Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Have we hit PEAK RPG?

Falksi

Arcane
Whilst the decline was very evident, there has been hope...........

Shadowrun-Dragonfall-Directors-Cut-660x330.jpg

5af15e6b5bafe3f0eb7557e8

capsule_616x353.jpg

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
No. But we have hit peak intelligence. IQ ratings have been dropping for a century. People are getting dumber by the decade. I see teenagers around and i say to myself "damn those kids are retards", all the time. I feel old already. Fuck. Time flies. I still remember the time i used to be a retard teenager myself.

In 50 years the most sophisticated rpg around will be Diablo Immortals 5.0

Deleted Member 16721

There is no peak, it just keeps climbing. We're in an age where great RPGs come out and we can still play the ancient classics and enjoy them, some of them even getting remakes or updates now 20 years later. The incline is real and we're living in it. Golden Age that just keeps getting better. :positive:

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Yeah, 8 years ago. Alpha Protocol has yet to be beat.

YOU FUCKING FAGGOT I SWEAR YOU'LL BE RAPED BY ANGRY ANIMALS SOME DAY

The game is awful. Obsidian is so shit they couldn't even get fucking controls right and you have to modify ini file to aim precisely. Like wtf dude what the hell is this shit? BUT MAH DIALOGHE OPTHIUNS. So fucking what. You'll get slightly different flavor of cutscene woah woah you're so great. It's one of these gaymes that people "love" except when you tell them to play it they'll scream and shout because it's so shit. They only want to watch cutscene-dialogues, no wonder, the rest is crap.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don’t know about peak rpgs. However, my Peak jacket is the best jacket I have ever owned.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
YOU FUCKING FAGGOT I SWEAR YOU'LL BE RAPED BY ANGRY ANIMALS SOME DAY

The game is awful. Obsidian is so shit they couldn't even get fucking controls right and you have to modify ini file to aim precisely. Like wtf dude what the hell is this shit? BUT MAH DIALOGHE OPTHIUNS. So fucking what. You'll get slightly different flavor of cutscene woah woah you're so great. It's one of these gaymes that people "love" except when you tell them to play it they'll scream and shout because it's so shit. They only want to watch cutscene-dialogues, no wonder, the rest is crap.

Preach brotha!

Typical (C&C) storyfags. Storyfags are cancer.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Has somebody topped?:

1. Fallout
2. World of Xeen
3. Gothic
4. Wizardry 7
5. Deus Ex
6. ToEE
7. Jagged Alliance 2
8. Ultima 7

Yes. Unless you are living under a rock, all of those games have been topped in their genre except Jagged alliance 2. Just because something has more than 1 polygon on screen and a resolution above 320p does not mean it is garbage. You should upgrade your Windows 3.11 computer and play some newer games, man...

PS: ToEE is garbage. One of the biggest dissappointments i ever bought on release day. I don't understand why spergs hype up this shit. It is trash.

I wouldn't say it's peaked, so much as recovered lost ground. Returning to RPG roots has improved the landscape drastically. There has finally been real efforts to address the "EA cinematic console experience" which has poisoned the well. I'd say we are overall close to being back on par back to where things were before 2002. There is great potential to surpass that era, but that's limited by someone catching lightning in a bottle just as they were doing then.

My big question for RPGs as a genre, is how to improve on the non-combat experience? Thus far we've got a dichotomy between combat and clicking through menus (dialogues, skill checks in CYOA, etc). Ironically, lock-picking in Fallout 3 and hacking in Alpha Protocol is probably the only real progress I've seen in that regard. Can investigation be made as mechanically engaging as combat? What about dialogue? Are some things too abstract to be simulated in clear and (more importantly) entertaining manner? How consequential does an activity have to be before it deserves mechanics as in depth as combat?

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Of course not. I have not even released my game yet. :positive:

:abyssgazer:

I don't get your reaction. Are you claiming that because ToEE's best part was its implementation of DnD combat, that it was an enjoyable game to play? It didn't even have a good campaign to do combat on dude...

Good combat has to work, work well, work long enough, and be varied enough. Icewind Dale had great combat. ToEE had garbage combat. Even though ToEE implementation of DnD was far better than IWD. The implementation alone, without a great campaign means nothing to non-spergs. It is like having a great cooking pot and being so excited you got that fancy cooking pot with no food to cook inside it...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom