Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Have we hit PEAK RPG?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
On the contrary, we hit rock bottom a while ago. We are getting some small inclines yearly and that is all.
Yes, CRPGs hit rock bottom in what I refer to as the Wasteland Era (no relation to the game Wasteland) of 2003-2011, when only a handful of CRPGs worth playing were released. Since then, there have been niche developers creating Incline by looking backward to classic CRPGs in order push the genre forward, though they remain a distinct minority in the genre.

Legend of Grimrock (2012)
Paper Sorceror (2013)
Legend of Grimrock II (2014)
Underrail (2015)
Age of Decadence (2015)
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (2012/2013/2016)
The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (2016)
Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar (2017)
Kingdom Come: Deliverance (2018)

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
RPGS are in a better place now than they ever have been. The only reason a lot of the boomers here hate them is because they're not pretentious glorified spreadsheet simulators like in the past. Games like The Witcher 3 have really pushed the art form forward and provided an industry standard for what rpgs should be, they should feel like you're taking part in an epic hollywood movie. "b-but i don't have 3000 dialogue options!" Who the heck cares? Just face it, theres a reason hardly anyone plays the first 2 fallout games (they're boring trash).

I agree with this position but saying so on the Codex is like going into a convention of 80 year olds and telling them their time had ended. Won't end well. LOL.

Seriously though, RPG is a very broad term, there are many subgenres of RPG games. We do get plenty of good RPGs to play today, but they tend to have different negatives and show a constant progression towards becoming interactive movies and action-adventure games.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I am sure this has nothing to do with demographics and relative IQ differences between evolutionary population groups.

You realize this was a joke, right? I literally just said it a few posts above... Damn some people are so intend in confirming any theory...
Nothing you said is a joke, though, it's actually happening, you absolute mong. It's also impossible to tell when something you say is a joke, because everything you write is retarded.

Black Angel

Arcane
Yes, CRPGs hit rock bottom in what I refer to as the Wasteland Era (no relation to the game Wasteland) of 2003-2011, when only a handful of CRPGs worth playing were released. Since then, there have been niche developers creating Incline by looking backward to classic CRPGs in order push the genre forward, though they remain a distinct minority in the genre.

Legend of Grimrock (2012)
Paper Sorceror (2013)
Legend of Grimrock II (2014)
Underrail (2015)
Age of Decadence (2015)
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (2012/2013/2016)
The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (2016)
Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar (2017)
Kingdom Come: Deliverance (2018)
Oh look, the guy with the avatar below
16853.jpg

Rated this post
rating_shit.png
because he believed that if a game he's shilling on failed sales-wise, it means no more isometric crpgs for us. So any other games he's not shilling on means jackshit to him/her/it, even if those other games at least satisfied the devs sales-wise (taking scope, size of their company, their target audience etc etc into consideration, of course).

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
16853.jpg

Rated this post
rating_shit.png
because he believed that if a game he's shilling on failed sales-wise, it means no more isometric crpgs for us. So any other games he's not shilling on means jackshit to him/her/it, even if those other games at least satisfied the devs sales-wise (taking scope, size of their company, their target audience etc etc into consideration, of course).

Are you fucking kidding me?

The guy listed SHIT GAMES and claimed those were incline...

1. Legend of Grimrock 1 and 2 : SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT. Those weren't even proper blobers. They were realtime ffs. With a magic system that was hot garbage. They had the appearence of an 80s game without its soul. Only a fucking moron would think those 2 were incline.

2. Underrail. HAHAHAHAHAHA. Seriously? Just because it is a clone of Fallout with 90s graphics and no soul, means that it is incline? There is a reason this game is like 70 on metacritic, and it is not because it was good.

3. Age of Decadence. Has its problems, but it is incline, will give you that

4. Dragon Dogma: The main reason for the shit rating. Seriously, any popamoler who defends this should stop posting here and just frequent the weeaboo subsection.

5. Kingdom Come Deliverance. This is not "incline". At least not by codex standards. One thing you RETARDS have to understand, is that if you want to post your shitty opinions and people to take you seriously, you need to be CONSISTENT. You people trashtalk Skyrim all day long yet you claim KCD was incline? Seriously? Like SERIOUSLY?

6. Grimoire? What is a grimoire? Is it edible?

7. Haven't played the other 2 but they are probably shit.

So there you have it, the reason for the shit rating. Those games are not incline. And i am not "shilling" for anything. I don't give a fuck about Obsidian and i trash talk New Vegas all day long. Because i find many games of Obsidian are overrated.

Just because i have eyes and can see that the PoE games were good, does not mean i am shilling you fuck.

Black Angel

Arcane
16853.jpg

Rated this post
rating_shit.png

1. Legend of Grimrock 1 and 2 : SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT. Those weren't even proper blobers. They were realtime ffs. With a magic system that was hot garbage. They had the appearence of an 80s game without its soul. Only a fucking moron would think those 2 were incline.

2. Underrail. HAHAHAHAHAHA. Seriously? Just because it is a clone of Fallout with 90s graphics and no soul, means that it is incline? There is a reason this game is like 70 on metacritic, and it is not because it was good.

4. Dragon Dogma: The main reason for the shit rating. Seriously, any popamoler who defends this should stop posting here and just frequent the weeaboo subsection.

5. Kingdom Come Deliverance. This is not "incline". At least not by codex standards. One thing you RETARDS have to understand, is that if you want to post your shitty opinions and people to take you seriously, you need to be CONSISTENT. You people trashtalk Skyrim all day long yet you claim KCD was incline? Seriously? Like SERIOUSLY?

6. Grimoire? What is a grimoire? Is it edible?

7. Haven't played the other 2 but they are probably shit.

So there you have it, the reason for the shit rating. Those games are not incline. And i am not "shilling" for anything. I don't give a fuck about Obsidian and i trash talk New Vegas all day long. Because i find many games of Obsidian are overrated.

Just because i have eyes and can see that the PoE games were good, does not mean i am shilling you fuck.
Well, will you look at that
:butthurt:

I see that there's seems not enough reason to tag you with
bethestard.png
(yet), I'm satisfied you're marked with
fanboy.png
but looking at the way you make the post I quoted, I hereby petition to tag you with
OnTheEdge.png

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Well, will you look at that
:butthurt:

I see that there's seems not enough reason to tag you with
bethestard.png
(yet), I'm satisfied you're marked with
fanboy.png
but looking at the way you make the post I quoted, I hereby petition to tag you with
OnTheEdge.png

Indeed. But I don't think any current tag would suffice for this peculiar specimen.

In fact, I don't think this thing is even of zoological stock, which is why I haven't drawn upon my usual insults of "ape", "mutt" or even "low worm."

The stench of its shitposting points to some kind of odious fungus, slime or bacteria. Any microbiologists on the 'Dex?

Then, perhaps we can come up with a suitable tag.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Indeed. But I don't think any current tag would suffice for this peculiar specimen.

In fact, I don't think this thing is even of zoological stock, which is why I haven't drawn upon my usual insults of "ape", "mutt" or even "low worm."

The stench of its shitposting points to some kind of odious fungus, slime or bacteria. Any microbiologists on the 'Dex?

Then, perhaps we can come up with a suitable tag.

Doesn't matter what label you butthurt people use. You can't silence the truth.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
16853.jpg

Rated this post
rating_shit.png

Dude, do you even Dungeon Master?

That is just low quality bait.

At least you had enough decency to acknowledge that AoD is pretty fucking good.

Theldaran

Liturgist
So... Are you meaning that the small incline we've received recently is just self-deception? Figures...

I also "tried" Grimrock and found it disappointing.

Still RPGs thrive commercially, even in their hideous AAA form, if that's your thing. Keep your Fallout 76, and give me Stygian and Druidstone. You even have halfway works like Greedfall.

Doktor Best

Arcane
There is no peak, it just keeps climbing. We're in an age where great RPGs come out and we can still play the ancient classics and enjoy them, some of them even getting remakes or updates now 20 years later. The incline is real and we're living in it. Golden Age that just keeps getting better. :positive:

This is pretty much it. Even if theres only one decent rpg coming out per year, it would mean the number of decent rpgs rises by one each year, eg increases. Therefor incline is infinite, whereas decline is only temporary.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
what with Kingmaker, Grimoire, Bard's Tale IV, Pillars 2, Might & Magic X, and maybe Dungeons of Aledorn soon, on top of old stuff like the IE games and Jagged Alliance 2, I think the RPG genre can now just fold in on itself.

You had a good run, it's only going downhill from here. Good night sweet prince.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
There is no peak, it just keeps climbing. We're in an age where great RPGs come out and we can still play the ancient classics and enjoy them, some of them even getting remakes or updates now 20 years later. The incline is real and we're living in it. Golden Age that just keeps getting better. :positive:

This is pretty much it. Even if theres only one decent rpg coming out per year, it would mean the number of decent rpgs rises by one each year, eg increases. Therefore incline is infinite, whereas decline is only temporary.

That's not how this shit works, I'm afraid.

When someone like fluent discovers Fallout for the first time - 21 years after it came out - that isn't indicative of current gen incline. Fallout is representative of Renaissance era incline, not the current gen. Current gen "gamers" (if you want to call them that) are just parasites feeding off the Renaissance, and trying to ascribe those games to their era and themselves, in a sad attempt to make themselves feel better about the dire situation in which they find themselves (the current gen).

When Beamdog remake or update BG, IWD and PS:T, that isn't incline. Again, that's going parasitical on the Renaissance era.

Then they try and sell you stuff like this. That's your current industry in a nutshell.

When Kickstarter after Kickstarter cite Renaissance RPGs as their influence in their pitch to the public, again, this is just parasitism of the Renaissance.

In short, stop telling yourself lies. Your widescreen mods and emulators are not indicative of incline. The fact that you are playing Renaissance RPGs just shows how much your current gen era sucks ass and swallows, and is symptomatic of decline - abyssal decline.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted Member 16721

When someone like fluent discovers Fallout for the first time - 21 years after it came out - that isn't indicative of current gen incline. Fallout is representative of Renaissance era incline, not the current gen. Current gen "gamers" (if you want to call them that) are just parasites feeding off the Renaissance, and trying to ascribe those games to their era and themselves, in a sad attempt to make themselves feel better about the dire situation in which they find themselves (the current gen).

When Beamdog remake or update BG, IWD and PS:T, that isn't incline. Again, that's going parasitical on the Renaissance era.

Then they try and sell you stuff like this. That's your current industry in a nutshell.

When Kickstarter after Kickstarter cite Renaissance RPGs as their influence in their pitch to the public, again, this is just parasitism of the Renaissance.

In short, stop telling yourself lies. Your widescreen mods and emulators are not indicative of incline. The fact that you are playing Renaissance RPGs just shows how much your current gen era sucks ass and swallows, and is symptomatic of decline - abyssal decline.

In my opinion, anyone, whether young or old being exposed and discovering Renaissance Era RPGs is incline in itself. It means that we have the means and technology to still enjoy these games and the possibility of newcomers (like myself) to explore them and discover them for the first time. Had we not had Steam, GOG, etc., it would have been harder to do that, so all this together equals incline.

I don't pay attention to what most AAA devs are doing. We're in an era where AA devs are thriving and making niche RPGs, and indie devs and 1 and 2 person teams are making niche RPGs too. You call it parasitism but it's bringing us new good RPGs to play. I just can't be that cynical about it when I literally have 200+ quality RPGs sitting in my Steam and GOG library right now. It's definitely been an incline period for me, after first playing Gothic 1 in 2013 or so, then Baldur's Gate and more that I missed out on as a kid. That's a pretty cool thing and I know I'm not the only one doing it, as I have a friend that also discovers these RPGs for the first time and he's younger than I am.

Emulators, widescreen mods, unofficial patches, Steam workshop, mods and more are incline to me. We can't have the Renaissance Era back so why look to the past and be upset about it? Enjoy what we have now and continue to get from devs. There's a few games like Underrail, Age of Decadence, Kingmaker and more that would have been classics if released in the past as well. I can't see that as anything but pure incline (and continuing in that direction). Even if AA devs start putting out worse RPGs, new devs will move in to give the niche audience what they want. We literally can't lose at this point.

the_shadow

Arcane

In my opinion, anyone, whether young or old being exposed and discovering Renaissance Era RPGs is incline in itself. It means that we have the means and technology to still enjoy these games and the possibility of newcomers (like myself) to explore them and discover them for the first time. Had we not had Steam, GOG, etc., it would have been harder to do that, so all this together equals incline.

I don't pay attention to what most AAA devs are doing. We're in an era where AA devs are thriving and making niche RPGs, and indie devs and 1 and 2 person teams are making niche RPGs too. You call it parasitism but it's bringing us new good RPGs to play. I just can't be that cynical about it when I literally have 200+ quality RPGs sitting in my Steam and GOG library right now. It's definitely been an incline period for me, after first playing Gothic 1 in 2013 or so, then Baldur's Gate and more that I missed out on as a kid. That's a pretty cool thing and I know I'm not the only one doing it, as I have a friend that also discovers these RPGs for the first time and he's younger than I am.

Emulators, widescreen mods, unofficial patches, Steam workshop, mods and more are incline to me. We can't have the Renaissance Era back so why look to the past and be upset about it? Enjoy what we have now and continue to get from devs. There's a few games like Underrail, Age of Decadence, Kingmaker and more that would have been classics if released in the past as well. I can't see that as anything but pure incline (and continuing in that direction). Even if AA devs start putting out worse RPGs, new devs will move in to give the niche audience what they want. We literally can't lose at this point.

Yeah, and garbage games have been present in every era of gaming anyway, it's just our memory is rather selective and we block them out. Also, some of the older gamers forget that games are actually way cheaper today compared with what you got back in the early 1990's, probably because they were kids at the time and didn't actually have to pay for stuff. For example, an episode of the Commander Keen 5 or 6 by ID software (the AAA devs of the day) was about US$30 in 1990, which is about $58 today, and that was for a side-scroller you could blow through in a few hours. Doom and Heretic were about $40 in 1994, which is about $68 today.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom