold before the new expansion making it somewhat more likely they'll spend cash for new packs. The streamers will get 10+ wins and a bunch of cards, gold, and dust they don't need considering they're already monetarily underwritten by Twitch subs and YouTube views.

Wait, they're getting rid of regular brawl for "heroic" brawl? Am I mistaken, are they retarded or is adding 5th button just too much for them (since they're still forcing this shitty "happy box full of cards :^)" design)?
I'm so confused.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is replacing regular brawl, but only for a week, just like a normal one. Hope you didn't want that free pack, goy.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Looks like they're not doing it this week.

In waifu news, Shadowverse might be coming to Steam next week. They're doing maintenance to get ready for the Steam launch on the 26th.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's not even a tavern brawl. Only reason they're calling it that is because they're too lazy to expanding the existing UI to accommodate another mode.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It's not even a tavern brawl. Only reason they're calling it that is because they're too lazy to expanding the existing UI to accommodate another mode.

This. Plus a new button would make the average Hearthstone player head explode.

Rabbid

Savant
Hell even if you're paying with gold it's still a win because it drains people of gold before the new expansion making it somewhat more likely they'll spend cash for new packs.

Exactly. If you manage to "break even" by gaining some packs and dust, you already spent the only resource that will be relevant when the next expansion hits.

Edit: Looked into this Shadowverse card game. My eyes are bleeding now. As if there weren't enough wapanese abominations already.

Last edited:

Tick Tock Crocodile

Have to admit that Waifustone has been holding my interest -- probably helps that the short arenas make it very easy to f2p btw and you can get ahold of some fun decks quite quickly. It also has some Exodia-like stuff and other cheese that I missed in HS. Glad it's coming to PC.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
I'm watching this to see if Thijs finally wins this fucking thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom