Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

UglyBastard

Arcane
NA, and I haven't played a game since the first wing of Kara was revealed.

w00t? You missed out on the intricately designed PvE encounters? You didn't terrorize the ladder with a slightly improved cancerous Shaman deck? You had no chance to enjoy the random fun of the portal cards? Gotta get your priorities in life straight, men.

v1rus

Arcane
w00t? You missed out on the intricately designed PvE encounters?.

Well, gotta be honest, I rofled the hell out of my ass with that whole "Illidian has arrived. We are not prepared!" bit.

Besides that, meh. Screw Disney, long live Bakshi.

v1rus

Arcane
More people on the bnet friend list, the merrier. I will gladly sacrifice my precious time to help you with the "Battle a friend" quest. Yes, I'm that much of a bro.

Tho, am I the only one that keeps meeting people that play hearthstone? I know like 30+ people (from different social circles) that play it. Earlier today I was drinking with some random guy, and then he started talking about Hearthstone. And this happens like once in every two weeks.

v1rus

Arcane
Gays bars must have a Hearthstone scene or something.

Curiously enough, all the gays I know don't partake in multiplayer games. The one I know best is a huge PS:T fan, while his boyfriend is a Monkey Island fanatic.

Now that I think about it, they prolly dont feel the need to compete with their male brethren that way, since... well, you know, they have other ways to compete

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I have decided the most idiotic, offensive and altogether moronic card the retards from Blizzard have ever come up with is Yogg. No contest.

It reminds me the way we used to play football as kids. If one team was losing before it was time to go home they'd always say: "Last goal wins". Meaning whoever scores the next goal wins. You could play like a paralyzed retard with a hangover and losing 10:2 but at the end you had an almost one-to-one chance to score the last goal and win.

The same goes for Yogg. You're winning? Great, you're gonna win. You play like shit and you're losing? No worries, just toss out your Yogg and whatever happened in the game so far doesn't matter in the slightest. Yogg can cast Doom, twice CotW a Pyro in your opponent's face and bingo, you win.

Makes me wonder - why don't we get a 1-mana card saying "Battlecry: You have a 50% chance of winning the game instanty." Games would be fast, simple and exciting no? Wow, I could work for Blizzard.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Tuskarr Totemic is just as badly designed. Reasonably costed card -- with 3/7 chance to completely wreck your shit while simultaneously synergizing with the rest of the deck.

Shaman is dominating the ladder every which way and Blizzard is just sitting there not balancing things as usual. :retarded:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Tuskarr Totemic is just as badly designed.

Yeah, that's a stupid card too. Also Flamewreath ofc. (coining a 7/7 on turn 3, such fun).

And Thing from Below. Jesus Christ. Power-wise TfB is by far the most idiotic card in the game. I've seen a Shaman throwing out a Tuskarr (Golem) - Flamewreath - TfB - TfB on fucking turn seven (or eight, can't remember but it was pretty early in the game). That's 23/25 power, on turn seven, for 7 mana, on an empty board. I mean are the devs complete retards of what?

But Yogg is a different kind of idiocy - it fundamentally changes the way the game works.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Tuskarr Totemic is just as badly designed.

Yeah, that's a stupid card too. Also Flamewreath ofc. (coining a 7/7 on turn 3, such fun).

And Thing from Below. Jesus Christ. Power-wise TfB is by far the most idiotic card in the game. I've seen a Shaman throwing out a Tuskarr (Golem) - Flamewreath - TfB - TfB on fucking turn seven (or eight, can't remember but it was pretty early in the game). That's 23/25 power, on turn seven, for 7 mana, on an empty board. I mean are the devs complete retards of what?

But Yogg is a different kind of idiocy - it fundamentally changes the way the game works.
I feel like TfB would make more sense if Shaman didn't have Tunnel Trogg - Tuskarr x Golem - Flamewreathed. It would mean they were using hero power for several turns in the manner of a control deck with little to respond to/with.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Thing From Below shouldn't have taunt, that's my feeling. It's the taunt that comes in and usually closes out games by preventing lethal while simultaneously providing a pretty big threat. Think about the Veklar Emperor Twins. That's 7-mana for two taunt 4/6's if you have the activator. Thing From Below is typically two 0-mana 5/5's with taunt. I don't know why it has taunt when it's already an amazing card with zero drawbacks and has only gotten stronger with the next adventure.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Had a boring all-day conference today so downloaded Herpstone on muh iphone. Apparently you get a free pack for that and in it was a legendary: Gruul. Crap card but one I surprisingly didn't have. Think I have all bout four or so of the Classic legendaries.

v1rus

Arcane
Had a boring all-day conference today so downloaded Herpstone on muh iphone. Apparently you get a free pack for that and in it was a legendary: Gruul. Crap card but one I surprisingly didn't have. Think I have all bout four or so of the Classic legendaries.

I'm seriously jelly. I'm missing like ten myself?

I bought the welcome bundle the other day and got Grom for my class leg and then opened Malygos. Were two of the only classic legs I was missing. Not bad for $5.
Still haven't pulled Sylvanas or Harrison though. :rage:

I think the only other one I'm missing is King Crush.

Ninjerk

Arcane
https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthston...public_application_to_blizzard_position_game/

Hello,

I am Rythmc, and I would like to apply for the position of Game Balance Designer.

I believe I am very suitable for the position; I have no prior experience designing cards or working on card games. I have the absolute passion required for this position, and spend most of my waking life browsing the Hearthstone subreddit. Below are my comments on 5 of the best designed cards in Hearthstone, as well as 40 cards I designed myself to demonstrate my suitability for this position.

Here are the 5 cards I have chosen that I believe are the most well designed.
Flamewreathed Faceless: Excellent design and demonstrates Blizzard’s ability to design cards to adjust the metagame according to the current situation. The Overload effect was clearly thoughtfully designed with Tunnel Trogg synergy in mind.

Tuskarr Totemic: Sheer brilliance. A huge degree of skill is required to play this card, as the player must quickly adapt to the situation after a new Totem is summoned. For example, if it’s a Totem Golem, it is often ideal to go face. If it’s a Flametongue Totem, skilled Shaman players will … go face. How about Mana Tide? Go face (and draw a card)... Okay, those were not the best examples. Actually, I believe the beauty of this card’s design stems from the decisions it gives your opponent. Suddenly, the opposing player has an obstacle (e.g. a 3 mana 6/6) that requires a lot of skill to handle.

Firelands Portal: In Arena, it was previously too easy for skilled players to play around Flamestrike by playing less small minions, so I believe it was an excellent idea to print a Common card that punished them instead for playing less, medium-sized, minions (Big sized minions, of course, get Fireballed/Polymorphed/Flame Lanced, so that’s been dealt with as well). Of course, this greatly increases decision making for both players - the opposing player needs to be prepared to play minions that aren’t small, medium-sized nor big, and the Mage player would need to use Firelands Portal correctly, which can be difficult, as the overwhelming urge to target face instead of a minion even when the enemy has a high amount of health can be detrimental to the judgment of many players. As Mage was clearly struggling as a class in Arena and was lacking enough removal and value generating cards, it was obvious that a card that generated both value and tempo would help the class greatly.

Call of the Wild: Allows players to come back and instantly win the game is an extremely fun thing. All players should know the satisfying feeling of winning after a comeback. It is, however, frustrating to have a win taken from you, so Call of the Wild was clearly also designed with this in mind, making it impossible to lose if you are ahead.

Yogg-Saron: As discussed in my notes on one of the cards I made, I believe RNG is essential to the game because it promotes skill. Additionally, this card appears in many Trolden videos, and is one of the most talked about cards currently. This card has become central to Hearthstone, demonstrating its importance. I believe that moving this card to the Classic set would be ideal, as rotating it out would damage the soul of the game.

Below are my 40 cards, sorted into classes. I have tried to keep them as authentic and close to Blizzard's own design philosophy as possible; this, of course, includes the odd text inconsistency and orphan.

Mage: http://imgur.com/a/R0GMm

Rogue: http://imgur.com/a/L0UKD

Hunter: http://imgur.com/a/yrzvP

Druid: http://imgur.com/a/bjFqY

Warrior: http://imgur.com/a/nOFuZ

Paladin: http://imgur.com/a/XUk8I

Warlock: http://imgur.com/a/1DicC

Shaman: http://imgur.com/a/VvpqU

Priest: http://imgur.com/a/3NwqO

Neutral: http://imgur.com/a/8QfVK

I hope you have enjoyed looking at my ideas, especially those regarding the future of Hearthstone. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
tLdS3BH.png
OOwsugo.png

:lol:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Blizzard doing some nerfing.

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/20303031/upcoming-balance-changes-update-613-9-28-2016

Tuskarr finally got fixed. Abusive Sergeant finally got fixed. Yogg-Saron got fixed.

They killed another deck archetype (Charge), because what better way to bring variance to ladder than to keep killing decks wholesale. They nerfed Rockbiter and Execute to 2-mana. Not sure why on either. 2-mana for 3-attack is pretty shit compared to what most other classes can do, and seems wildly overcosted compared to those cousin cards. Considering Shaman's basic cards are garbage and they might weaken again once a lot of their new power cards rotate out, I'm gonna chock this up to Blizzard tunnel vision. Not sure where I stand on Execute, but at 2-mana it weakens it greatly. I think the strongest card Warrior has right now is the Ravaging Ghoul as it sets up so many things, including Execute. Oh well.

Call of the Wild at 9-mana is probably closer to its actual value so I've no problem there. I think CotW is the strongest card in the game, and even then Hunter is still middling enough just to be competitive on ladder.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
OTK Worgen was moronic. They're definitely shying away from charge mechanics given their recent design decisions. Rockbiter nerf is probably meant to impact aggro Shaman. Execete, not sure, since it impacts Control Warriors more and they weren't exactly dominant on the ladder. It's still playable and one of the best removals. Abusive never really struck me as a problem, at least, not the 2 attack part of it. Card will still be used because it's the attack buff to another minion that makes it see play.

Never thought CoTW was overpowered. Hunters have to draw and play on curve to win. The class has little in the way of reliable removal and no good board clears outside of explosive trap which doesn't help much mid/late game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom